Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon or Cube road bike?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

_DMac_ wrote: »
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-al-7.0/2392.html?dwvar_2392_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FBK&dwvar_2392_pv_rahmengroesse=L&quantity=1

Or

https://www.pennyfarthingcycles.com/7058/products/2020-cube-attain-sl-endurance-road-bike-in-black.aspx

Any recommendations? There is only €40 in the difference by the time delivery is paid for on the canyon.

BTW for the purchase.

Anyone any experience with either of these bikes or should I hold off for a little while and see if any newer bikes are released with better value for money/specs?

Thanks in advance

I just bought a giant defy advanced 2 2020 out of the penny farthing. They didn't have it ready for the morning they said they would so the owner delivered the bike to my house at 7pm that night and had stuck 2 free bottle holders on the bike as a good will gesture and apologised for the delay. He asked me to cycle the bike up and down the road to make sure I was happy with it before leaving. It was nice to see that.

I was going to to go for the cube attain sl about 2 months ago as I heard they are a very good bike. I had a cube nuroad 2018 and it was a solid, well made and comfortable bike. I sold my motorbike so was able to add another 1k so went with the giant carbon. 105 is a very groupset too.

I honestly would not buy a bike online if thats the only way to buy the canyon but it does look like a good value bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

For the extra 40 euro in my mind it’s worth it to get full hydraulic disc brakes. The difference between rim or disc is usually about 250

I’ve the 2019 sl attain disc. Can’t fault it.

God the welds on that Canyon belong in the images of ugly thread and the wait time of 1-2 months is from hell.

Curiosity makes me wonder why some alu frames come with unsmoothed welds like that, I'm sure there has to be a reason besides cost? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Canyon will offer the best performance if you want to go racing, cube will be a nicer alrounder better brakes etc.
    Are you using bike to work? Might consider the used market.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

God the welds on that Canyon belong in the images of ugly thread and the wait time of 1-2 months is from hell.

Curiosity makes me wonder why some alu frames come with unsmoothed welds like that, I'm sure there has to be a reason besides cost? :confused:

Quicker to manufacture maybe, I think I saw somewhere that smoothed welds may result in a weaker frame

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the canyon is photographed the right way up, and the cube is photographed upside down. so the canyon it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yeah they’re pretty poor looking. I have a 2018
    Attain and they’re a very nice comfortable bike. Mine is the entry level Claris rim brake model but it’s an excellent bike and I picked it up for a steal (failed BTW cyclist who had great ambition but cycled it 4km and gave up) The welds are almost invisible on it too.

They’re probably both very equal so pick which ever one you like the look of best.

I've had 4 bikes in the last year all with different types of brakes.
    I had a trek with hydraulic , then went to a LaPierre with calipers, then a cube with mechanical and now I'm back to hydraulic.
    Hydraulic are a million times better than calipers. Especially in the wet which we have plenty of over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I've had 4 bikes in the last year .

Good to see Someone takes n+1 serious

ted1 wrote: »
    Good to see Someone takes n+1 serious

What's n +1 ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's how many bikes you should own, with n being the current number of bikes you own.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

It's how many bikes you should own, with n being the current number of bikes you own.

So to keep in with n+1 I should just buy both bikes is what I'm getting here. Great idea ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

_DMac_ wrote: »
    So to keep in with n+1 I should just buy both bikes is what I'm getting here. Great idea ðŸ˜

Won't make any difference, the equation has to be applied regardless

Own 1 bike? The correct number of bikes for you is 1+1

Own 3 bikes? The correct number of bikes for you is 3+1

Like most things in life, there is the exception that proves the rule. Mostly it's your wife...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

cletus wrote: »
    Like most things in life, there is the exception that proves the rule. Mostly it's your wife...

If I get another black bike she might not notice it.....

Advertisement