Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire A315 - 51

Options
  • 15-05-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I have the above laptop. Its absolutely awful. Slow.

Ram 4GB - Processor - i3-702u 2.30 GB

I cant really afford a new one.

I like the look and feel of it , nice keyboard etc. nice screen.

I have the following offers. Appreciate any (constructive) advice.

1. RAM UPGRADE TO 12GB (50 E) NEW 480 GB SSD (90E) INSTALL FRESH W10.

2. RAM UPGRADE TO 8GB AND THE 480SSD W.10

It is windows 10 anyway ....

From googling the difference between 8 GB and 12 GB , is nothing overly impressive...there is a price difference of about 50/60 euro between quote 1 and 2.

Use really is general googling , watching you tube /social media /word.

it does these these tasks reasonably ok albeit slowly and seems to be continually loading /reloading...i am sick of resetting it to factory settings to try get it going a small bit faster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I have the above laptop. Its absolutely awful. Slow.

Ram 4GB - Processor - i3-702u 2.30 GB

I cant really afford a new one.

I like the look and feel of it , nice keyboard etc. nice screen.

I have the following offers. Appreciate any (constructive) advice.

1. RAM UPGRADE TO 12GB (50 E) NEW 480 GB SSD (90E) INSTALL FRESH W10.

2. RAM UPGRADE TO 8GB AND THE 480SSD W.10

It is windows 10 anyway ....

From googling the difference between 8 GB and 12 GB , is nothing overly impressive...there is a price difference of about 50/60 euro between quote 1 and 2.

Use really is general googling , watching you tube /social media /word.

it does these these tasks reasonably ok albeit slowly and seems to be continually loading /reloading...i am sick of resetting it to factory settings to try get it going a small bit faster

Anyone !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

An SSD and 8gb ram should speed it up a lot. For what you use it for you don't need a power horse.

Have you much installed that would be slowing it down?

DopeTech wrote: »
    An SSD and 8gb ram should speed it up a lot. For what you use it for you don't need a power horse.

Have you much installed that would be slowing it down?

Thanks for reply. It’s really if it’s worth paying the extra to go from 8 GB TO 12 GB , the SSD Drive and the 8 GB SEEMS to be sufficient to speed it up , I am glad you think so.

No I’ve actually very little on it , for that reason.
    As I’m typing here funnily enough it’s showing on WiFi 2.75 mbps speed test which is brutal but it was 80 odd last night !
    I suppose that the wireless card is separate ? It hardly is included within the new RAM /SSD drive ?
    Thks

Thanks for reply. It’s really if it’s worth paying the extra to go from 8 GB TO 12 GB , the SSD Drive and the 8 GB SEEMS to be sufficient to speed it up , I am glad you think so.

No I’ve actually very little on it , for that reason.
    As I’m typing here funnily enough it’s showing on WiFi 2.75 mbps speed test which is brutal but it was 80 odd last night !
    I suppose that the wireless card is separate ? It hardly is included within the new RAM /SSD drive ?
    Thks

That just sounds like you have issues with your internet provider or your WiFi network. Are you close to your router? Do the speeds improve if you connect to the router over a wire? What internet service provider are you with?

Unlikely anything is wrong with the wireless card itself. For your needs I'd just go with 8gb.

That just sounds like you have issues with your internet provider or your WiFi network. Are you close to your router? Do the speeds improve if you connect to the router over a wire? What internet service provider are you with?

Unlikely anything is wrong with the wireless card itself. For your needs I'd just go with 8gb.

I will check now and plug into router it’s showing 90 mbps on iPhone at same location , are wireless cards fairly standard as regards , how they utilise internet speeds?
    Thks

• Advertisement

I will check now and plug into router it’s showing 90 mbps on iPhone at same location , are wireless cards fairly standard as regards , how they utilise internet speeds?
    Thks

No Ethernet port of course on the acer ...not sure if this wireless card and slow speed (3mpbs now) will affect the , usefulness of upgrading the SSD and RAM ?

Are you the only person logged in on the laptop? If anyone else is still logged in in the background they could be downloading/uploading torrents or anything that could affect the speeds for you. If you open task manager and go to the users tab you will see who is logged and and if there is anyone else there you can log them out or ask them to log themselves out to avoid them losing anything not saved etc.

No Ethernet port of course on the acer ...not sure if this wireless card and slow speed (3mpbs now) will affect the , usefulness of upgrading the SSD and RAM ?

WiFi speed would be totally unrelated to SSD and memory. What speed are you getting on the iPhone right now?

What provider are you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Does it currently have an SSD or just a normal hard drive? Normal hard drives are way, way slower than SSD's.

But what you're talking about sounds like a bad internet connection more than anything.

Homelander wrote: »
    Does it currently have an SSD or just a normal hard drive? Normal hard drives are way, way slower than SSD's.

But what you're talking about sounds like a bad internet connection more than anything.

Thanks a mill lads very helpful. So , I went into device manager. Selected wireless card ... and updated the driver ( which took a while !) so it was just over 2mbps it’s now 85mbps so that’s a big improvement.... I wonder would that be because i reset it to factory settings , and the driver didn’t update ?

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »

Oh just a normal drive , I’m thinking of upgrading it to SSD - and up ram from 4 GB to 8 GB

I wonder would that be because i reset it to factory settings , and the driver didn’t update ?

That'll be it!

That'll be it!

Super it’s lightening fast now lol 😂!!!!
    Boards is great ðŸ‘

Last thing ... I wonder is there a one for all way to “update “ ALL Drivers “ / to ensure it’s running as best it can!?

Thanks all ðŸ‘

Super it’s lightening fast now lol 😂!!!!
    Boards is great ðŸ‘

Last thing ... I wonder is there a one for all way to “update “ ALL Drivers “ / to ensure it’s running as best it can!?

Thanks all ðŸ‘

There isn't a way update all at once. Windows update is meant to keep things up to date but often installs generic drivers for things. This isn't an issue 99% of the time but in some cases the manufacturers drivers are best. You can get them all by going to the Acer website and entering in the serial number of your laptop

Advertisement