Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out - bicycle recommendations megathread (see summary in OP)

Options

Comments

He was likely riding a mtb with his wrists in the 9 and 3 position exclusively, on a road bike you have multiple positions and the "road buzz" we have here compared to roads in Europe is not an excuse for suspension, a good bike will absorb most of that through the forks. Not to say you won't notice the difference between a french road and an irish one though on the same bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Ivan1983 wrote: »
    A friend (cyclist) told me that he wouldn't buy bike with rigid fork beacuse of vibrations to the wrists, but that must be on long term (like more than 10 years) so I actually shouldn't worry... or?

EDIT: yes, I'm planing to fitness cycling only on the asphalt road.

I had a 2019 trek ds 2 with suspension that locked in or out. I never used the suspension. It just slowed the bike down and made it more heavy.
    Decent fat tyres and thick comfy bar grips will take away a lot of the roads imperfections.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ivan1983

He was likely riding a mtb with his wrists in the 9 and 3 position exclusively, on a road bike you have multiple positions and the "road buzz" we have here compared to roads in Europe is not an excuse for suspension, a good bike will absorb most of that through the forks. Not to say you won't notice the difference between a french road and an irish one though on the same bike.

I'm buying hybrid (with flat handlebar)... I have 100 kg and those road bikes with tiny tyres don't look sturdy enough for me :-)
    byrnem31 wrote: »
    I had a 2019 trek ds 2 with suspension that locked in or out. I never used the suspension. It just slowed the bike down and made it more heavy.
    Decent fat tyres and thick comfy bar grips will take away a lot of the roads imperfections.

3 years ago I had Boardman MX sport and I had locked suspension most of the time...

I had some questions on other forum and it seems now to me that rigid fork won.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

What's the etiquette when buying second hand from somebody? Can I expect to be allowed take it on a 10 min spin down the road? I'd happily leave a license and car keys behind or better again have them come with me if they have another bike? I know it will all depend on the seller but what's the norm?
    When someone is as clueless as me something could look perfect but not work after I've bought it and it could be a costly mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

When I've bought second hand I dont test ride. That's only to tell about bike fit, which should be advertised along with the bike.
    A bike check i would dowould be any dents on the frame? Do the wheels spin freely? Tyres worn, flat? Rim brake service worn? Brake pads worn? Any play in the headset, to do this stand over the bike holding both brakes and move the bike up down, there shouldn't be any play? Does it shift to all the gears? Is the seat post stuck or loose? Is the chain worn, you can get a cheap tool for this, a bike with a worn chain will tell you the owner is may not have bothered keeping on top of maintenance? Are the brakes firm?
    Check feedback on adverts etc.
    If you know someone who knows there bike you might bring them along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

Good evening folks, hoping to take up cycling along with the rest of the country it seems. I am looking for any recommendations people might have based on the following:

What is the intended use of the bike - Bike will be mostly used for exercise/weekend trips to Howth/Malahide etc from D9. However if we get back to work over the coming months I would like the option of using the bike instead of driving. This is a trip of about 7/8km through the city.
    What is your budget - Would prefer to keep under 700 including all accessories, less if possible.
    Are you using the bike to work scheme - Yes
    Are you willing to consider going secondhand - No
    Will you be using the bike in wet weather - Possibly for commuting during Winter months
    How tall you are - 6'3
    Are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike - Mans

I called into 360 cycles in Clontarf this evening however they said they have limited enough stock in my size in city bikes.
    Is a city bike the same as a hybrid?
    Also any other places worth looking around North Dublin?

Thanks

Just an update on the above. I have submitted my quote for the BTW scheme so will probably be waiting about 3 weeks for the voucher.

I have decided to go with this Merida:

https://www.360cycles.ie/merida-speeder-100-2020-black.html

Any opinions on the make/model? Keeping in mind I'm a complete beginner.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Most wrong with that at all. Merida are a well known brand who make frames for even bigger brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Just to add I'm also planning on doing Quest event which involves running and cycling. Would good hybrid be suitable are should be looking getting road bike

ccarr wrote: »
    Just to add I'm also planning on doing Quest event which involves running and cycling. Would good hybrid be suitable are should be looking getting road bike

If you care about time a road bike would be faster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Brandon F wrote: »
    Unfortunately these 2 models are the only ones available in my size in the stores that my company uses for the bike to work scheme. The availability is pushing me into purchasing soon so I have a bike for the summer months.

If it makes your decision any easier I have a Cube Attain with hydraulic disk breaks and think it's an excellent bike. The disk brakes give you enough clearance to put nice wide tyres on it if you wish to take it off road, which is something I've done since I got a Madone as my primary road bike. I've got 32mm tyres on mine now and there looks to be plenty of clearance for even bigger.

The Bianchi is probably more flash for the cash but I think the disk brakes are a huge advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Brandon F

keane2097 wrote: »
    If it makes your decision any easier I have a Cube Attain with hydraulic disk breaks and think it's an excellent bike. The disk brakes give you enough clearance to put nice wide tyres on it if you wish to take it off road, which is something I've done since I got a Madone as my primary road bike. I've got 32mm tyres on mine now and there looks to be plenty of clearance for even bigger.

The Bianchi is probably more flash for the cash but I think the disk brakes are a huge advantage.

I decided to go for the Cube and I'm delighted now with the decision reading this. I was originally going to go for a gravel bike so nice to see the option of being able to go off road If I wish. Counting down the days now until it's in store.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hey guys,

So I went to my local bike shop and am considering a Trek bike

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/28474/

Any thoughts on it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a perfectly fine bike. hydraulic discs too, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

Just an update on the above. I have submitted my quote for the BTW scheme so will probably be waiting about 3 weeks for the voucher.

I have decided to go with this Merida:

https://www.360cycles.ie/merida-speeder-100-2020-black.html

Any opinions on the make/model? Keeping in mind I'm a complete beginner.
    Thanks

Best of luck with the new bike, just a word of my experience.
    I purchased a similar bike last September (Cube SL Road Pro) with flat bars etc.
    for similar reasons as yourself.
    It didn't take me long to realise that it was the wrong option for me and I should have bought a road bike, I wanted to cover more distance & the Cube was not the real deal (flat bars, heavy, wide tyres)
    I picked up a used Carbon road bike on Done Deal before Xmas and am very happy. Covered over 1,300KM during the lockdown (within the required distance from my home), couldn't see my self doing that on the flat bar.
    I have picked up some good gear and clipless pedals & shoes etc.

The flat bar is sitting in the shed with very little use other than some trips to the shops or ride with the kids while using regular runners/shoes. Might convert to drop bars to use as a winter bike (it does have disc brakes which would be ideal).

Have a good think what uses you will make of the bike before committing.

And looks good in the red too. My partner uses a 4 year old model daily and can't fault it. If you plan to use it all year round invest in the mud guards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

ccarr wrote: »

To add to Tony04's comment-

I have a courier bike (flat bars, 9 gears). Borrowed a road bike from a friend and there's no going back, have since ordered a Canyon Endurance AL 7.

Observations on road bike vs hybrid/courier:
    • drops on handlebars are great for any downhill, gets you into a much more aero position
      • default position for hands (sticky up section at end of the bars) makes climbing any incline much easier- can get out of the saddle immediately & change gears if needed. I feel like you can really 'attack' a hill quickly
      • lighter, therefore quicker
      • much wider selection of gears (granted I had only 8)

Brandon F wrote: »
    I decided to go for the Cube and I'm delighted now with the decision reading this. I was originally going to go for a gravel bike so nice to see the option of being able to go off road If I wish. Counting down the days now until it's in store.

I put 30mm tyres on it more or less from the start and it was perfect for day long events like Ring of Kerry. It's a very comfortable bike. Best of luck with it.

What are the actual advantages of a hybrid over a relaxed geometry road bike? I've never really been able to discern much.

I know it's a fairly subjective thing but I've always found the ability to change hand position on a road bike much more conducive to my level of comfort than the fairly limited positions you can adopt on a hybrid.

What are the actual advantages of a hybrid over a relaxed geometry road bike? I've never really been able to discern much.

I know it's a fairly subjective thing but I've always found the ability to change hand position on a road bike much more conducive to my level of comfort than the fairly limited positions you can adopt on a hybrid.

Easier to handle through traffic than a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Stheno wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So I went to my local bike shop and am considering a Trek bike

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/28474/

Any thoughts on it?

I had the 2019 trek ds 2 model. They are a nice bike but the suspension is useless unless you are going off road on it.
    The paintwork I found to be very poor also. The slightest touch against the paint would either chip it or mark it.
    It was very comfortable though and a lovely, fast bike to cycle. I had a rack on mine and it was good for commuting.
    I bought a cheap racer though for €80 and fixed it up while I still had the trek. Couldn't believe how much I liked it so I gave my mate the trek for his son for free. Now I have a carbon bike.

• Advertisement

Tony04 wrote: »
    Easier to handle through traffic than a road bike.

Is that really the case? Wider handlebars seem more likely to be wobbly (and wider) in slow moving tight spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

How much of a difference is there between a Sore and Tiagra groupset for a beginner?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

I have Sora on my bike, and I can maintain 14mph over a 35 mile cycle (that's 22.5kph over 56.3km, for any Velominati about there. Or 51040 cubits per hour over 123200 cubits for any fans of the Old Testament)

Any lack of speed is a result of my fitness and ability, than any downfall of the Sora system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

How much of a difference is there between a Sore and Tiagra groupset for a beginner?

Not much, Sora parts is slightly heavier, and has one less speed at the back. 9 speed vs 10 speed. Generally the less speeds, the more of a jump between each gear.

Tiagra is probably very slightly smoother shifting too.

Personally If there isn’t a big price difference, I’d go with Tiagra

very little, really. tiagra will be made with lighter components, and has an extra gear, but for a beginner, there's not enough in it to really be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Not much, Sora parts is slightly heavier, and has one less speed at the back. 9 speed vs 10 speed. Generally the less speeds, the more of a jump between each gear.

Tiagra is probably very slightly smoother shifting too.

Personally If there isn’t a big price difference, I’d go with Tiagra

For the bikes I've been looking at, there's probably €140-200 difference

For the bikes I've been looking at, there's probably €140-200 difference

What are they there might be other differences? Imo if there was no difference between tiagra and sora tiagra wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

Tony04 wrote: »
    What are they there might be other differences? Imo if there was no difference between tiagra and sora tiagra wouldn't exist.

True. There's a difference between a steel handlebar and a carbon one. The question is, are we (any given cyclist) in a position to make use of or take advantage of the difference.

Is that really the case? Wider handlebars seem more likely to be wobbly (and wider) in slow moving tight spots.

If flat bars weren't easier to manoeuvre they wouldn't be on mountain bikes. Same thing if your weaving through traffic. That being said a road noke is better for commuting of you want to get from a to b. But if your transporting bags and weaving through traffic I'd prefer a hybrid or a cheap mtb

• Advertisement

the wider the bar, the more stable the steering will be, especially to any knocks which might otherwise turn the wheel on you; you can get away with narrower bars on a road bike because there's less likely to be a tree root which will try to kick the wheel sideways.

Advertisement