Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out - bicycle recommendations megathread (see summary in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

It's up to you but my advice would be to get either a road bike with sora groupset for weekend spins, or if you live down in Limerick, ballyhoura is a nice trail centre so maybe a hardtail mountain bike might be worth considering. Any bike can be used for commuting. Thing with hybrids is they only really useable for commuting and utility so if I had only 1 bike I acctually wouldnt bother with them. If you're going to halfords steer clear of Carreras, but boardmans are usally nice for the price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think phil gaimon's 'phillumanti' rules on cycling are a good place to start before delving into the more arcane 'rules' of cycling:

https://philthethrill.net/the-new-rules-of-cycling-aka-philuminati/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

i think phil gaimon's 'phillumanti' rules on cycling are a good place to start before delving into the more arcane 'rules' of cycling:

https://philthethrill.net/the-new-rules-of-cycling-aka-philuminati/

Yes, now there's a set of rules I can see myself following

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

I've been here asking about bikes and eventually got one. A 2015 Trek 1.5.
    Now I'm looking for a few accessories.
    A saddle bag, pump for on the bike, spare tube, water bottle, trip computer, pants/bib, and top. I'd prefer a MTB top over a road cycling top as my gut isn't as noticeable.
    My LBS didn't have a lot in stock today when I stopped in and got a track pump and he's pretty expensive so I'd rather go online.
    I was looking at a cat eye velo wireless for no reason other than the price. I don't need anything fancy.
    Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
    Didn't want to start a new thread on this as it might be handy for others starting out too.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you have a smartphone, download strava or something similar and it'll give you a lot of the functionality a cycle computer will.
    hickeys/sports direct do cheap cycling gear; i've not tried their shorts but the tops are cheap and cheerful, i have used them on my commutes.

it's worth getting a track pump whenever lidl/aldi stock them again, they're only seven or eight quid and i cannot fathom how they make them so cheap. you'd be hard pressed to get a mini pump for that.

for the saddlebag (or if you have two bottle cages on the bike, you can buy a 'bottle' for spares), you want a spare tube, tyre levers, a multitool, and probably a chain quick link.

• Advertisement

Did that Trek come with the original breaks can you tell? They'd be the first thing I'd spend money on. I used to have a 2015 1.5 and the stock breaks were sh1te but it was a great bike otherwise very comfortable and lent itself to a very nice position for me on the the bike, more upright and less racy.

+1 on what MB suggested I normally use a bottle for spares and tools with a a cage that lets you attach a mini pump to it you can get one on wiggle or crc, although this time of year I'm back to using a bag as I need the extra water on hot days, or will do once the restrictions are lifted.

This is a basic accessory kit that has everything you need for 32€ it isnt bad although youlk need to spend a little more to get free shipping.

https://www.merlincycles.com/topeak-deluxe-cycling-accessory-kit-179360.html

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

for the saddlebag (or if you have two bottle cages on the bike, you can buy a 'bottle' for spares), you want a spare tube, tyre levers, a multitool, and probably a chain quick link.

Thanks for the tip. I'll ask canyon to add another bottle cage in my order now.
    Edit: i doubt you can fit a pump in a bottle though?

bbari wrote: »

See my post!!!! I'll see if I can find a link to the cage I have.

You can even just velcro one to the side of a standard cage as well.

no - the pump will attach to the same mounts as the bottle cage, but would sit to the side of the seat tube typically.

• Advertisement

Yeh most mini pumps come with a kind of attachment that bolts like a shim under the bottle cage.

i think the pump holder i have isn't slim enough to fit under the bottle cage but i ll give it a go when i get my bike.

i think the pump holder i have isn't slim enough to fit under the bottle cage but i ll give it a go when i get my bike.

Does it have it's own bolts? They might be longer than the ones that come in the bike frame to account for that.

Does it have it's own bolts? They might be longer than the ones that come in the bike frame to account for that.
    They were same size as the bike ones. I can always get longer bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

I'm looking to start cycling for fitness. Theres a cycle track beside me that I plan on using. I'll be using the bike to work & looking to spend in or around 700 on the bike. I haven't cycled a road bike since I was a kid & didn't like it then but I'm assuming it just takes a bit of getting used to?

Was wondering if there is any diffference between
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Trek-Domane-AL-2-WSD-2020-p/trekdomaneal2wsd.htm
    https://www.mycycle.ie/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=376100&CartID=2
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Giant-Contend-2-2020-p/giantcontend2.htm

I'm also looking at these for the flat handle bars. not sure if these might be a better option as its what I'm used to.
    https://www.cyclebike.ie/cube-sl-road-red-grey-2020.html?id=199673040&quantity=1
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Giant-Fastroad-SL-3-2019-p/giantfastsl3.htm

these are all around the same price so I was wondering if there is any of them that would be better or if its a case of trying & whatever feels better on the day?
    If there are any other bikes I should look at other than these? I could push the budget up a bit if it would be worth it but as I'm only starting not sure I should go too high. maybe max 850 list price.

i suspect there's not much to choose between those bikes - your choice may be decided by availability, as many bike shops have run out of stock, though i've seen a few have managed to restock.
    an extra 100 or 150 quid would get you a better bike, but the difference would be marginal; you might be better off spending the money on accessories.

raxy wrote: »
    I'm looking to start cycling for fitness. Theres a cycle track beside me that I plan on using. I'll be using the bike to work & looking to spend in or around 700 on the bike. I haven't cycled a road bike since I was a kid & didn't like it then but I'm assuming it just takes a bit of getting used to?

Was wondering if there is any diffference between
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Trek-Domane-AL-2-WSD-2020-p/trekdomaneal2wsd.htm
    https://www.mycycle.ie/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=376100&CartID=2
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Giant-Contend-2-2020-p/giantcontend2.htm

I'm also looking at these for the flat handle bars. not sure if these might be a better option as its what I'm used to.
    https://www.cyclebike.ie/cube-sl-road-red-grey-2020.html?id=199673040&quantity=1
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Giant-Fastroad-SL-3-2019-p/giantfastsl3.htm

these are all around the same price so I was wondering if there is any of them that would be better or if its a case of trying & whatever feels better on the day?
    If there are any other bikes I should look at other than these? I could push the budget up a bit if it would be worth it but as I'm only starting not sure I should go too high. maybe max 850 list price.

Yeh as mb said all very similar.

It depends what kind of riding you want to try do you want to race, explore your local area, do some sportifs or just commute? And also how much you might spend in the future.

Anything with better components is probably going to have some compromise, but will give you the best performance.

Conversely you get a bike with a nice frameset for upgrading with slightly worse parts, which might be nice for upgrading as you get into cycling.

If you found something with a tiagra groupset for 850 that would be nice.

But as mb said that 150 would probably be better spent on accessories.

I came across this site who has some sizes in stock and deliver to Ireland - AllTricks

Triban with 105 for €850

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ Mechanical hybrid discs, not sure if theyre as poor as pure mechanical discs but if they are I'd go for decent rims instead. Dics are only worth it if hydraulic IMO.

When I click on the link, only size M is available. Plus, triban is a decathlon brand, and decathlon have more sizes in stock at the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

Tony04 wrote: »
    Yeh as mb said all very similar.

It depends what kind of riding you want to try do you want to race, explore your local area, do some sportifs or just commute? And also how much you might spend in the future.

All I'm planning on is cycling to improve fitness but you never know how these kinds of things will turn out. For now all I'll be doing is cycling on a cycle track in the park but if that gets boring I guess I would look cycling to other places. THe wife isn't into it so can't see too much exploring, kids are too small too.
    I'm looking to get something reasonably decent that would give a bit of scope without going overboard, if I do get into it than I'd be happy to sell on to upgrade.
    I'll try get into a few shops to see whats there. If there's no choice I'd rather wait rathar than buy what I can get just because its there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

Hi, I am a complete newbie I wouldn't have a clue about bikes to be honest. Looking to get into it for fitness as I am getting a bit sick of going for a run all the time so I wouldn't mind mixing it up a bit and I have the bike to work available to me. I called into a bike shop the other day and they had a Trek Domane AL 3 2020 56cm @ €869 and said it was the only bike they had that would suit me and for under a €1000. Would this be a good entry level bike? Would I gain much from going slightly over the €1000 mark? or if I got more into it could I just upgrade parts of on the Trek Domane? with the shortage of bikes at the min I'm worried if I don't snap up that one I wont be able to get anything decent if at all and the bike to work scheme is only open to me for the month of June. Thanks

what is the intended use of the bike - Fitness and I will be using it mainly on the Athlone green-way.
    - what is your budget - €1000 maybe 1200/1300 if its worth it.
    - are you using the bike to work scheme - Yes
    - are you willing to consider going secondhand - Possibly but will probably go with the btw.
    - will you be using the bike in wet weather - I would be looking to use it all year round.
    - how tall you are - About 5 foot 10
    - are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike - Man's

raxy wrote: »
    All I'm planning on is cycling to improve fitness but you never know how these kinds of things will turn out. For now all I'll be doing is cycling on a cycle track in the park but if that gets boring I guess I would look cycling to other places. THe wife isn't into it so can't see too much exploring, kids are too small too.
    I'm looking to get something reasonably decent that would give a bit of scope without going overboard, if I do get into it than I'd be happy to sell on to upgrade.
    I'll try get into a few shops to see whats there. If there's no choice I'd rather wait rathar than buy what I can get just because its there.

You can use any bike for fitness in fact the worse the bike the better for fitness as you push yourself harder. Just if your using the bike to work scheme you want to use it on something you'll keep as it only renews once every 5 years, unless your happy to pay more for something in the future if you get into it.

Stichy wrote: »
    Hi, I am a complete newbie I wouldn't have a clue about bikes to be honest. Looking to get into it for fitness as I am getting a bit sick of going for a run all the time so I wouldn't mind mixing it up a bit and I have the bike to work available to me. I called into a bike shop the other day and they had a Trek Domane AL 3 2020 56cm @ €869 and said it was the only bike they had that would suit me and for under a €1000. Would this be a good entry level bike? Would I gain much from going slightly over the €1000 mark? or if I got more into it could I just upgrade parts of on the Trek Domane? with the shortage of bikes at the min I'm worried if I don't snap up that one I wont be able to get anything decent if at all and the bike to work scheme is only open to me for the month of June. Thanks

what is the intended use of the bike - Fitness and I will be using it mainly on the Athlone green-way.
    - what is your budget - €1000 maybe 1200/1300 if its worth it.
    - are you using the bike to work scheme - Yes
    - are you willing to consider going secondhand - Possibly but will probably go with the btw.
    - will you be using the bike in wet weather - I would be looking to use it all year round.
    - how tall you are - About 5 foot 10
    - are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike - Man's

Trek domane isnt really the best value for money. If your using the green way you might consider getting a gravel bike rather than a road bike. If your buying a road bike though I'd stretch to 1300 to get something with a 105 groupset(has 11 speeds). Does your company go through a middle man for the btw? If they go directly you might be able to find something decent online.

You can use any bike for fitness in fact the worse the bike the better for fitness as you push yourself harder.
    i think this only goes so far. you want a bike that's enjoyable to ride, that doesn't feel like a lump of coal. the best bike is the one you find enjoyable to ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Trek domane isnt really the best value for money. If your using the green way you might consider getting a gravel bike rather than a road bike. If your buying a road bike though I'd stretch to 1300 to get something with a 105 groupset(has 11 speeds). Does your company go through a middle man for the btw? If they go directly you might be able to find something decent online.

I don't know about that, the Domane would be fine on the Athlone greenway, has plenty of clearance for larger tyres (though maybe not as much as a gravel bike) mounts for mudguards and a perfectly competent Sora groupset, seems to me to suit what the poster wants.......

nilhg wrote: »
    I don't know about that, the Domane would be fine on the Athlone greenway, has plenty of clearance for larger tyres (though maybe not as much as a gravel bike) mounts for mudguards and a perfectly competent Sora groupset, seems to me to suit what the poster wants.......

I mean it's a perfectly fine bike but like 850 for a bike with sora and rim brakes is a bit overpriced. At that price you could get something with mechanical discs or tiagra. Boardman have a gravel bike for 900 with sora and discs, which is probably well worth the 50€ extra.

i think this only goes so far. you want a bike that's enjoyable to ride, that doesn't feel like a lump of coal. the best bike is the one you find enjoyable to ride.

Imo youd expect that in any bike over 400€ or so. And aren't we after a certain price you only paying more to go that bit faster? Unless your building a super durable steel audax bike with dynamos are something of the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

I thought a road bike would be a better for the greenway? as far as I know it has a good surface and I cant ever see myself going anywhere off road really so why would a gravel one be a better option?. My company go direct I think well their link brings me straight to the cycle scheme website anyway. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Domane is a grand bike. There's always something better just around the corner or with a few €€ more. At this end of the market rim brakes far better than disc brakes (who wants discs anyway). That Trek frame is well proven and is a nice ride.

You won't stay with your starter bike long in any case, so far better to be shot of something affordable than being stuck with something more expensive you can't shift when you do upgrade. Big market for second hand bikes in the 300-600 range vs those in the 700-1100 range, so be smart about this decision.

Advertisement