Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe.ie goes Bang!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

And nothing of value was lost...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

da_miser wrote: »
    And nothing of value was lost...

Peoples jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Peoples jobs?

They are "journalists" they can learn to code, thats what the journalist told the rest of us to do when we lost our jobs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Heard they were crap to work for except the few there at the very start..yound media folk wanted to be involved but not as good as expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

"In court documents, BPC said that, under a 2018 loan agreement, it has advanced some €6.02 million to Maximum Media with monthly interests repayments of some €68,000. The current loan balance is €6.1 million, it said."

How, what, why.... That is incredible debt for a clickbait site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I dunno, I feel sorry for people who have lost work, but they didn't create anything of worth themselves and piggybacked off other people's content to get those clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

For the most part, Joe.ie has been a bit clickbaity but it’s also brought some great talent to the forefront. An example is Carl Kinsella, a great writer with a large following on Twitter.

I’m not sure how Joe has retained its credibility with advertisers after the click-farming scandal. Massive job losses and debt were always inevitable, imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why does a site like joe.ie need €6m? That’s ridiculous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Absolute crap the lot of it. It was all either click bait or virtue signalling

I only ever really saw adds for it, but I won't miss them..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

godtabh wrote: »
    Why does a site like joe.ie need €6m? That’s ridiculous

Reading that article it alludes evidence of financial mismanagement and unpaid taxes.

6 million is a lot, reads similar to events at the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Get Woke, Go Broke

Joe.ie, the thinking man's diversion. Especially after a lobotomy. In this week's quiz, what colour is blue? And did you hear the McDonald's drive thru is reopening, queue up today and you will receive service tomorrow.

It hardly registered. No loss then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

10 Reasons why Buzzfeed if failing, you wont believe number 6

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will miss the GAA hour with Wolly Parkinson. Hopefully starts something separately.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Peoples jobs?

A child can copy and paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,573 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Would occasionally check the desktop website as they usually do a daily 'what movies are on tonight' feature, which was mildly useful.
    Although even that became more and more troublesome lately as it would take ages for the page to load because of all the ads the page contained.

Also very cringy was the weekly Late Late show 'stories' (that were clearly sponsored by RTÉ);
    Started off with a piece on a Friday saying who was on the Late Late that night, then shortly afterwards they also started saying who was on Graham Norton (I guess to not make the RTÉ ad look so obvious), but for the Late Late preview it was a paragraph for each of the RTÉ staff that was on that night, and for the Graham Norton preview, it was simply named what Hollywood superstars were on that night's show.

Then you could be guaranteed that from Saturday to Monday, there were usually 2-3 stories a day about the 'mad gas craic' that was had on the previous nights Late Late show, with customary clips of said 'banter'. Isn't Ryan Tubridy brilliant........

Joe.ie, will not be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The quizzes were the only half decent part of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

GT89 wrote: »
    Absolute crap the lot of it. It was all either click bait or virtue signalling

Much like the TheJournal.ie. so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This is what they deserve. Started as a site for sports and banter for lads, ended up becoming lefty clickbait and stoking falsehoods to further their advertisers agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

JOE.IE was NOT woke! Please.

And your politics don't sink you ...lack of talent will lack of original content will..lack of creativity will.

JOE was basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

And your politics don't sink you ...lack of talent will lack of original content will..lack of creativity will.

JOE was basic.

That is what makes them woke, the culture itself is devoid of any creativity....

Look at the state of the BBC or Channel 4....

Woke Culture or politics or whatever you want to call it is commercial suicide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

For the most part, Joe.ie has been a bit clickbaity but it’s also brought some great talent to the forefront. An example is Carl Kinsella, a great writer with a large following on Twitter.

I’m not sure how Joe has retained its credibility with advertisers after the click-farming scandal. Massive job losses and debt were always inevitable, imo.

What was the click farming scandal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

JOE was basic.

You're right, they were so not woke. I thought they were stunning and brave.

Will miss the GAA hour with Wolly Parkinson. Hopefully starts something separately.

Yeah that was my first thought too.

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    You're right, they were so not woke. I thought they were stunning and brave.
    I thought they were annoying and clickbaity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

"In court documents, BPC said that, under a 2018 loan agreement, it has advanced some €6.02 million to Maximum Media with monthly interests repayments of some €68,000. The current loan balance is €6.1 million, it said."

How, what, why.... That is incredible debt for a clickbait site.

fools and their money....

But once they were caught blatantly cheating using a click farm, the writing was on the wall.

I don't know why i hated joe.ie
    But i am experiencing schadenfraude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

what is kinsella other than an uber WOKE PC merchant ?

Advertisement