Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe.ie goes Bang!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Euro 2016 is what gave me contempt for them. Everything was “Irish fans serenade baby” and “Clean up for the Boys in Green”. At least in Euro 2012 it was somewhat organic with the craic but it legitimately felt there were people going to France hoping and praying joe.ie would feature them. And joe obliged. Clean up for the boys in green, the same folks who’d leave a camping festival in this country like a tip head.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

da_miser wrote: »
    Why the secrecy , tell us who they are?

Second Captains
    Casefile
    They walk among us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

A terrible, terrible website which will not be missed by me, and I'm sure many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Omackeral wrote: »
    Euro 2016 is what gave me contempt for them. Everything was “Irish fans serenade baby” and “Clean up for the Boys in Green”. At least in Euro 2012 it was somewhat organic with the craic but it legitimately felt there were people going to France hoping and praying joe.ie would feature them. And joe obliged. Clean up for the boys in green, the same folks who’d leave a camping festival in this country like a tip head.

Remember Irish supporters seen fixing cars at the euros . Bizarre behaviour. Joe was there to witness it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,575 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Remember Irish supporters seen fixing cars at the euros . Bizarre behaviour. Joe was there to witness it

They weren’t even there, they just hoovered it all up from the social media accounts of those that wanted their 15 minutes on Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

geordi wrote: »
    The reviews on Glassdoor are a good read - total car crash of a business https://www.glassdoor.ie/Reviews/Maximum-Media-Reviews-E1276804.htm

That is pretty grim reading. Going by the employee reviews it seems it was mostly down to the owner being a complete arsehole and him being way out of his depth. Looking at the picture of him in the OP's link that doesn't come as a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

godtabh wrote: »
    Why does a site like joe.ie need €6m? That’s ridiculous
    They have 50 people on the payroll, they are renting an expensive office in Dublin, they will have all the other standard costs of running a business, not to mention the substantial amount they invested in trying to break into the UK. Revenue would have come nowhere near to covering the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

useless site - wont be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They have 50 people on the payroll, they are renting an expensive office in Dublin, they will have all the other standard costs of running a business, not to mention the substantial amount they invested in trying to break into the UK. Revenue would have come nowhere near to covering the costs.

Online news doesnt make money, the ad model is terrible, most of these sites went woke because advertisers are banking on twentysomething women to click ads but it turns out even that demographic is less likely to click than predicted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Ellie Fancy Triathlon

less competition for Balls.ie another clickbaity site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

Can't say I'm too surprised.

This is the effect of their clickbait tactics coming back to bite them.

If you lure people in with headlines that over-promise and then don't deliver content that backs up the flashy headline eventually users are going to be less inclined to click on your content.

Eventually their mass market target demographic wised up somewhat and stopped clicking.

Can't say I will miss them.. although I did enjoy the sports quizzes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The staff apparently received a hat tip for their redundancy package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Get Woke, Go Broke

Lol!!

Strangely enough, it looks like the website has had a facelift this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its interesting that both lefties and people on the right seem to hate the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Online news doesnt make money, the ad model is terrible, most of these sites went woke because advertisers are banking on twentysomething women to click ads but it turns out even that demographic is less likely to click than predicted

Joe.ie was explicitly aimed at men...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Carl Kinsella was a really unpleasant bias writer there. Very extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

KiKi III wrote: »
    Joe.ie was explicitly aimed at men...

I thought so too, but it went full on PC regressive so in reality they may expect a lot of female traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I thought so too, but it went full on PC regressive so in reality they may expect a lot of female traffic.
    It annoyed both genders equally.

It annoyed both genders equally.

It really was an equal opportunities cess pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Any outlet that hires Ellen Coyne as head of politics deserves to go to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Now if only the company that operates thejournal.ie went wallop....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

How can a site like that go bust now? They are in a prime market, people bored scrolling the net!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Carl Kinsella is a simp.

OSI wrote: »
    Same company owns DoneDeal, Daft, Adverts and Boards.ie.

D3-Hc-EU0AU2UYo?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Saying it was woke or marxist or whatever is giving it too much credit; joe.ie is just clickbait drivel. Talk of people getting sick of it are a bit premature too. The audience who liked joe.ie 5 years ago will have seen nothing changed in order for them to stop them liking it now. I mentioned before:
    ....their content must work because I know a bunch of lads I went to school with who for several years without fail have tagged each other in every single joe.ie hurling post. It doesn't seem to be in an ironic/sarcastic/referential/whatever sense either. They just seem to never tire of the same joke several times a week.

I'd say the click farm and poor investments are what did them in. I've seen no evidence that the average consumer has become more discerning and stopped giving them their clicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Harbo's the real king of Irish clickbait, banishing pretenders like McGarry with effortless ease.

I wonder if McGarry ever ended up in the Haters folder on Harbo's macbook.

https://www.dailyedge.ie/niall-harbison-get-****-done-1561391-Jul2014/

ELM327 wrote: »
    How can a site like that go bust now? They are in a prime market, people bored scrolling the net!

Most of these outlets are rapidly finding out that the internet ad revenue just isn't there. you need a hell of a lot of ad clicks and sponsorships to have any kind of revenue stream out of it, Joe.ie had to use click farms to inflate numbers to try get more ad revenue but the truth of it is people just aren't clicking ads.

for online ad sales , men 18-35 its single digit percentages converting from ads to sales / signups , 35-50 its just over 10% and beyond 50 its very hit and miss depending on the product. Women are twice as likely to convert in ad numbers than men and 4x as likely to share a post to their friends. If you want to make money in online media you need to keep posting content that women aged 20-50 will comment on and share and you need to have ads that target that group to convert them to sales / signups. Joe.ie just couldn't make that momentum happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Birneybau wrote: »

A chancer who took his chance and done well from it though.

As already said, the clickfarm scandal ultimately killed them and the confidence in digital ad spend was creaking anyway.
    Sounds like an awful place to work for so many 'content creators'.

Advertisement