Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe.ie goes Bang!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

Hmm seems a few of you need to learn the difference between examinership and liquidation/winding up tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    Hmm seems a few of you need to learn the difference between examinership and liquidation/winding up tbh

If you examine the numbers posted earlier in the thread and combine them with their business model and current economic climate, you don't need to be a genius to work out that 'closing the lights' is pretty much inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

For the most part, Joe.ie has been a bit clickbaity but it’s also brought some great talent to the forefront. An example is Carl Kinsella, a great writer with a large following on Twitter.

I’m not sure how Joe has retained its credibility with advertisers after the click-farming scandal. Massive job losses and debt were always inevitable, imo.

Maybe they sometimes hit upon good writers but I went to school with somebody who wrote for them for a while. Absolute shit for brains. He did pass English at Junior Cert. Ordinarily that wouldn’t be that big a deal but for somebody who was hired as a writer in his adult life? This is the standard we’re talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Watching sports people and celebrities Instagram and Twitter feeds and reporting it as news could only last so long.

"Conor McGregor won a fight last night and Twitter lost its mind, here's some of the best tweets of the night. @mrmagoo "what a fight, well done champ" "@gdogz8 "well done champ, insane fight"

Between that and Her.ie reporting The Khardasians tweets as news. I don't understand how anyone can put their names to this stuff. The radio stations are at it as well with their celebrity news.

I actually enjoy Baz and Andrews house if rugby podcast so hopefully that gets picked up somewhere else.

Kh1993 wrote: »
    They looked like they sank crazy amount of money on the UK operation, never really took off. They got in loads of popular sporty Uk twitter accounts involved that then just seemed to disappear.

No loss other than peoples jobs. They did some okish current affairs recently but they never really got past the clickbait crap they started off with. The owner is a buffoon and the reaction to the click farm shenanigans was mad. And woke? Ha! Middle ground compared to another click farm classic like the ‘Liberal’

Lots of their Irish and GAA coverage amounted to “Ah Mayo, haha, LOL that’s so funny. Up Mayo”.

Yeah, I’m surprised to see a few posts here saying that joe.ie used to be better. It was ALWAYS a clickbaity, content aggregator.

Now we’ll have to go elsewhere to see photos of the crowds outside The Barge on the next sunny day (post lockdown).
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Euro 2016 is what gave me contempt for them. Everything was “Irish fans serenade baby” and “Clean up for the Boys in Green”. At least in Euro 2012 it was somewhat organic with the craic but it legitimately felt there were people going to France hoping and praying joe.ie would feature them. And joe obliged. Clean up for the boys in green, the same folks who’d leave a camping festival in this country like a tip head.

Yes. THANK YOU. All of this. Who will feature people’s “gas” flags next time round?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

keano_afc wrote: »
    Any outlet that hires Ellen Coyne as head of politics deserves to go to the wall.

She's a very good journalist - did some excellent stories with the Irish version of The Times. Won awards for her journalism too. She wasn't at Joe very long - it seemed an odd career move for a proper journalist. I think she writes for the Independent now.
    I hate the site. It's a left wing Marxist pile of rubbish.

Love how right-wingers throw the word 'Marxist' around without having the slightest clue what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Jofspring wrote: »
    Watching sports people and celebrities Instagram and Twitter feeds and reporting it as news could only last so long.

"Conor McGregor won a fight last night and Twitter lost its mind, here's some of the best tweets of the night. @mrmagoo "what a fight, well done champ" "@gdogz8 "well done champ, insane fight"

Between that and Her.ie reporting The Khardasians tweets as news. I don't understand how anyone can put their names to this stuff. The radio stations are at it as well with their celebrity news.

I actually enjoy Baz and Andrews house if rugby podcast so hopefully that gets picked up somewhere else.

Exactly. Imagine looking to start out on a career in journalism and this is the type of **** you're bring made to do.

Always found it weird that Dion Fanning moved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

She's a very good journalist - did some excellent stories with the Irish version of The Times. Won awards for her journalism too. She wasn't at Joe very long - it seemed an odd career move for a proper journalist. I think she writes for the Independent now.

Love how right-wingers throw the word 'Marxist' around without having the slightest clue what it means.

I had a scan of the news pages and it looked like, from initial impressions, that Sinn Fein had either positive or neutral coverage on Joe.ie, other parties tended to be mostly negative or neutral. Sinn Fein were always a Marxist party, so first impressions are they are sympathetic to Marxism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    I had a scan of the news pages and it looked like, from initial impressions, that Sinn Fein had either positive or neutral coverage on Joe.ie, other parties tended to be mostly negative or neutral. Sinn Fein were always a Marxist party, so first impressions are they are sympathetic to Marxism.

Massive leaps there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Exactly. Imagine looking to start out on a career in journalism and this is the type of **** you're bring made to do.

Always found it weird that Dion Fanning moved there.

Those online outlets tend to head hunt one or two decent journalists to provide a fig leaf of journalistic credibility to the rest of the operation.
    Usually they pitch it to a young but promising journalist as a long term plan to be a quality outfit, plamasing the journo that they need them for this.
    The journalist joins, realises over a few months that the main business is clickbait, and usually moves to one of the established papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Never clciked into the site as far as I know. Only read the Journal.ie just for the comments.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Never clciked into the site as far as I know. Only read the Journal.ie just for the comments.

Give this man an AMA

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Omackeral wrote: »
    Euro 2016 is what gave me contempt for them. Everything was “Irish fans serenade baby” and “Clean up for the Boys in Green”. At least in Euro 2012 it was somewhat organic with the craic but it legitimately felt there were people going to France hoping and praying joe.ie would feature them. And joe obliged. Clean up for the boys in green, the same folks who’d leave a camping festival in this country like a tip head.

That tournament was the most embarrassed ive been as an Irish Supporter, the collective hive mind of absolute tossers begging to be seen as the craziest and wackiest across Europe

And don't me started on the flags, jesus holy christ what a way to deface the tricolor with stupid moronic pictures and phrases of stuff which made no sense

Joe was lapping it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

When somebody says left wing marxist drivel to describe a publication , I know exactly what they mean even if the terminology isn't accurate to the true origins.
    It's almost like language can and does evolve. But you knew that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Maybe they sometimes hit upon good writers but I went to school with somebody who wrote for them for a while. Absolute shit for brains. He did pass English at Junior Cert. Ordinarily that wouldn’t be that big a deal but for somebody who was hired as a writer in his adult life? This is the standard we’re talking about here.

Paul Kimmage only got a D in english in his leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 droimlis

For the most part, Joe.ie has been a bit clickbaity but it’s also brought some great talent to the forefront. An example is Carl Kinsella, a great writer with a large following on Twitter.

you must be joking

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

MoonUnit75 wrote: »

Or..... they saw that SF were popular among their target demographic and played along with that.

Clicks over politics

That tournament was the most embarrassed ive been as an Irish Supporter, the collective hive mind of absolute tossers begging to be seen as the craziest and wackiest across Europe

And don't me started on the flags, jesus holy christ what a way to deface the tricolor with stupid moronic pictures and phrases of stuff which made no sense

Joe was lapping it up!

There was the few genuinely charming and funny ones at the 2012 Euros that caught the zeitgeist and were clearly made on the fly over there. I could envisage a gang of hungover lads joking about slogans in their hotel room and running with it. Those flags probably came about organically.

2016 rolls around and people remember those flags that when viral and they decide to set out and prove they are comedians and in doing so, highlight that they are nothing of the sort. Way too tryhard.

But of course joe.ie lapped it up. They have whole articles about the four or five British people who tweet about hurling every time it’s on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

paw patrol wrote: »
    When somebody says left wing marxist drivel to describe a publication , I know exactly what they mean even if the terminology isn't accurate to the true origins.

I know exactly what they mean too. They mean "I lack the intellectual curiosity to read a book, or even a Wikipedia page, but I think I'll sound smart if I misuse words that I've heard other right-wing bores misusing before".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I know exactly what they mean too. They mean "I lack the intellectual curiosity to read a book, or even a Wikipedia page, but I think I'll sound smart if I misuse words that I've heard other right-wing bores misusing before".

The way you write makes it sound like marxist thought it is rare or highly specific. You don't have to be a member of a communist party to hold these views. I would argue it is quite common place. Joe.ie certainly had writers that were extremely PC and indeed postmodern but it had a good streak of the old left too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i appreciate your reply , even if i disagree.

tbh it was short sighted off me to drag this thread on a tangent
    because it's a source of delight to see the PC , bandwagon hopping ****b1rd of a publication crash and burn. I should be content with that.

I'd nearly even forgive them being a neo Marxist clickbait site, and the McGregor promotion even, but the head on yer man the owner..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The way you write makes it sound like marxist thought it is rare or highly specific. You don't have to be a member of a communist party to hold these views. I would argue it is quite common place. Joe.ie certainly had writers that were extremely PC and indeed postmodern but it had a good streak of the old left too.

None of which are indicators of Marxism??

Marxism = Political theory where society is organised such that the workers own the means of Production.

What on earth does that have to do with being Post Modern and PC??

It's a lazy Americanism , caused by Americans actually not actually understanding Politics & Political theory in any way so you're either a "God fearing Conservative" or a "Marxist Commie Libtard"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They have whole articles about the four or five British people who tweet about hurling every time it’s on Sky.

The ones that annoyed me were the ‘The whole country watched & went mad over (insert random RTÉ/Late Late show reference) last night’ articles, which usually had about 4-5 tweets from people that ‘went mad’ for said show...... 1 of the tweets was always McGarry

The whole country. Indeed.

The ones that annoyed me were the ‘The whole country watched & went mad over (insert random RTÉ/Late Late show reference) last night’ articles, which usually had about 4-5 tweets from people that ‘went mad’ for said show...... 1 of the tweets was always McGarry

The whole country. Indeed.

And if you look at the tweets, they’re ones that hardly anyone reacted to usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

There was the few genuinely charming and funny ones at the 2012 Euros that caught the zeitgeist and were clearly made on the fly over there. I could envisage a gang of hungover lads joking about slogans in their hotel room and running with it. Those flags probably came about organically.

2016 rolls around and people remember those flags that when viral and they decide to set out and prove they are comedians and in doing so, highlight that they are nothing of the sort. Way too tryhard.

But of course joe.ie lapped it up. They have whole articles about the four or five British people who tweet about hurling every time it’s on Sky.

Ken early on second captains would talk about this; by the time Euro 2016 had rolled around the crowd has become self aware ruining intrinsic spontaneity of this stuff.

Jim Root wrote: »
    Ken early on second captains would talk about this; by the time Euro 2016 had rolled around the crowd has become self aware ruining intrinsic spontaneity of this stuff.

Bingo.

Can you link the episode? I’d love a listen. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Portmanteau

An awful publication I agree but why are people pretending it went bust because of being "woke" (and other words made up by Americans which get latched onto here without question) and not because of a certain virus causing severe damage to the economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wokeness and covid have fcuk all to do.

It was a clickbait site caught using a click farm. Thats instant death in advertising based industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The clean up for the boys in green was awesome at first but then when ppl started doing for attention everyone was turned off by it

Advertisement