Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illness benefit to invalidity

• 16-05-2020 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm on illness benefit at moment if I apply for invalidity pension do I have to inform work tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

redcatstar wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm on illness benefit at moment if I apply for invalidity pension do I have to inform work tia

I have applied for it but there was no mention of me having to inform my work. They have to get back to me next week so i will ask them and see what they say. Never though about that before tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Invalidity Pension is awarded where there is an expectation that you will not return to work for a minimum further 12 months.

There is no requirement to inform your employer as part of the application process, or compulsion to do so on the part of the department.

However, should it be awarded you won't be in work for at least the next 12 months.
    That is information that would allow your employer to make appropriate decisions regarding workforce planning, and can be shared without any disclosure of a diagnosis.

banie01 wrote: »
    Invalidity Pension is awarded where there is an expectation that you will not return to work for a minimum further 12 months.

There is no requirement to inform your employer as part of the application process, or compulsion to do so on the part of the department.

However, should it be awarded you won't be in work for at least the next 12 months.
    That is information that would allow your employer to make appropriate decisions regarding workforce planning, and can be shared without any disclosure of a diagnosis.

That's what i am worried about. So they could basically lay me off because i will not be available for the next 12 months ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    That's what i am worried about. So they could basically lay me off because i will not be available for the next 12 months ?

They can lay you off at any point tbh.
    There is a belief that continuing illness is a protected form of leave, it isn't.

An employer may well decide that continuing your employment is not in their interest.

banie01 wrote: »
    They can lay you off at any point tbh.
    There is a belief that continuing illness is a protected form of leave, it isn't.

An employer may well decide that continuing your employment is not in their interest.

I understand that. Before when i was out sick the GM was calling me and telling me to push myself to go back despite different advice from my GP. I went back because i feared losing my job. Well after one month i was worse off and led to much more complicated things.

It's been a while now since i have heard back from them or company Doc. I have documented all correspondence through email.

Not sure what lies ahead now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If you are on illness benefit and working as well then that means you were taken off illness benefit and put on Partial Capacity Benefit.
    Because that’s the only way you can work if your not on disability allowance.
    It’s nothing to do with your employer what payment your on. I think you need to ring citizens information to get a clearer picture of your work/sw entitlements and obligations because your a bit mixed up about things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

Hi thanks will u let me know wat they say plds

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you are on illness benefit and working as well then that means you were taken off illness benefit and put on Partial Capacity Benefit.
    Because that’s the only way you can work if your not on disability allowance.
    It’s nothing to do with your employer what payment your on. I think you need to ring citizens information to get a clearer picture of your work/sw entitlements and obligations because your a bit mixed up about things.

I was on IB and not working. My illness benefit expired but i had applied for invalidity pension as advised by citizens advice.. I haven't worked at all since i started IB. I'm not confused. I was merely questioning what the OP had said about letting their employer know.

I understood what you meant ,I'm very grateful you replied and the others as I guess work does not have to know . I will apply nxt week ,I've been on IB for 6 months, just want to get it over and done with. Pls if you don't mind will you let me know how you get on. I hope it's not a long hard drawn out process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I was on IB and not working. My illness benefit expired but i had applied for invalidity pension as advised by citizens advice.. I haven't worked at all since i started IB. I'm not confused. I was merely questioning what the OP had said about letting their employer know.

Ok I see now you are still employed by your employer but not actually working.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    Ok I see now you are still employed by your employer but not actually working.

Yes correct :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

I understood what you meant ,I'm very grateful you replied and the others as I guess work does not have to know . I will apply nxt week ,I've been on IB for 6 months, just want to get it over and done with. Pls if you don't mind will you let me know how you get on. I hope it's not a long hard drawn out process

If you have only been on Illness Benefit for 6 months you may want to wait longer before applying for Invalidity Pension, or at least prepare yourself for a refusal and to re-apply later.

There are two ways to get Invalidity Pension. If you have already been on Illness Benefit for 12 months, then you only have to show that you will likely be be incapable of work for another 12 months. If you haven't been on Illness Benefit for at least 12 months, you have to show that you will never likely work again, which is clearly much harder.

The process with your employer is an entirely separate one. You are under no obligation to tell your employer that you have applied for Invalidity Pension.

Why is it harder to get if I go for it now instead of waiting another 6 mts pls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Why is it harder to get if I go for it now instead of waiting another 6 mts pls

The rules for Invalidity Pension give two separate ways to get it.

The first one is where you have been incapable of work for 12 months before you make your application. If this applies, you only have to show that you will continue to be incapable of work for 12 months after the claim was submitted.

Alternatively, if you have been incapable of work for less than 12 months when you submit the claim, you must show that you will likely remain incapable of work for the remainder of your life.

If you think that the medical evidence shows that you will never work again, then there's no problem going ahead with the claim. If you are refused, you can appeal. And once you get to the 12 month stage, you can always submit a second claim (even if the first one has not yet been fully determined) just to cover your back.

Advertisement