Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eligible?

• 16-05-2020 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I’m Irish and I’ve over 15 years (maybe closer to 20) of contributions paid throughout my working career so far and was wondering about getting the state pension years from now when I turn 68. See there’s a chance I will Be relocating to another country, and maybe retiring there also and I’m not too sure if it’s the kind of work (nothing illegal mind you) that there will be visible contributions made (hence zero chance of getting a pension there) and was wondering will that come into play when I reach retirement age and go looking for the State Pension back home? or maybe I don’t need to worry as I may have already reached the requirement? I know it’s a little confusing but Just interested in yer thoughts on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Yes, you would be eligible to apply for the pension. With 15 years contributions only though, out of a possible 40 years, it is likely that your pension would be at a reduced rate. If you are going to work in another eu country it would be preferable that you would put on contributions there abs then when pension time arrives you would have a part pension from Ireland and from that country. However, if you are going to a non eu country, or a country that we do not have a bilateral pension agreement with e. G Australia or you work in another country but no not out on a contribution you could apply to become a voluntary contributor in Ireland. This means you will keep paying your contributions in ireland. To apply to become a voluntary contributor you should complete the VC1 application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bazz1234

TheBeach wrote: »
    Yes, you would be eligible to apply for the pension. With 15 years contributions only though, out of a possible 40 years, it is likely that your pension would be at a reduced rate. If you are going to work in another eu country it would be preferable that you would put on contributions there abs then when pension time arrives you would have a part pension from Ireland and from that country. However, if you are going to a non eu country, or a country that we do not have a bilateral pension agreement with e. G Australia or you work in another country but no not out on a contribution you could apply to become a voluntary contributor in Ireland. This means you will keep paying your contributions in ireland. To apply to become a voluntary contributor you should complete the VC1 application form.
    That’s for the information. All very helpful,Cheers. It is a European country I’m going to yes. I think my best bet of getting residency is to apply as a retired person (That’s what I’ve been told over there anyway) - otherwise it just leaves it very complicated and maybe not successful. Perhaps, after that I can start to declare a certain amount and contribute as you’ve mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I would imagine so. My Father worked in the North for many years and also the uk and he was entitled to a pension from there but at a reduced rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Bazz1234 wrote: »
    I’m Irish and I’ve over 15 years (maybe closer to 20) of contributions paid throughout my working career so far and was wondering about getting the state pension years from now when I turn 68. See there’s a chance I will Be relocating to another country, and maybe retiring there also and I’m not too sure if it’s the kind of work (nothing illegal mind you) that there will be visible contributions made (hence zero chance of getting a pension there) and was wondering will that come into play when I reach retirement age and go looking for the State Pension back home? or maybe I don’t need to worry as I may have already reached the requirement? I know it’s a little confusing but Just interested in yer thoughts on this.

Even if you have only worked 15/20 years in Ireland, time spent on social welfare payment or signing for credits also counts towards pension entitlement.

As other poster mentioned, you can arrange to make voluntary contributions once you exit social insurance here (as long as you are doing so within 5 years since your last contribution). This is particularly important if you do not have 40 years combined work and credits.

Pension age is currently 66. While there were plans to change this imminently, these have been put on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bazz1234

Even if you have only worked 15/20 years in Ireland, time spent on social welfare payment or signing for credits also counts towards pension entitlement.

As other poster mentioned, you can arrange to make voluntary contributions once you exit social insurance here (as long as you are doing so within 5 years since your last contribution). This is particularly important if you do not have 40 years combined work and credits.

Pension age is currently 66. While there were plans to change this imminently, these have been put on hold.
    Oh I think you just hit the nail on the head. ‘40 years combined credits’ ? I did not know that was the requirement. Ok. Now it makes much more sense.
    Any idea how much those credits are-maybe it’s worked out individually as per circumstance? Interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Bazz1234 wrote: »
    Oh I think you just hit the nail on the head. ‘40 years combined credits’ ? I did not know that was the requirement. Ok. Now it makes much more sense.
    Any idea how much those credits are-maybe it’s worked out individually as per circumstance? Interesting

You normally get a credit each week that you receive a social welfare payment (or if you sign for credits or are sending in medical certs to social welfare). There are however some circumstances when you don't get credits, eg. after periods of self-employment, or if you have been out of the social insurance system for 2 complete years.

You can access a copy of your social welfare record on mygovid which will tell you how many weeks each year you have paid contributions (working) and credits.

Here is CitizensInformation page on it https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_insurance_prsi/credited_social_insurance_contributions.html

Voluntary Contributions are different. You can arrange to pay for these after you leave the social insurance system, as long as you aren't contributing in some other EU country. The amount you pay can vary, but starts at a flat rate of 500 Euro for the year. Again, here is info on it https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_insurance_prsi/voluntarysocialinsurancecontributions.html

Advertisement