Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension to Pebbledash Bungalow

Options
  • 16-05-2020 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am designing an extension onto a bungalow built during 1950s and has a white painted pebbledash finish.

This white pebbledash will not be changed or removed for various reasons. I would like some nice exterior finish to complement this on the extension which will run perpendicular on the end of the original house, about 90sq m. Would it be best to just continue the same pebbledash finish? Any good options for cladding or any other ideas are appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Dash it unless you want a Dermott Bannon look.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I wouldnt dash it, I'd use a nap render.

Why try make a 2020s extension look like something from the 1950s?

Let it be obvious that it's a modern extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Podge201 wrote: »
    Dash it unless you want a Dermott Bannon look.

Do this if you want it to look dated. IMO.

Use a modern render and maybe use a contrasting colour to the main dwelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I am designing an extension onto a bungalow built during 1950s and has a white painted pebbledash finish.

This white pebbledash will not be changed or removed for various reasons. I would like some nice exterior finish to complement this on the extension which will run perpendicular on the end of the original house, about 90sq m. Would it be best to just continue the same pebbledash finish? Any good options for cladding or any other ideas are appreciated?

I was out for a walk the other day and passed a cottage possibly built in the 30's (pebble dash finish) with a small modern extension in the process of being finished, from the distance I thought it was waiting to be rendered but when I got closer it was built from a pale grey brick (I'd not seen this type before) which looked a bit like stone, I had reservations about it but passed it again on the way back and stopped to look at it again, it actually grew on me, it was different.
    I think when it comes to extensions a completely different finish can work better than an effort to mimic the original one.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Blub123

I'd love to see this as my brother is in the same boat and really struggling in his decision.. Would you be able to point me to where I could see this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement