Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shredder\Chipper options

Options
  • 16-05-2020 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

So i have 3\4 acre site surrounded by a mix of hedgerow and large trees so does need maintenance and pruning most years,im trying to weigh up the options of renting out a proper petrol diesel chipper shredder from hire store ,think its about 400 for weekend,or should i invest and buy a petrol one,i have an electric one already and just find they are grand but not up to the bigger branches and slow to feed.Any recommendations makes models see a few new petrol ones on donedeal for 1000-1500.Can i justify the cost or should i just prune back hard and rent a big unit every few years?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

bazbrady wrote: »
    So i have 3\4 acre site surrounded by a mix of hedgerow and large trees so does need maintenance and pruning most years,im trying to weigh up the options of renting out a proper petrol diesel chipper shredder from hire store ,think its about 400 for weekend,or should i invest and buy a petrol one,i have an electric one already and just find they are grand but not up to the bigger branches and slow to feed.Any recommendations makes models see a few new petrol ones on donedeal for 1000-1500.Can i justify the cost or should i just prune back hard and rent a big unit every few years?.

In a similar position, except I don't have any shredder. What shredder do you have; up to what size does it handle? Is the bigger stuff any use for firewood? Would something like this handle more than your current machine?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/viking-petrol-chipper-shredder/24718481

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've the same sort of site.

The problem with powerful shredders:

- Storage/risk of theft
    - Maintenance
    - Maintenance
    - Maintenance

If they're not getting jammed they blade needs regular sharpening. The one I hired was a huge self-propelled thing and it still got jammed. Maybe it's a skill thing, but they just seem like a massive hassle to run/own.

My current plan is to buy a big single axle trailer with mesh sides and take the waste to my nearest recycling facility. It's annoying that I won't be able to keep the chippings on site though.

Of course then I have to stop the trailer getting nicked, but at least I don't have to maintain the shredder.

You're in Meath, right? It only costs €12 for a single axle trailer full.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

Was having the same debate for a while. Figured if I relied on renting then I would only do it when I had a ton of stuff to feed in to it so I’d only do it once in a while and be organised enough to have everything cut and piled up ready for it. I want to be able to do a few bits when I have time and then get rid of it there and then. Looking at the good branded smaller petrol shredders you’re looking at 6-8 grand so that wasn’t going to happen. There’s a good few Chinese ones on line and on done deal. Most seem to be variations of the same thing. Ended up buying one of these

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22868875

I know I’m taking a bit of a chance on the reliability and spare parts if needed so hopefully it works out.
    Has done about 12 hours or so now and seems ok. I’ve put a ton of griselinia through it, mainly 2 inch branches and smaller but some bigger. It is slow on the bigger stuff but I keep that for firewood anyway.

Advertisement