Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get peat moss

Options
  • 16-05-2020 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    I’m making an 8ft x 4ft raised bed for square foot planting. (Sfp)
    In sfp they recommend a soil mix called mels mix, which is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 compost.
    Thing is I can’t fingbpeat moss online anywhere except in ton bags which is too much.
    Also I’m not sure is using peat moss a good thing to use environmental ya good idea to use? Is there an alternative?
    Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

A lot of garden centres are doing click and collect, check the websites of those near you. If you're going to supermarkets a lot of those are selling compost also

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Buy some topsoil and manure or soil conditioner, I reckon you'd be fine. Personally, I would avoid peat for the reasons you mention. Not sure if the bulk suppliers are delivering at the moment though.

Edit: if you're in the greater Dublin, mulch.ie are doing deliveries and have peat free premixes. They do cubic metre and half cubic metre bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I used peat moss as a top dressing for an area of squelchy lawn, and it worked great, but I felt really guilty afterwards. I'm not sure the psychic damage outweighs the benefits, given that there are usually alternatives.

Advertisement