Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing goods

Options
  • 16-05-2020 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi
    I am hoping to set up an online supplement and health food store in Ireland.
    I am hoping to Import products from america for this.
    I was just wondering does anyone know if its possible to get everything shipped to a customs depot and collect everything from there or do I have to have the goods sent to a physical location/address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I suggest you look at a different business.

I say this genuinely as you are showing a lot of niaevity in your question.

Health supplements are regulated via labeling, description and mineral content (a certain level means it's a medicine)

You cannot simply import products, give no address and start selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Unfortunately I'd have to go +1 on Darc19s' recommendation.

Firstly, yes, you'd need an office address at the very least here.

Foodstuffs / supplements are possibly one of the worst things to cut your teeth on.

AFAIK you'd have to declare any imports to the FSAI and the goods have to be approved by them. Being already approved by the US equivalent is no guarantee that the FSAI will approve them. Also note that the same would apply to every individual type of product so if you had 10 different supplements then that's 10 different approvals.

Finally, unless you're buying from the US at seriously low wholesale prices then I can't see a huge profit in it - if any at all. Prices tend to sound great from the US but by the time you import them and pay duties, add VAT (if applicable) and set up a company here to do so the cream is gone off the pie I'm afraid.

Find something simpler than foodstuffs would be my advice - the less agencies you have to deal with the better.

Advertisement