Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription cycling glasses?

Options
  • 16-05-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

I’ve been wearing my prescription sunglasses while cycling but they fall down my nose a lot so would like to make cycling glasses my next purchase.

I do not want to buy contact lenses and wear regular cycling glasses.

Is there such a thing as prescription cycling sunglasses? There must be.

Looked on spec savers site and couldn’t find any. Quick search online and similarly couldn’t find any.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Optilabs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Optilabs

Fantastic. Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Fantastic. Thanks a mil

They really are excellent,great customer service also.
    They even sent over a box of different frames for me to try on before I purchased.
    Go for the direct glazed lenses if you can afford it (I don't like the prescription inserts,they are not as good IMO)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got mine in SpecSavers, no complaints.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Glanmire opticians if you're in cork will sort you out, or Gilna in Dublin. Both are owned by keen cyclists too

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Glanmire opticians if you're in cork will sort you out, or Gilna in Dublin. Both are owned by keen cyclists too

In Dublin. I’ve ordered my prescription from spec savers.

I’m liking the look of optilabs.

Really don’t want to go to a shop if I don’t need to. So avoiding going into the optician if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

I got mine from sunglasses.ie, based in Dublin but they’re online too

Found the turnaround time great! Nice amount of options for frames even for my (very strong prescription)

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I got mine from sunglasses.ie, based in Dublin but they’re online too

Found the turnaround time great! Nice amount of options for frames even for my (very strong prescription)

Will have a look. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

In Dublin. I’ve ordered my prescription from spec savers.

I’m liking the look of optilabs.

Really don’t want to go to a shop if I don’t need to. So avoiding going into the optician if at all possible.

Great advice and service from Optilabs but they will of course need an up-to-date prescription. I ended up getting varifocals so I can read the Garmin as well as see what's up ahead. I also went for the Reactolite coating so I don't have to decide what glasses to wear before heading out on a spin. Not cheap but I get great use out of them all year round and for a number of sports.

Great advice and service from Optilabs but they will of course need an up-to-date prescription. I ended up getting varifocals so I can read the Garmin as well as see what's up ahead. I also went for the Reactolite coating so I don't have to decide what glasses to wear before heading out on a spin. Not cheap but I get great use out of them all year round and for a number of sports.

I’ve ordered my prescription from spec savers. Should have it soon.

I’ll go with the reactolite too. Sounds great. These are the sort of things not to skimp on. As you say year round use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

It looks like Optilabs no longer do the try before you buy option for ROI customers - any other suggestions or options here? I'm actually looking for a pair with clear lenses for evening/night time cycling through the winter than tinted lenses in case that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Ive been using specsavers sunglasses for the past 2 years and although fine sunglasses day to day, they're not ideal for cycling.

Kept slipping and dont have huge eye coverage.

Sunglasses.ie, on dawson st have a good range of boille, oakley, dirty dog & other brands.

They do their own lenses, or can supply oakley prescription lenses if you're feeling flush!

I found them very helpful.

I bought prescription sunglasses from them recently but have little interest in paying so much for a brand when not needed for night time cycling, hence my interest in something like Optilabs!

Optilabs we’re great for me. Bought a pair from last year on advice from here. I use them for tennis and golf now too. Great glasses and service.

The problem is I'd need to try before I buy and that offer is no longer available for ROI :(

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Has anyone used Optilabs since BREXIT happened? I really like their prescription shades, but one pair I have is getting quite scratched. I’m afraid I’d be hit for import duty on a new pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

@Zen0 have you tried using ekoi from France, tey do prescription sunglassess as i see from their website. see here:

Now, Ive never ordered prescription sunglassess, as i dont need them, but ive ordered 2 sets of sunglasess from them before (customised) and turn around time is 5 days, quality is good and very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Wondering the same thing myself - my yellow low vis lenses are in bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Has anyone used the Ekoi configurator to order prescription cycling glasses? If so, how did it work out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What sort of costs are these coming in at? I wear glasses daily but only wear them at night on the bike for the unlit backroads on my commute. I don't do a ton of bike commuting so wouldn't want to spend big money but definitely want to have something. Due an eye test so will be able to get my prescription.

The Perso Evo 9 is coming in at a shade under €300 for frame, prescription insert lenses and delivery but I'm reluctant as they're inserts which have a reputation for fogging up.

https://racing.ekoi.com/en-ie/configurateur/perso-evo-9-3.html

My local optician can do the pair in the link below for €260. No inserts and while they're not cycling specific, they should be adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

Opitlabs in 2020 charged €280 for sports specific glasses. Sent prescription, glasses arrived in no time at all. Mine were more expensive than most as I got reactive lenses and I needed to get the slim lenses as quite blind! Have raced in biblical rain and sun and they rarely mist up but do on occasion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Which ones did you get @EAD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

Red n black pair, think they were called Flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is there any cheaper alternatives? I don't even spend that much on my daily glasses. €300 would get me a customised pair of prescription polarised sunglasses from reputable brands. I'm just looking for prescription lenses in a cycling suitable frame. At this rate I'll just get regular glasses with larger size lenses!

There's been a shift to online prescriptions and avoiding brands owned by Luxottica due to huge markups. Guess that's not a thing here, or at least not for cycling glasses?

What I'm looking for is something that's more wrap-around to avoid things like insects embedding themselves in my cornea, tears blurring my vision on descents/windy days and to provide a bit of protection from glare without being so dark as to make them unusable on cloudy days. The Bollé in the link above seem to fit most criteria but I'd prefer slimmer frames to avoid my vision being obscured when looking over my shoulder. However, slimmer wrap around frames seem to all use inserts (possibly due to glazing issues). I've heard various reports of inserts fogging up due to sweat, humidity, etc. I'd also like to know if the frame of the insert would affect vision in any way.

I'm leaning towards the Bollé at the moment. I'll need to visit my optician again to check the over the shoulder vision once more before I order them.

If I wanted something with inserts at value for money, I'd consider trying these https://buynewspecs.ie/mens/sports/cycling.html

I collected my pair of Bollé Kayman prescription sunglasses yesterday from my optician. Did a 50km spin today in mostly cloudy skies and a bit of drizzle. They fit perfectly. Wind was strong enough and no watery eyes. I'm really happy with them. Not cheap (€255) but well worth it.

Fitzpatrick's Opticians in Terenure if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Vision Express (and presumably Specsavers) carry Oakley prescription wrap-around sports shades. €300 sounds about right. You could wear them anywhere really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Just wondering is there anywhere I could get prescription lenes for my Oakley Radar sun glasses. They can't be bought direct.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement