Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid and Irish Meat

Options
  • 16-05-2020 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

Is it only the workers, poor souls, who are contaminated at Irish meat processing plants? Is the final product tested for contamination by microorganisms specifically Covid causing? I presume a lot of the product is sold in Irish shops but I could be wrong.
    From what I' ve read it is probable - if Coronaviris is the sames as Sars - that it will be destroyed by cooking. What about hand contamination prior to cooking?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

PMBC wrote: »
    Is it only the workers, poor souls, who are contaminated at Irish meat processing plants? Is the final product tested for contamination by microorganisms specifically Covid causing? I presume a lot of the product is sold in Irish shops but I could be wrong.
    From what I' ve read it is probable - if Coronaviris is the sames as Sars - that it will be destroyed by cooking. What about hand contamination prior to cooking?

Interesting point and it's surprising that no one has look into it yet or produced a news report.

The meat industry could be facing serious strife down the line either way as the workers could group together and seek compensation in relation to the lack of social distancing measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If the meat is cooked and done properly there should be no risk....

Where there could be a risk is packaging....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Thanks posters.
    The little check I did confirmed viruses would be destroyed in cooking (at what seem like reasonable temps). However dealing with the packaging and handling the meat are issues - current hand washing precautions, probably are sufficient.
    Given the size of the meat factories I think most of the stuff is for export so the rest goes to the local supermarkets. Butchers probably do a lot of their own killing and cutting, at least in rural towns they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

With a lot of places riddled from Covid and processors slow to react I'm surprised that no foods were contaminated. Could it be hiding in frozen foods for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

With a lot of places riddled from Covid and processors slow to react I'm surprised that no foods were contaminated. Could it be hiding in frozen foods for example?

The virus can not survive being cooked and people who handle raw meat without washing their hands and sanitizing their surfaces and equipment afterwards probably have more dangerous illnesses to worry about than Coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'm turning vegetarian, better be safe than sorry, never eating meat again #boycott #thinkoftheworkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

The fsai say not.
    Can COVID-19 be passed on through food?
    No reported cases of COVID-19 have been linked to contamination of food. The main risk of transmission is from close contact with infected people. The advice to food businesses and consumers is to maintain good hygiene practices and to wash your hands regularly. Thorough cooking will kill the virus.

Do you know of any cases they are unaware of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I'm turning vegetarian, better be safe than sorry, never eating meat again #boycott #thinkoftheworkers

Because no one handles your veg or salads. Do you cook your lettuce?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Because no one handles your veg or salads. Do you cook your lettuce?

no Keelings for me either, no fruit no meat, I've sworn off Ryanair aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

no Keelings for me either, no fruit no meat, I've sworn off Ryanair aswell...

The fresh air diet? These days even that can be dangerous.

Best not breathe to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The fresh air diet? These days even that can be dangerous.

Best not breathe to be sure.

He eats his own faeces. Straight from the source. No middleman.

Advertisement