Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did my pruning go wrong

Options
  • 16-05-2020 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Two or three years ago I plated new apple trees along a fence and began training them like an espalier / cordon.

Last summer, after watching various YouTubes etc, I tried pruning them to produce fruit, and cut the new schoots to about 3/4 leaves from the main stem (in July or August I think).

This year, they seem to be just throwing out new growth - no sign of blossoms or fruit buds.

See pic below. Any advice appreciated.

513172.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I don't think you did anything wrong, but I was told that you prune in summer to encourage growth and in winter to encourage fruiting. Am not sure that's 100% scientifically correct but I've always done it - and it seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

I think you took off too much leaf too early, and the plant has gone into regrowth mode and forsaken flowering.
    As Lottpaul says do the training and forming in the Summer and the pruning in Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Ok. Thanks. Come winter, should I prune Bach to last year’s growth or this year’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

I wouldn't be going mad with the pruning this year. Restrict it to removing the lighter of any crossing branches and ones growing the same way but too close together. Leave the rest as they will carry next years flowers.

Advertisement