Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wheelset - Giant vs. DT Swiss?

Options
  • 16-05-2020 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭

I bought a pair of new unused DT Swiss ARC 1400 Dicut db 62mm disc wheels from a friend. He took them off a new bike, I haven't even collected them yet. I was intending to put them on a new Canyon Ultimate that I hadn't yet bought.

In the meantime I changed my mind and got a Giant TCR. This comes with Giant SLR-1 Disc 42mm carbon wheels.

I want to decide which to sell or keep before the Giant arrives in a week or two so I can sell the other set new and unused (I live abroad unfortunately so won't be able to sell here).

The DT Swiss are probably better but I wonder if the 62mm is a bit much. They will be my first deeper section wheels.

The Giant SLR are probably not as well reviewed, I've seen suggestions they are heavy and don't roll well, but they have the advantage of coming with tubeless tyres fitted which I'd put on anyway, and 42mm probably suits my use better

Any thoughts on which is better to keep? For group rides / sportive use, no racing.

Also what would be a reasonable asking price if I were to sell each with tires and disc rotors included (GP5000 25mm on the DT Swiss, CADEX Race 25 tubeless on the Giant)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Are the tcr wheels giant or cadex?

I know you're going to say they're the same but I thought giant had revived the cadex label for a catalogue of verrry very pricey wheels so I'd have presumed the quality to be up there with the pricing?

62 is very deep as well.

It depends for me on what you paid. Wheels that come as part of a build are generally great value, and wheels you buy from your mate should also be great value. Is it worth selling either set for minimal clawback?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

62mm are very deep for leisure/sportive use. They absolutely will get buffeted in the wind and could be quite a handful. 42mm is very manageable and only the strongest of winds should effect them and even then it won’t be too bad.

I’d keep the Giant wheels and sell the DT’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

They are Giant branded on the TCR. I did see a few Cadex ones in the shop. It is an Advanced Pro 1 Disc so not the absolute top level of TCR. Big hole in the wallet though so I will be selling one of them to claw back a bit of it.

The DT Swiss are on sale for 1500 new most places - I paid a good bit less than that (I paid for them in March for delivery expected in June, friend was happy to have that money guaranteed and put towards the new bike) so would easily make my money back I'd hope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The DT Swiss wheels arrived today. They do look beautiful. Stuck them up on top of a wardrobe and will keep them or sell them new by the end of the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

I have those DT Swiss wheels on my Aeroad that I bought earlier this year. They are a fantastic wheelset, roll really well and just seem to skim along the road. And they look class, which is the most important part really!!
    However, they do wobble a lot in crosswinds, so much so I also bought a set of Mavic 42mm Cosmics for the windy days ;);)

Keep both!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ratracer wrote: »
    However, they do wobble a lot in crosswinds
    must be the delirium tremens.

Advertisement