If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for TV, sound bar and stand

Options
  • 16-05-2020 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I need a new TV to replace my trusty old Philips TV bought from you back when you ran the Philips store in Dublin!

I've been looking around and am interested in the Sony KD43XG8196BU. I see you also have the new 2020 version the XH, but from what I can see it doesn't really offer enough to warrant the considerably higher price, is that right?

I was thinking of a sound bar too, and I thought about the Sony HTCT290 for no better reason than it's also a Sony, so compatibility pretty much guaranteed (and it works with the same remote?), but if there's anything better out there sound wise for the same money roughly, please advise. The Roth Sub Zero III looks nice too.

I'd need a new stand too and was thinking of the Alphason Essentials 1000W, I think that'd be wide enough for the feet?

So I was wondering what kind of price you could do for those 3 delivered to Bray, Co. Wicklow?

Also what's the deal regarding WEEE? Will the delivery driver take away my old TV?

EDIT: I know it's a lot more expensive, but I'm also wondering about the Samsung 43" QLED TV, the QE43Q60T (I assume the Q60R is an old model, and sold out?) Is the QLED technology worth it in terms of picture contrast? I'm finding it quite difficult these days to watch many movies and TV series where the makers seem obsessed with making the picture as dark as possible, and have to strain to make out what's going on sometimes.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Alun wrote: »
    Hi, I need a new TV to replace my trusty old Philips TV bought from you back when you ran the Philips store in Dublin!

I've been looking around and am interested in the Sony KD43XG8196BU. I see you also have the new 2020 version the XH, but from what I can see it doesn't really offer enough to warrant the considerably higher price, is that right?

I was thinking of a sound bar too, and I thought about the Sony HTCT290 for no better reason than it's also a Sony, so compatibility pretty much guaranteed (and it works with the same remote?), but if there's anything better out there sound wise for the same money roughly, please advise. The Roth Sub Zero III looks nice too.

I'd need a new stand too and was thinking of the Alphason Essentials 1000W, I think that'd be wide enough for the feet?

So I was wondering what kind of price you could do for those 3 delivered to Bray, Co. Wicklow?

Also what's the deal regarding WEEE? Will the delivery driver take away my old TV?

EDIT: I know it's a lot more expensive, but I'm also wondering about the Samsung 43" QLED TV, the QE43Q60T (I assume the Q60R is an old model, and sold out?) Is the QLED technology worth it in terms of picture contrast? I'm finding it quite difficult these days to watch many movies and TV series where the makers seem obsessed with making the picture as dark as possible, and have to strain to make out what's going on sometimes.
    Hi Alun,

Thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you!

The Sonys are fantastic TVs, the main difference in the XH8196 is that it includes the X1 processor and the XG series has the lower spec'd X-Reality Pro processor. The colour and contrast would be better on the new model however they are both very siliar in terms of motion processing. I can also do you £100 off the price of the new model so it would be £599 for the KD43XH8196.

The Samsung QLED would be a step up over the 8196 though as the panel technology and the processors would give a better picture however I usually find the Sonys are more stable for motion processing!

For the Soundbar the Sony HTCT290 would be a great choice and pair very well with the Sony TV (however I only have one of these available in stock in our Belfast store and it's the last one!)

I could do the following pricing for you including shipping to Bray:

Sony KD43XH8196
    Sony HTCT290
    Alphason Essentials 1000W (very low stock)
    Total: £857.95

Sony KD43XG8196
    Sony HTCT290
    Alphason Essentials 1000w
    Total: £707.95

Samsung QE43Q60T
    Sony HTCT290
    Alphason Essentials 1000W
    Total: £1057.95

Unfortunately at the moment we are unable to collect WEE TVs due to coronavirus restrictions!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hi David,

PM Sent,

Alun

Hi David,

PM Sent,

Alun
    Thanks for the PM Alun.

We will get back to it ASAP. 

Kenny.

The TV and stand arrived on Wednesday, and the soundbar today, very quick delivery, I'm impressed! The picture quality of the TV is great, a big step up from my old Philips!!

The only problem so far is that I can't get the soundbar to work with the TV via HDMI ARC. The TV recognises it when I plug it in, and takes me through the setup dialogue, but when it comes to outputting the test sound, I hear nothing. It's connected to the right HDMI socket on the TV (HDMI 3, which is the only one with ARC) and the only incorrectly configured thing (detected by the diagnostics) was the output sound format was set to Auto and should have been set to PCM, as this is all the soundbar can handle apparently.

I currently have it connected with the optical cable which works, but I can't control the volume with the TV remote. I assume I should be able to do that if everything was working OK via HDMI ARC, although the instruction booklet is a bit vague on that, referring to it being compatible with Bravia Sync. Does Bravia Sync rely on the ARC channel working for it's operation??

I've ordered a new HDMI cable from you to eliminate that from the equation, but would appreciate a bit of help with this.

The TV and stand arrived on Wednesday, and the soundbar today, very quick delivery, I'm impressed! The picture quality of the TV is great, a big step up from my old Philips!!

The only problem so far is that I can't get the soundbar to work with the TV via HDMI ARC. The TV recognises it when I plug it in, and takes me through the setup dialogue, but when it comes to outputting the test sound, I hear nothing. It's connected to the right HDMI socket on the TV (HDMI 3, which is the only one with ARC) and the only incorrectly configured thing (detected by the diagnostics) was the output sound format was set to Auto and should have been set to PCM, as this is all the soundbar can handle apparently.

I currently have it connected with the optical cable which works, but I can't control the volume with the TV remote. I assume I should be able to do that if everything was working OK via HDMI ARC, although the instruction booklet is a bit vague on that, referring to it being compatible with Bravia Sync. Does Bravia Sync rely on the ARC channel working for it's operation??

I've ordered a new HDMI cable from you to eliminate that from the equation, but would appreciate a bit of help with this.
    Hi Alun,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the soundbar! The Bravia Link should just work through the HDMI, it allows you to control other components with the same remote control.

If you try out those cables first and see if that solves the issue as ARC will only run through HDMI rated at 1.4 or above. The cables you have purchased are rated at 2.0 so it won't be an issue with the new cables!

Let me know if the new cables work and if it still isn't working we can try to isolate the problem!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Thanks David, I'm sure the new cables should help. I'll report back when they arrive.

Thanks David, I'm sure the new cables should help. I'll report back when they arrive.
    No problem Alun, keep me posted!

Kind regards

David

That solved it. The soundbar was detected immediately after plugging in the new cable, and I can now control the volume of the soundbar via the TV as well as automatically power it on and off when I power the TV on and off.

I can't control any other features of the soundbar through the Home Theatre Control feature though which is a little disappointing, but reading up on it that seems to be a feature of the higher-end models.

That solved it. The soundbar was detected immediately after plugging in the new cable, and I can now control the volume of the soundbar via the TV as well as automatically power it on and off when I power the TV on and off.

I can't control any other features of the soundbar through the Home Theatre Control feature though which is a little disappointing, but reading up on it that seems to be a feature of the higher-end models.
    Hi Alun,

Thanks for getting back to me and delighted to hear the cables solved your problem!

If you have any more issues with the soundbar please do not hesitate to drop us a post! I do think the level of control on those soundbars increases the further up the range you go, especially with their Atmos soundbars!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.