Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hoping to discourage large birds

• 16-05-2020 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭

My neighbours are putting out a lot of food out in their garden which is attracting a large amount of birds.

However, in addition to bird feeders etc. they're throwing out spuds, coleslaw and whatever food scraps they have. This is drawing in a heap of magpies, crows and most recently seagulls.

I love hearing the birds singing this spring, but I'm sick of my garden, my windows, cars, clothes and garden wall covered in bird ****e.

I'm going to ask my neighbours if they might consider putting out less food waste to discourage the larger birds, but I'm wondering if there are any natural ways to keep them away from around my house?

I understand that magpies are territorial so will they stay in the area regardless?

I have a friend who traps them and I hope it doesn't come to that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Is Cuttlefish your next door neighbour?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058077726

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Del.Monte wrote: »

Ah Jaysus 😂

Not unless Cuttlefish is in his 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

An Eagle Owl Model will keep them away - at least for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

hardybuck wrote: »
    My neighbours are putting out a lot of food out in their garden which is attracting a large amount of birds.

However, in addition to bird feeders etc. they're throwing out spuds, coleslaw and whatever food scraps they have. This is drawing in a heap of magpies, crows and most recently seagulls.

I love hearing the birds singing this spring, but I'm sick of my garden, my windows, cars, clothes and garden wall covered in bird ****e.

I'm going to ask my neighbours if they might consider putting out less food waste to discourage the larger birds, but I'm wondering if there are any natural ways to keep them away from around my house?

I understand that magpies are territorial so will they stay in the area regardless?

Unfortunately ppl are mad ,I've a fantastic neighborhour,she does the same ,
    albeit she puts/dumps bread spuds in tbe street for the crows/ gulls and 2 others down the road for likewise,
    They don't give a feck, won't change, and ppl worry why we'd rodent's twice in the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

You won't change ppl who do it every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

In fairness to them they're lovely people and great neighbours otherwise. I'd give them the opportunity to be fair first before going in heavy handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

In fairness to them they're lovely people and great neighbours otherwise. I'd give them the opportunity to be fair first before going in heavy handed.

And if it comes to the heavy handed approach,a crow banger is a good option:D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Maybe you could point out (in the nicest possible way) that:
    The food is drawing rats;
    Magpies, seagulls, rooks and the like predate on small birds and their chicks and so reduce the numbers of small birds
    Magpies are an alien species and shouldn't be fed
    Seabirds (unless by the coast) are being encouraged out of their natural environment by the food
    The smaller song birds don't need to be fed anymore until the end of the autumn

You could also try contacting birdwatch Ireland to see if they can help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

pdpmur wrote: »
    Maybe you could point out (in the nicest possible way) that:
    The food is drawing rats;
    Magpies, seagulls, rooks and the like predate on small birds and their chicks and so reduce the numbers of small birds
    Magpies are an alien species and shouldn't be fed
    Seabirds (unless by the coast) are being encouraged out of their natural environment by the food
    The smaller song birds don't need to be fed anymore until the end of the autumn

You could also try contacting birdwatch Ireland to see if they can help

Magpies do, Gulls and Rooks don't. And they don't have any noticeable effect on the numbers of small birds (i.e. population level effects).

Also Magpies are not an alien/non-native/invasive species - they arrived here on their own steam so they're as natural and native as any other species we have.

OP - stick to the facts in any discussion with your neighbours! Maybe ask them if they could cut back? Restrict it to just weekends or something similar? If you have a good relationship with them, and approach it in the right way, I'm sure some satisfactory conclusion can be reached?

Also, not legal to trap Magpies for the reasons you've stated.

Advertisement