Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy re-opening borders to tourists = Wave number 2 in Europe?

Options
  • 16-05-2020 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Sorry, but what the fúck?

One of the worst hit countries with it in the world - 242 deaths yesterday alone - is opening back up?

How can this lead to anything but another wave in Europe and us starting all over again in 2 months with more lockdowns? (or as we had in Ireland, "lockdowns")

Italy will re-open to tourists from early June and scrap a mandatory two-week quarantine period, quickening the country’s exit from its coronavirus lockdown.

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte enforced a shutdown in early March to counter the Covid-19 pandemic, which has killed over 31,500 people in the country.

https://www.thejournal.ie/italy-reopen-borders-tourists-covid-19-5100624-May2020/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Either they know something we don’t, or they need the tourist economy to rev back up quickly. I’m sure lots will be careful and not travel but there’s probably plenty who will see an opportunity for a cheap trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Italy was on the verge of going bust in recent times, so I'm guessing they are simply trying to do a balancing act between opening up and starting the economy again, and not killing too many.

I am sure they are putting plans in place to protect the very vulnerable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

NIMAN wrote: »

I am sure they are putting plans in place to protect the very vulnerable?

Yes but what about all the tourists who go there for cheap deals and bring it back to their country?

Wasn't the initial spread of this in Ireland thought to have stemmed from a large group of Irish returning from a ski trip in Italy?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Yes but what about all the tourists who go there for cheap deals and bring it back to their country?

Wasn't the initial spread of this in Ireland thought to have stemmed from a large group of Irish returning from a ski trip in Italy?

People have to move around. How long do you think we should stop this happening? 6months? A year? Two years?

As for the other thing, I'm not sure if our infections were all traced back to ski trips to Italy. I'm sure some were, but not all of them. I'm sure there were multiple things like Cheltenham, football fans etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Those who were going to die in large numbers from it are now dead, they have picked the right time to progress for the rest of the populations health. The attitude some are taking is that people should stay in their bed all day waiting to die to minimise risk of death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Those who were going to die in large numbers from it are now dead,
    Well, not really. OK if we're talking of regions like northern Italy then yeah, but it didn't rip through all the other regions with vulnerable populations to the same degree. That said we have to get moving again, so it'll be interesting to watch what happens in what was ground zero for a horrible health crisis in Europe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ITALY WILL RE-OPEN to tourists from early June

tenor.gif

Just wait until you see the garden centres in Ireland on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Those who were going to die in large numbers from it are now dead, they have picked the right time to progress for the rest of the populations health. The attitude some are taking is that people should stay in their bed all day waiting to die to minimise risk of death.

I'm sure you've done extensive research to back up your points of course? You didn't go plucking that out of your hole or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Anyone going will have to isolate on return so hope everyone has plenty of holiday days saved

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

I pasted it direct from the Journal link Kermit. Many online articles lead with shouty capital letters for the first few words for some strange reason

I'll edit now

Anyone going will have to isolate on return so hope everyone has plenty of holiday days saved

This is hard to police though.

When you fly back in and are told at the airport to isolate, are those people going to follow you home and watch you for the next week or two?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I pasted it direct from the Journal link Kermit. Many online articles lead with shouty capital letters for the first few words for some strange reason

I'll edit now

The gif is Europe's reaction! Not the shouting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

For how long though? That isolation on return will only be a short lived measure wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

This is hard to police though.

When you fly back in and are told at the airport to isolate, are those people going to follow you home and watch you for the next week or two?

No but if you land in to work the next day you'll be told to go home until you get tested, no workplace wants a cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just wait until you see the garden centres in Ireland on Monday!
    They have gardai outside my local tesco a fair bit. I wonder will they be outside these places questioning and turning people away, it is supposed to only be for emergency needs, like a burst pipe or something.
    Speaking on This Week on RTÉ Radio 1 on Sunday, Ms Humphreys said: “Hardware stores can operate. I want to stress, this is in a very limited and restricted way.

“It’s not the case that hardware stores should be open to the general public but if you need something as an emergency, for example, if you have a burst pipe in your house, or if there’s a hole in your roof and the rain is coming in, or the fridge gives up.

“Obviously, in emergency cases like that, you and your tradesman are going to need to be able to access certain materials from the hardware shops to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Such a disingenuous post. Like most countries, most of Italy's population hasn't been infected yet so how could all those who would die from it have died? In the UK we think circa 30k deaths at the moment is beyond awful but left unchecked the government think the reasonable worst case scenario would be 500k dead. People are free to hold the view that lockdown should be ended, but hiding behind demonstratedly wrong nonsense says that they know full well their "arguments" have no foundation and any amount of deaths is worth it for the economic price. Which is ironic as we never have a penny to rub together anyway due to tax dodging corporations but that's another thread.

People have to move around. How long do you think we should stop this happening? 6months? A year? Two years?

Of course they do. But do really think re-opening the country that started the spread of it in the EU this soon is an ok idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Too quick to reopen.We will see in 4-6 weeks the benefit of our reopening strategy when measured against the Italian reopening one. I have no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Slovenia have also said they won't be imposing quarantine for EU visitors. They're basically down to no new cases, and the virus is gone from there.

I have to say, I'm a bit baffled. If you've got rid of the virus, would you not be doing everything possible to keep it out? As someone stuck in lockdown London, it seems like such a privilege to be able to live our life normally without any fear of being infected. Go shopping, go to bars, see your friends. Everyone back to work as normal, improving the economy. Why on earth would you risk all of that for some tourist dollars? I know tourism is a big deal for some countries, but it doesn't seem remotely worth it.

• Advertisement

The Italian PM has acknowledged they are taking a high risk but claims they have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That could only be true if every person in Italy had been infected. They are miles away from that point. Even in the north theres still millions who weren't infected. They have to open up but the virus is going nowhere and will spread again once they do. Its the same for all of us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

rubadub wrote: »
    They have gardai outside my local tesco a fair bit. I wonder will they be outside these places questioning and turning people away, it is supposed to only be for emergency needs, like a burst pipe or something.

Have you a link to that quote from Heather Hunpries and when she said it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

No but if you land in to work the next day you'll be told to go home until you get tested, no workplace wants a cluster.

There’d be no reason for them to know that you were in Rome for the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I'd tell you what next week I'm off work and if there was a flight going I'd bite your arm off for it. I'm sick to death of working my arse off as an essiential worker only to be told I must stay at home for my summer holiday. I think I bloody well deserve a week in the sun.

As for the other thing, I'm not sure if our infections were all traced back to ski trips to Italy. I'm sure some were, but not all of them. I'm sure there were multiple things like Cheltenham, football fans etc too.

Well, rather than an arbitrary number of months, should it not be when the virus is under control? 262 deaths a day when you're well past the peak doesn't seem 'under control' to me.

I agree this situation can't go on forever, and the effects of it are starting to outweigh the benefits, in terms of mental health, the economy and other things, but the last thing you'd want is starting up too soon and it all going to sh1t again, for the sake of a few months. No point in making a bit of money from tourists if you have to lock down again for months after another surge in cases. Seems like it would be sensible for every country to keep their borders closed for the foreseeable future until cases are down to almost nothing, no?

GT89 wrote: »
    I'd tell you what next week I'm off work and if there was a flight going I'd bite your arm off for it. I'm sick to death of working my arse off as an essiential worker only to be told I must stay at home for my summer holiday. I think I bloody well deserve a week in the sun.

Would you enjoy it though?

I feel the same as you, absolutely desperate to get away and haven't taken any leave in over a year now. Was meant to go away in April but it got cancelled. But as much as I'd love a holiday, I'm not sure it'd be much of a holiday with worrying about getting ill at the airport or on the plane, wondering if your hotel room was properly cleaned, if your food was safe, if anyone in the hotel had coronavirus, etc. I feel like I'd end up more stressed than when I left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The Italian PM has acknowledged they are taking a high risk but claims they have no choice.

And if there's no economy who's going to pay for all those ventilators, PPE and ICU beds if the second wave comes? If we keep using the lockdown to stop the spread of covid eventually the economy will collapse and more people will die as they won't be able to get medical supplies.

GT89 wrote: »
    And if there's no economy who's going to pay for all those ventilators, PPE and ICU beds if the second wave comes? If we keep using the lockdown to stop the spread of covid eventually the economy will collapse and more people will die as they won't be able to get medical supplies.

This is true however there is also the thorny issue of Italian mismanagement over generations of their financial affairs which leaves them hopelessly exposed in any crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Italy as whole can continue without tourism. But there are parts of Italy that cannot.

Advertisement