Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy re-opening borders to tourists = Wave number 2 in Europe?

Options

Comments

The_Brood wrote: »
    Many other European countries unlike Ireland are also re-opening now, in various degrees, but in any way way faster than Ireland. So are they all wrong and will suffer badly with a new virus wave? We will see.

The alternative is that Leo is keeping us under needless lockdown because obviously he won't have to deal with the various serious consequences of Ireland being very late and among the last the reopen.

Most of Europe got hit hard well before Ireland did so it makes sense to a degree that they're ahead now in terms of lifting restrictions - I'd say politics will be influencing decisions much more in European countries now than medical advice - personal responsibility will have to play a role too i.e. for elderly that may mean limiting contact possibly for the next few years.

We've been well educated in Ireland so the concept of choice will have to play a role at some point- just because a pub opens doesn't mean you have to go etc You can still just stay at home with your immediate family, work from home if allowed, and decide where you wish to travel to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

GT89 wrote: »
    I'm entitled to a bloody holiday after working my ass off. I have the money and I think I've earned it. Tbh I'd probably get more health benefit out going on holiday from vitamin D. Too add insult to injury I have no doubt the Germans will be in Italy in they're droves this summer.

Go to a different country so. If your holiday is so important.

Would you not just go to a country with a lower rate of infection if a holiday is an absolute must. No way I would be going to Italy on holiday. It's completely unnecessary

While I think most of us feel we're deserving of a holiday this year, I'm happy to sacrifice and spend my money on something else like some small home improvements. Many don't even have the money for a holiday. I don't see any scenario where "a holiday is an absolute must"-

While I think most of us feel we're deserving of a holiday this year, I'm happy to sacrifice and spend my money on something else like some small home improvements. Many don't even have the money for a holiday. I don't see any scenario where "a holiday is an absolute must"-

Exactly. It's not. There are more important things. I won't be going away either.

Wibbs wrote: »
    IIRC Sicily has fewer cases and deaths than Ireland with near enough the same number of people living there? The main risk I'd imagine would be the actual travel too and from there. What with sharing recirculating air with a couple of hundred other people in an aluminium tube for eight hours there and back.

I would be more concerned about the travel. Airports and planes. No thanks. It's not worth it.
    It's a really horrible sickness even if you don't die from itm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I hope to be in Italy before the end of the year. Potential issue maybe the isolation period on the return, although I expect this will be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭bmc58

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Sorry, but what the fúck?

One of the worst hit countries with it in the world - 242 deaths yesterday alone - is opening back up?

How can this lead to anything but another wave in Europe and us starting all over again in 2 months with more lockdowns? (or as we had in Ireland, "lockdowns")

https://www.thejournal.ie/italy-reopen-borders-tourists-covid-19-5100624-May2020/

Europe falling apart.Countries need money for their economies at this stage,if some more elderly people die because of Covid 19 ,they don't seem to care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

bmc58 wrote: »
    Europe falling apart.Countries need money for their economies at this stage,if some more elderly people die because of Covid 19 ,they don't seem to care.

Many more people will die if economies crumble. Hard to invest in health services when there is no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

If someone is going away they usually tell their workmates, if you come back in after a weekend in Rome they won't want to be near you and will rise a stink with management, anyone failing to say they were in a hot zone could be sacked with no issue.

Hot zone? Italy now has less cases per capita than Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

I would be more concerned about the travel. Airports and planes. No thanks. It's not worth it.
    It's a really horrible sickness even if you don't die from itm

Wear correct PPE, mask and goggles on the flight

You'll be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I have 10 days booked in Northern Italy this September...

Won't be going...will only lose my flights(circa €220), hotel has free cancelation...

Don't think it worth the risk to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seriously who would travel to Italy or anywhere outside Ireland this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭bmc58

Many more people will die if economies crumble. Hard to invest in health services when there is no money.

Don't disagree.But is it coming to the point where unbeliveable hard choices have to be made for the country as a whole.These choices do go against all our mindsets,but is it coming to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Things have changed so much in the last 2 months, by September or November who knows what position we will be in. We cant just stop living, I'll rephrase that people wont stop living just because you may choose to which is perfectly within your rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I’ll be travelling as soon as it’s allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I’ll be travelling as soon as it’s allowed.

It's never not been allowed.
    You can get a flight in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It's never not been allowed.
    You can get a flight in the morning.

Really what I mean is when I won’t have to quarantine on return plus I live more than 5k from the airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Go to a different country so. If your holiday is so important.

Well it looks like Italy will be the first country to reopen so not like I'm going to have much choice

HBC08 wrote: »
    "I'm entitled"
    Says it all really.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to expect a holiday after grafting away for the year. Sitting at home off work for a week dosen't sound much like a holiday to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

GT89 wrote: »
    Well it looks like Italy will be the first country to reopen so not like I'm going to have much choice

Slovenia has already reopened all it's borders and no Quarantine required.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/slovenia-becomes-first-country-in-europe-to-formally-call-an-end-to-its-coronavirus-outbreak-2020-05-15

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There are only 2 types of punter in the “flying on me holiday” debate. Those who are dying to get away and those who won’t fly until next year. There isn’t really a middle ground.

I’ve said it in other threads for a while, economic pressures who push the hand of the Mediterranean countries who rely on tourism and they’re all eager to be the first to open to catch as much tourism as they can. First Greece, then Italy and then Spain (although Spain are least guilty - I’ll get to that)

The EU isn’t going to make blanket laws preventing travel. The Irish government won’t either but is dissuading travel by way of quarantine. In fact it’s not in their interest to ban travel because it only risks people secretly travelling over the summer and if they catch the virus, withholding information about where they were etc.

Spain has had a very strict and heavily enforced lockdown and is slowly reopening. The Spanish are very carefully reopening. They came up with a colour coded system for regions which is something that should be replicated across Europe. In some parts of Spain it’s green, therefore currently you can grab a pint on a bar terrace (with reduced occupancy). Other regions are amber and red and don’t yet have this. Here’s the clever thing, Feb authorities are present at roads in to red areas to make sure no one breaks the rules.

Spain is opening up to tourism in July hit singled out the U.K. as a country to not yet welcome in. Therefore they are only opening up to Shengen countries in July. Sadly that means us Irish can’t get it either.

Personality I’m gagging to travel again. I have a property in Spain in the green area and I’m eager to get back. There are many others like me. I’m willing to be in quarantine on return to Ireland as I’ll probably take an extended break to Spain once the opportunity arises.

One final point to note. As Ireland is on No unnecessary foreign travel recommendation by the government, your travel insurance won’t cover you abroad. Although your EHIC is still ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

"After 13 days since the ease of the lockdown, all 20 regions in Italy except Lombardy reported less than 100 cases each. Today's positive rate is 1,1%, lowest ever reported. "

https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/?utm_source=fasciahp

Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Hot zone? Italy now has less cases per capita than Ireland

But if you break it into regions it's different. Sure southeast of ireland had less than 400 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Slovenia basically has no cases now.

Italy could get this right or cause a second wave. Time will tell

Really what I mean is when I won’t have to quarantine on return plus I live more than 5k from the airport.

5km limit only applies for "exercise"

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

The virus doesn't know borders.
    Also there are many countries less affected than Ireland.
    So by your logic you would be much safer traveling to Denmark than staying in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

niallo27 wrote: »
    Things have changed so much in the last 2 months, by September or November who knows what position we will be in. We cant just stop living, I'll rephrase that people wont stop living just because you may choose to which is perfectly within your rights.

This is true. I think people do forget just how fast this whole thing took off. My mam was banging on about people who went to Italy skiing in February and how selfish they were, when Italy had been bad for 'months'. I had to tell her that the outbreak in Italy only started in February. When those people flew out there, they had no idea there was any covid risk. It literally went from being 'normal' to being an absolute disaster zone within 3 weeks.

People forget just how quickly things can soon become 'normal'. Imagine if someone had told you in mid January that there would be a nationwide lockdown within 8 weeks because of a global pandemic, flights would all be grounded and we'd have to wear masks around the place. You'd have thought they were absolutely mental and ridiculous. Now people are used to the idea that everything has shut down, it seems unthinkable that travel could be possible this year, but September is still four months away - about as long since the whole thing kicked off.

I just have my fingers firmly crossed that that was the worst of it, and this will become an annoying background worry rather than the centre of everyone's thoughts at all times. I went to live in an area of South America for 6 months which had a high prevalence of zika and dengue, and it was irritating and burdensome to have to remember to put spray on every day and be conscious of mosquitos, but it didn't stop you living your life, going out for drinks or for walks. You'd just spray yourself and hope for the best and take note of any bites and when they happened in case you developed symptoms. I'm hoping it might be more like that rather than the constant panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you a link to that quote from Heather Hunpries and when she said it?

I just saw it in the times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-can-be-accessed-only-for-emergencies-says-minister-1.4232565

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bmc58 wrote: »
    Don't disagree.But is it coming to the point where unbeliveable hard choices have to be made for the country as a whole.These choices do go against all our mindsets,but is it coming to this?

do you want old people thrown out of care homes, care packages stopped pensions stopped, etc etc. lots more will die then

my mother is in a care home in the uk they went on full lockdown - no visitors before the lockdown in ireland touch wood they havent had a case yet but apparently they are short staffed dure to staff been off ill. the home have been giving meals in their room, only allowed out individually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Crazy thought. What if this is the second wave? Given we now know the virus has been around a lot longer in some countries and the lack of transparency in the early days, it’s a possibility?

Advertisement