Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Office Chair Wheels?

• 16-05-2020 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭

:o Yeah. Sorry, lads. Searched the skin off Boards. No good. Figure, as I'm trying to 'Do It Myself' in replacing the bloody thing ....?

I won't bother with photo's. Them as know will know ;)

99.9% of google shows a wheel / caster with the pin sticking out? Well, my chair has the pin sticking out :confused:

I tried pulling another wheel off? It came.

I could take the Mole Grips to the pin sticking out of the chair. See if it's the same at both ends, thus imagining a 'pinned' wheel pin would pop back in there? Or. I might destroy the bloody chair in that process!

Managed to google up this:

https://www.ambista.com/en/castors/office-chair-castors-dk-5000-31046

Thoughts :confused:

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The pin should remain with the castor with compression fitting into chair base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

Aha! A response :)

I suspect ye right. I thought the last one went that way? Right bugger that I don't remember.

As it is: I cracked and took the vice grips to it. What I now have on my desk I've visually matched with things on line. Now, in the next day or two, I'm going into town and shall buy one of those calipers that looks a bit like a monkey spanner?

That'll give me the exact measurements. I then hope to find the same and buy the wheels bearing said pins.

This, of course, all on the proviso that I don't die of a fractured skull first! Where there's no pin in the arm of the chair, it has a two inch tip. Dog jumped on my lap, the other night, and we all smashed to the floor! Chair's now a bloody death trap!

Vernier caliper is what you need.

Vernier! That's the one! :D I was actually amazed at how many models ~ and prices ~ even the local providers store holds!

Got the idea though. I want a digital one, because of my eyes. And, anything in a protective case will be a magnet. Not something ye'd just chuck in ye tool tote, is it?

Starrett is probably the premium manufacturer used for industrial applications, but for occasional use a cheaper model should be ok

• Advertisement

Well; It's seriously starting to look like this one could grow legs and definitely end up a benefit to anyone else searching on the subject :)

Today then, I bought a " Faithfull Tools " 3 inch digital vernier. Can't remember and have lost my days receipts (:mad:) but, about 12 to 15? Next one up was twice that and far more tool than I require.

So, now I can accurately measure the pin that I dragged out of my chairs feet. That'll ensure I get the right size on the replacements.

But, all my digging a chubing has shown me that there are some seriously good wheels out there! We don't need to settle for more of the same. I'll be looking for some actual Wheels. Not little, enclosed casters. I may add some chube clips, later. Just settling down to relax, right now. But, I've seen some great things :)

Better yet? It seems like fixing the fact that my chair now slumps down so I'm like a kiddie, reaching up to get at my key board? Easily sorted, for about a score! :D Oh, happy day!!! Seems ye just buy a new 'piston' and pop that in.

I'm pumped! I never dared dream I could do so much for this beaten senseless, yet old fashioned Quality old chair of mine. I've looked at modern stuff. " Leather " so thin and fragile, Kwai Chang Caine couldn't walk on it.

Nice little project then. Restore my faithful old chairs wheels And seat lift. I'll report back here as it goes along. Could be a useful thread ;)

:) This is So cool! I've just sent for a set of wheels. Ably assisted by my little Vernier thing. 11mm studs ;)

I'm also replacing the worn out Gas Lift, so it won't be like I'm sitting on an upturned bucket any more!

Wheels ~ and I Do mean Wheels. Not another load of casters ~ set me back thirty. Nice wheels. And ye can easily pay a lot more :eek:

New gas lift was about a score, I think? I never dreamed we could do This ourselves. I thought, once it goes? That's it. Not a bit of it! I found this super excellent chube of how to measure ye lift. (Guy would hardly set a room on fire with his delivery! But, he shows ye how simple it all is)

And I did what he does. Nothing went wrong! It was Easy!!! :D

So, there we are. Stigura hopes to completely fix his chair. Just gotta wait for the postman to bring me good things now :)

:eek: OMFG, people! Please Do be oh so careful what ye wish for!!!

First though, here's another, excellent chube. This shows ye how to do the swap over with least grief.

I bought These bad boys, off Amazon. My neighbor's just dropped them down to me. Some castors / pins came out without too much trouble. One. at least, was a swine and took herculean efforts with mole grips and a hammer!

But, no matter. My new wheels pretty much popped in. A light tap, here and there, maybe. And Then the fun began! :D

I'm in a century + old family farm cottage. This parlor floor has a Generous slope, running down away from this desk. I'm now considering chocks, or bungee cords! :D

These gorgeous. soft, rubbery wheels are a million light years ahead of those gnarly, Dog hair filled old plastic castors. But, hells teeth! I so much as shift my weight wrong and I'm off! Shooting backwards across the room like a crash test dummy! Dogs scattering in every direction! LOL!

This'll take a bit of getting used to, so. But, yeah; From where I'm now sitting? Absolutely! Don't put up with a missing, or full set of duff old casters. I've put up with utter misery for Far too long now. Twenty five quid and under ten minutes? Hell, yeah!!! :cool:

One Happy Bunny!

Advertisement