Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have Church Services Been Making Use Of Their 27mhz Band During COVID19 Lock Down?

• 16-05-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I know Ireland broadcast their church services through the CB band on 27mhz meaning vicars could still do them broadcasting though radio with nobody attending. Not sure if that's happening. Main stations may too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭turbocab

I know Ireland broadcast their church services through the CB band on 27mhz meaning vicars could still do them broadcasting though radio with nobody attending. Not sure if that's happening. Main stations may too.

they are all on fm,88 to 108,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭TheBMG

turbocab wrote: »
    they are all on fm,88 to 108,

They’re not all on FM. In fact none of them around my area are - they’re all using the CB band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I think most are streaming video on the web these days. Are there actually any churches still operating on 27mhz?

I thought that all stopped years ago.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I think most are streaming video on the web these days. Are there actually any churches still operating on 27mhz?

I thought that all stopped years ago.

Two of my local churches still have the long CB whips up ... unless it’s their direct line to the man above! Could be too much hassle to take them down as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭turbocab

TheBMG wrote: »
    They’re not all on FM. In fact none of them around my area are - they’re all using the CB band.

well here in wexford town,i can pick up 3 church services on fm

• Advertisement

turbocab wrote: »
    well here in wexford town,i can pick up 3 church services on fm

Spoilt for choice!

I’m in Dublin so I’m wondering if FM isn’t used up here as much with the band being so cluttered. May be a bit easier to get a quiet part of the FM dial outside a city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Some are on FM illegally.

Streaming is a much more accessible method of broadcasting compared to the CB band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

TheBMG wrote: »
    Spoilt for choice!

I’m in Dublin so I’m wondering if FM isn’t used up here as much with the band being so cluttered. May be a bit easier to get a quiet part of the FM dial outside a city
    There used to be quite a strong one from Blanchardstown on 88.0 but I haven't heard it in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Antenna

I believe a lot of churches that were using 27MHz are no longer doing so, often if equipment breaks down, and if anyone who needs the service can now use online streaming of services instead.
    There are a number of unsatisfactory issues for church broadcasts on 27MHz, including nowadays increased levels of interference in that part of spectrum in urban homes. One significant source of interference around 27MHz are 'broadband extenders'/PLT that use mains wiring, and if any neighbours use them you can easily receive radiated interference.
    Thanks to lobbying, these devices usually have "notching" to hugely reduce any interference on the nearby amateur 10m band (28-29 MHz), but 27MHz WPAS frequencies for churches, is not protected by them.
    Over the years some churches moved from 27MHz to the fm band, or were FM-band to begin with, especially in the south-east and western counties of Ireland with significant clear space on the band. Fm band use is less encountered elsewhere.
    Killarney Co. Kerry have a UHF system on 467.5000 MHz NFM with special pre-tuned receivers for listeners. It used to use a VHF frequency some years ago.

Advertisement