Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus boasting about 100 flights to bring back PPE from China

Options
  • 17-05-2020 2:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/1261734709991813122

Nothing to be proud of, in my opinion. It just highlights the failure of our own government to provide for the Irish people. How difficult is it to produce a few masks and gloves in Ireland? We're not talking about manufacturing space shuttles. It seems so wasteful and inefficient to rely on an authoritarian regime on the other side of the planet to provide for us. The irony that the same regime is responsible for the coronavirus crisis is the icing on the cake.

Ireland wasn't the only country caught short, of course. End this globalism nonsense and bring manufacturing home. On a tangential note, what does Ireland produce? Pharmaceuticals and computer ships for export? We never had a domestic car market like our European neighbours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

it be class if they started dropping bombs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The thing I don't understand is how a lot of this PPE (if not all of it) is single use?

Can we not make something better quality and launder it? Surely throwing out a gown after its been used once is so wasteful?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

You must have missed the national w@nkfest when Connor McGregor did the same afew weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

coinop wrote: »

Nothing to be proud of, in my opinion. It just highlights the failure of our own government to provide for the Irish people. How difficult is it to produce a few masks and gloves in Ireland? We're not talking about manufacturing space shuttles. It seems so wasteful and inefficient to rely on an authoritarian regime on the other side of the planet to provide for us. The irony that the same regime is responsible for the coronavirus crisis is the icing on the cake.

Ireland wasn't the only country caught short, of course. End this globalism nonsense and bring manufacturing home. On a tangential note, what does Ireland produce? Pharmaceuticals and computer ships for export? We never had a domestic car market like our European neighbours.

Step away from the alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Let's pay Irish wages and costs so that we can complain how expensive PPE is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Glad you are not running our country, my friend.

Wouldn’t last long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

It wasn't made in a lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Yawn

Hope you’re wearing a mask, spreader!

O.P. I don’t think they’re boasting, just marking the achievement, I wouldn’t begrudge it given all the disastrous potentially business-ending figures they’ve had to report of late... don’t be scared of a little positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

How are they only getting 13 tons a flight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Yes excellent idea, we should stop all those flights, increased the spread of the disease and let more people die while we tried to build a PPE manufacturing business from scratch

We produce a lot of idiots, does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Pkiernan wrote: »

It’s not really heavy masks, more bulky so that’s why I would guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

big_1496148706_image.jpg

https://youtu.be/-fC2oke5MFg

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    It’s not really heavy masks, more bulky so that’s why I would guess

They are not freighter aircraft, loaded on the seats and in the holds.

And you are correct, they are bulky rather than weighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

They could have charted 12 747 cargo planes and done the same.

Greta will not be amused.

Some passenger planes are currently being used as Preighters at the moment.
    That means they keep their seats but special containers are put on each seat which can be strapped down to allow safe transport. You then get a passenger plane which is carrying cargo both in the belly and in the cabin.
    Very messy arrangement but the economics currently work and there are not many available cargo planes.
    https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/05/05/lufthansa-coins-preighter-term-for-passenger-cargo-flights/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

NIMAN wrote: »
    The thing I don't understand is how a lot of this PPE (if not all of it) is single use?

Can we not make something better quality and launder it? Surely throwing out a gown after its been used once is so wasteful?

Actually what you don't understand is why you don't understand. Perhaps start with an assumption that people that do understand have thought about it? It makes these discussions much easier.

Throwing out a €5 gown vs €10,000 per DAY for ICU seems an absolute bargain for me. Doctors and Nurses are changing PPE many times a day - between patients at times.

Neither is "washing" as simple as that in medical context.. Right now we don't have that capacity even if we had reusable PPE.

Are 12 747 Freighter planes available for lease today? No?
    Does Aer Lingus have 747 Freighter rated pilots? No?
    Does Covid only affect Ireland and no other country needs to fly PPE from China? No?
    Does Greta care that a keyboard warrior creates a straw man? No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

What does an average mask weight? Complete guess of 5 grams. What about a scub? No idea, maybe 50 grams?

12 tonnes is a lot

Hi Kim, I appreciate your Juche idea that we go back to year zero.

Meanwhile in the real world instead of making low value face masks Ireland is one of the leading manufacturers of Ventilators. You know those things every country is desperate to have? In fact, we are making over 500 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I've decided to take 5 mins out of my Sunday morning to "Splain" this to you.

It just highlights the failure of our own government to provide for the Irish people

The "Gobernmint" provides very well here in Ireland, In terms of spending, Ireland has one of the highest social spending rates in the world relative to our tax intake
    Note also, the government here is elected, by the people. If it's crap, then it's crap peoples fault for electing a crap one.

How difficult is it to produce a few masks and gloves in Ireland?

Very difficult, Irish people don't want low paid manual labour jobs. Keelings had to go abroad to get people to pick strawberries, not because they didn't want to hire Irish people, but because they couldn't find anyone in Ireland to do the work.
    How many Irish people are working in Fastfood chains and clothes shops in Dublin City centre?
    Even building work is shifting, you're more likely to get an Eastern European builder now than an Irish one.

Irish people want to sit in an office, work on a computer and drink coffee. Not work in some dusty factory making masks all day for minimum wage. (and no, we can't get machines to do that work, the cost of the machine would be prohibitive relative to the price of the masks it made.)

End this globalism nonsense and bring manufacturing home. On a tangential note, what does Ireland produce? Pharmaceuticals and computer ships for export? We never had a domestic car market like our European neighbours.

Global trade along with the EU have improved your life significantly, I agree there are many aspects of Globalism that are problematic, but on the whole of it we as westerners have benefited greatly from it.
    we don't have heavy industry here because we never had an industrial revolution, nor do we have large deposits of Iron Ore and other minerals.
    this is the reason we don't make cars.

In terms of what we do produce/export and what it's worth:
    Pharmaceuticals: US$53.5 billion (31.5% of total exports)
    Organic chemicals: $35.6 billion (21%)
    Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $15.2 billion (9%)
    Electrical machinery, equipment: $11.7 billion (6.9%)
    Machinery including computers: $9.8 billion (5.7%)
    Perfumes, cosmetics: $8.8 billion (5.2%)
    Aircraft, spacecraft: $4.6 billion (2.7%)
    Other chemical goods: $4.1 billion (2.4%)
    Meat: $3.5 billion (2.1%)
    Dairy, eggs, honey: $3.4 billion (2%)
    Ireland is ranked #1 in the world for food self sufficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Well done Aer Lingus. Fly high, stay safe, and f*ck the begrudgers.

Could they? Unlikely I feel, and at what cost?

Aer Lingus had the planes- doing nothing.
    Had the pilots doing little, need to keep licenses current
    Would probably operate at more or less operating costs

Seems a win win to me based on limited knowledge.

Shur, you’ll always have the begrudgers moaning about the robbing/unelected/looking after buddies/wasteful/ ya da ya da government.

I've decided to take 5 mins out of my Sunday morning to "Splain" this to you.

It just highlights the failure of our own government to provide for the Irish people

The "Gobernmint" provides very well here in Ireland, In terms of spending, Ireland has one of the highest social spending rates in the world relative to our tax intake
    Note also, the government here is elected, by the people. If it's crap, then it's crap peoples fault for electing a crap one.

How difficult is it to produce a few masks and gloves in Ireland?

Very difficult, Irish people don't want low paid manual labour jobs. Keelings had to go abroad to get people to pick strawberries, not because they didn't want to hire Irish people, but because they couldn't find anyone in Ireland to do the work.
    How many Irish people are working in Fastfood chains and clothes shops in Dublin City centre?
    Even building work is shifting, you're more likely to get an Eastern European builder now than an Irish one.

Irish people want to sit in an office, work on a computer and drink coffee. Not work in some dusty factory making masks all day for minimum wage. (and no, we can't get machines to do that work, the cost of the machine would be prohibitive relative to the price of the masks it made.)

End this globalism nonsense and bring manufacturing home. On a tangential note, what does Ireland produce? Pharmaceuticals and computer ships for export? We never had a domestic car market like our European neighbours.

Global trade along with the EU have improved your life significantly, I agree there are many aspects of Globalism that are problematic, but on the whole of it we as westerners have benefited greatly from it.
    we don't have heavy industry here because we never had an industrial revolution, nor do we have large deposits of Iron Ore and other minerals.
    this is the reason we don't make cars.

Organic chemicals: $35.6 billion (21%)
    Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $15.2 billion (9%)
    Electrical machinery, equipment: $11.7 billion (6.9%)
    Machinery including computers: $9.8 billion (5.7%)
    Perfumes, cosmetics: $8.8 billion (5.2%)
    Aircraft, spacecraft: $4.6 billion (2.7%)
    Other chemical goods: $4.1 billion (2.4%)
    Ireland is ranked #1 in the world for food self sufficiency

Excellent synopsis.
    As an old professor of mine used to say” We need to manufacture more stuff ourselves that others want to buy”

Not being rich in raw materials kind of hindered that, hence our dependence on outside sources.

I’m afraid however you are ploughing stony barren land,here:rolleyes:

Shur, you’ll always have the begrudgers moaning about the robbing/unelected/looking after buddies/wasteful/ ya da ya da government.

You forgot ‘corrupt’ Màire.

That’s usually the stock in trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Interesting to compare these export figures:

The $53 billion pharma figure is massively over stated and misleading.
    Pharma numbers are inflated by transfer pricing for tax purposes.

The real added value is not in Irish based automated manufacture but in
    development and approval of the drugs which is largely done outside Ireland.

Meat/Dairy/Eggs/Honey numbers are obviously reflecting the actual added value of the product.

Pharma employs ~ 40,000.

Food etc employs ~ 140,000

Good points and also even if a fleet of 747s were available, chances are we are now extracting the PPE only as fast as it's being produced. There are more 330's available than in use here so chances are more sorties could be flown if the need arose and / or the supply from China increased

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

China is going to have a field day with all this plastic ppe when we’re done, they’ll up the anti dumping tariff again and the world will have to go and bin all this in a big pile in africa or something.

• Advertisement

China is going to have a field day with all this plastic ppe when we’re done, they’ll up the anti dumping tariff again and the world will have to go and bin all this in a big pile in africa or something.
    Medical waste from hospitals is incinerated, no?

Advertisement