Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saffron

• 17-05-2020 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Is there a shortage of saffron these days? I’ve been looking for it the last few weeks in all the major supermarkets and it has’nt been in stock at all.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't noticed in the main supermarkets, but then it's not something I use. At the moment a lot of the less mainstream products seem to be a bit neglected, maybe because they're trying to keep all the staples well stocked. Our local Tesco has had no vanilla extract at all lately.

You might have better luck in one of the Asian or Halal shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I was looking for some spices last Thursday while doing the shopping, and noticed in Tesco and Supervalu in Wexford both stores had saffron in stock so seems to be no shortage in both of those stores. Still as pricey as ever .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I got in one of the asian shops on parnell street a couple of weeks back. They have it behind the counter. :p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Might well be shortages of it as its not a mainstream product. Had the same with fresh ginger a few weeks back, it wasnt to be found in Aldi, Dunnes or SV in my town for almost 3 weeks before it showed up again.

Ive wondered if it is possible to grow the crocus flowers that produce saffron in an Irish climate. Maybe its possible to do in a sunny window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Might well be shortages of it as its not a mainstream product. Had the same with fresh ginger a few weeks back, it wasnt to be found in Aldi, Dunnes or SV in my town for almost 3 weeks before it showed up again.

Ive wondered if it is possible to grow the crocus flowers that produce saffron in an Irish climate. Maybe its possible to do in a sunny window.

Well, they did grow it in Saffron Waldron in Essex in Tudor times, so I imagine so. One crocus produces 3 stigma, so you will need quite a few bulbs!

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-saffron/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

3 little threads per flower, no wonder the stuff costs a fortune!

Advertisement