Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we get rid of COVID-19?

Options
  • 17-05-2020 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭

Is it possible for Ireland to get rid of the novel coronavirus altogether, in the short term?

We have massively reduced the infection rate, and our daily deaths have almost dropped to single figures

36a531ca3ea95c175da2fcbddc8133528c911cc3.png

But the virus has lingered long than I personally expected in the context of full lockdown. Clearly the virus was able to still reproduce during April, albeit at a much reduced rate. Of course some people ignored the rules, and in the case of things like Traveler funerals the authorities were too afraid to do anything about it.

96774012_2198196103660329_4813270055062077440_n.jpg

Cases in countries like Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia have almost vanished altogether - while the virus is next to entirely eliminated in Pacific countries like Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

Can we achieve the same level of success as these countries, or are we just staving off full infection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Do you realise that for every 1 infection reported, there's likely to be at least another 10 unreported?

This virus will most probably become endemic and we'll learn to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since this virus is a Coronavirus like Middle East Respiratory Syndrome and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome we can see what happened to them.

We can also see what happens to coronaviruses that spread every year causing common cold or pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Is it possible for Ireland to get rid of the novel coronavirus altogether, in the short term?

Can we achieve the same level of success as these countries, or are we just staving off full infection?

It’s possible but it has to be taken seriously, the virus was not native to Ireland it brought in by Irish citizens returning from abroad and foreign tourists visiting. Once you cut off the supply, then with restrictions like a lockdown you can then starve the virus of hosts until you get it under control.

If you have people entering the country and you are just handing them a leaflet advising they should self isolate ...under no circumstances can you trust these people to do that some will but some will not.

You mentioned Australia and NZ, at the start they asked all travellers to self isolate for 14 days...and it was found that some had visited supermarkets, nipped down to the local cafe for a coffee etc, went to the zoo etc then Scott Morrison said that’s it all no more foreigners and any Australian travelers returning are to be bussed straight from airport to a hotel for 14 nights. NZ did the same.

That cut off the supply, nipped it in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

YEs, you can absolutely get rid of it with this. 100% effective so far:

I do not give corona virus or any entities associated with corona virus permission to use my pictures, information, messages or posts, both past and future. With this statement, I give notice to corona virus it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, or take any other action against me based on this profile and/or its contents. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of privacy can be punished by law (UCC 1-308- 1 1 308-103 and the Rome Statute. NOTE: corona virus is now a public entity. All members must post a note like this. If you prefer, you can copy and paste this version. If you do not publish a statement at least once it will be tacitly allowing the use of your photos, as well as the information contained in the profile status updates. CORONA VIRUS DOES NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION TO SHARE PHOTOS OR MESSAGES." The message instructs corona virus users to copy and paste the message on their corona virus page so that users can prevent corona virus from sharing all their content, which supposedly is now becoming publicly available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

14 day quarantine is a waste of time, impossible to enforce

Test them at departures, pcr and antibody test, stamp passport

Only let in countries who sign up for that testing

Talking about NZ and AUS here, here in Ireland we let everyone in

To answer OP question no we can't, not here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It’s going nowhere until we get a vaccine. NZ are the only country that look like they might be able to stamp it out earlier.

Mike3287 wrote: »
    14 day quarantine is a waste of time, impossible to enforce

Test them at departures, pcr and antibody test, stamp passport

Only let in countries who sign up for that testing

Talking about NZ and AUS here, here in Ireland we let everyone in

To answer OP question no we can't, not here

That’s pointless testing at departures, it takes 2-3 days to get enough viral load to get good enough sample. You could get infected in the airport before you get tested and it would be a negative result.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    That’s pointless testing at departures, it takes 2-3 days to get enough viral load to get good enough sample. You could get infected in the airport before you get tested and it would be a negative result.

Pointless trusting people to self isolate too

Pointless trusting people to self isolate too

Exactly, you force them to isolate in a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

not everyone is eligible for testing.

• Advertisement

Exactly, you force them to isolate in a hotel.

Haha that's really realistic

Who's going to force them, 24hr security?

Haha that's really realistic

Who's going to force them, 24hr security?

Ha Ha, no that’s just stupid.

You do what Australia did, posted Armed Navy/Army to guard the hotels.

Ha Ha, no that’s just stupid.

You do what Australia did, posted Armed Navy/Army to guard the hotels.

Will work here I am sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

MadYaker wrote: »
    It’s going nowhere until we get a vaccine. NZ are the only country that look like they might be able to stamp it out earlier.

I don't know.

Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, China, Singapore, Taiwan, Australia all seem to be in good shape to do so. Possibly Myanmar, Mongolia, and Malaysia as well.

Add all those countries' reported deaths together and you get about the same number as have died in the Netherlands

Will work here I am sure

Like I said above, if you take it seriously then can suppress the virus if you just clown around and don’t take it seriously then you just have to live with virus and the consequences.
    "I am also signalling that the requirement for 14 days of quarantine or managed self-isolation in a government-approved facility, will be a prerequisite for anyone entering the country in order to keep the virus out."

The announcement comes after Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters told RNZ this morning travellers would be met at the airport and taken straight to a quarantine facility with military or police possibly involved in the transport.

Mr Peters said the police and military could also be used to give other New Zealanders confidence in the system.
    The federal government will mobilise the military to enforce Australia’s toughest COVID-19 regulations yet.

From midnight on Saturday, all those returning to Australia will be placed in supervised self-isolation, in a hotel or other government-approved facility.

The Australian Army will be deployed across all states and territories, stepping in to assist governments with new measures

Advertisement