Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing switches / sockets

Options
  • 17-05-2020 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭

looking at replacing white sockets / switches with chrome or brushed steel style

where is the best place to purchase from?

3 x single light switch
    5 x Doublw light switch
    2 x triple light switch

Sockets

1 x single socket
    16 x double sockets
    1 x RJ 11
    2 x cooker switches
    2 x 3pin 5amp lamp sockets
    1 x blanking plate
    1 x 4 aerial socket
    2 x twin combo aerial / sat sockets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Just make sure that the replacement switches etc fit your back boxes. From memory, some chrome or brushed steel type fitting require deeper back boxes. And that's a bigger job! But that's from memory - I could be totally wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

tech wrote: »
    looking at replacing white sockets / switches with chrome or brushed steel style

where is the best place to purchase from?

3 x single light switch
    5 x Doublw light switch
    2 x triple light switch

Sockets

1 x single socket
    16 x double sockets
    1 x RJ 11
    2 x cooker switches
    2 x 3pin 5amp lamp sockets
    1 x blanking plate
    1 x 4 aerial socket
    2 x twin combo aerial / sat sockets

I'd fit some usb sockets. Really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

Yes will get a few usb for kitchen also. Twas on my list ðŸ˜႒
    I'd fit some usb sockets. Really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Recently did the same as yourself and purchased from the seller below as couldn't get anything locally with the lockdown

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BG-Nexus-Brushed-Chrome-Polished-Chrome-Switches-Sockets-Full-Range-Satin-Steel-/183186493732?var=&hash=itema0c2d1b2a8&redirect=mobile

No issues at all delivery was quick enough and happy with product

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭shane b

I have chrome plates with black inserts in my kitchen and I found B&Q reasonable funnily with a decent rangr. They were cheaper than the local electrical wholesalers. They are in now about 3 years and no issues. Ordinarily I'd wouldn't recommend B&Q but it may be worth pricing.

• Advertisement

when things opne up again ill have a look !
    not a cheap upgrade with all the switches / sockets!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

shane b wrote: »
    I have chrome plates with black inserts in my kitchen and I found B&Q reasonable funnily with a decent rangr. They were cheaper than the local electrical wholesalers.They are in now about 3 years and no issues. Ordinarily I'd wouldn't recommend B&Q but it may be worth pricing.

Then in my opinion your local wholesalers are ripping you off. I would try electrical wholesalers further afield if I were you.

Where is a good place to start looking, I'll have to get 1 to ensure it fits into back box. I'm hoping the connections arebun same place so no stripping wires

2011 wrote: »
    Then in my opinion your local wholesalers are ripping you off. I would try electrical wholesalers further afield if I were you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tech wrote: »
    Where is a good place to start looking, I'll have to get 1 to ensure it fits into back box. I'm hoping the connections arebun same place so no stripping wires

Personally I would go to:

- Eurosales
    - Kellighers
    - NEW
    - ND Electrical

The first two would be my favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

CEF Electrical have a really nice range, I kitted out practically the whole house in the brushed range and they came in a lot cheaper than the hardware stores like B&Q

• Advertisement

I would be if the view that professionals choose to use electrical wholesalers rather than DIY stores. There are a range of reasons for this which include:

1) Price
    2) Quality
    3) Range

Often DIY enthusiasts that lack the training and experience of professionals don't realize that frequently they are not making like for like comparisons. In my opinion even if a B & Q socket is cheaper than one in the wholesalers the chances are it is of vastly inferior quality or at best it is an exception that does not prove the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    CEF Electrical have a really nice range, I kitted out practically the whole house in the brushed range and they came in a lot cheaper than the hardware stores like B&Q

CEF cheaper than B&Q? Could only be by a euro or two! They're astronomically over priced for a wholesalers! Feel horrible giving them my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

During a renovation here our contractor fitted Schnieder Lisse Screwless Deco sockets. I did the TV points myself and installed the same brand modular faceplates from Eurosales. They don't carry the full range, such as USB charging sockets, but gives you an idea of the range.

https://www.se.com/ww/en/product-range/62628-lisse/

Advertisement