Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another insult reported but allowed stay

Options
  • 17-05-2020 11:01am

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058077845/7

Not only is the term 'creep' insulting but it was very much meant as one. shock, horror, no action despite being reported at the time.

Had I made a comment about that person's education level though and guaranteed yellow card.

There's no consistency guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Are you actually arguing a card or a ban here?

mike_ie wrote: »
    Are you actually arguing a card or a ban here?

I think it's self explanatory in fairness Mike. This user has insulted me and it's been allowed stand, again. I would like the punishments that I recieved to be dealt equally to those that insult me please.

I may be in the wrong section, the mobile version of the sites not as easy to navigate as the full version

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved to Help Desk

Beasty wrote: »
    Moved to Help Desk

Thanks

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058077845/7

Not only is the term 'creep' insulting but it was very much meant as one. shock, horror, no action despite being reported at the time.

I remember the reported post in question, and went back on it just now to check. The thread itself was a fast moving one, and while can't speak for others, but when I personally saw that reported post, the thread had moved on 327 posts further down the line and back into the realm of reasonable discourse. In addition to that, a mod warning had already been posted in direct response to the post you are taking umbrage with, to quit it with the personal insults. The situation had been dealt with, the thread had well and truly moved on.
    Had I made a comment about that person's education level though and guaranteed yellow card.

And now we are getting to the nub of the issue. We aren't discussing some hypothetical "had I" situation here - this is exactly what you did - implied in no uncertain terms that someone was a bit thick - which you were given a yellow card for.

There's never going to be a hard-coded "if a poster uses XXXX term in a post, it's a yellow, YYYY term, it's a red and so on. Mods are always going to be given scope to get a read of the situation as a whole, factor in context, whether it was one sided or if two posters were giving as good as they got, and the mod response (within reason) metered by that.

• Advertisement

I remember the reported post in question, and went back on it just now to check. The thread itself was a fast moving one, and while can't speak for others, but when I personally saw that reported post, the thread had moved on 327 posts further down the line and back into the realm of reasonable discourse. In addition to that, a mod warning had already been posted in direct response to the post you are taking umbrage with, to quit it with the personal insults. The situation had been dealt with, the thread had well and truly moved on.

And now we are getting to the nub of the issue. We aren't discussing some hypothetical "had I" situation here - this is exactly what you did - implied in no uncertain terms that someone was a bit thick - which you were given a yellow card for.

There's never going to be a hard-coded "if a poster uses XXXX term in a post, it's a yellow, YYYY term, it's a red and so on. Mods are always going to be given scope to get a read of the situation as a whole, factor in context, whether it was one sided or if two posters were giving as good as they got, and the mod response (within reason) metered by that.

I understand and I appreciate your volunteers. Been there, won't be there again. With respect however, it's an insult and insults are supposed to be carded. I have bitten my tongue and stayed polite throughout the entire thread for exactly this reason. Now the suggestion is I can throw an insult out provided the thread moves on from it? There's a few I would like to but I haven't and I doubt that's how it would play out if I did.

The mod intervention also doesn't really work because it was one way. I didn't insult that person at all. If others were insulting each other, I missed it.

With respect however, it's an insult and insults are supposed to be carded. I have bitten my tongue and stayed polite throughout the entire thread for exactly this reason.

I would argue that being polite should be the status quo, rather than the fear of a card or ban.
    Now the suggestion is I can throw an insult out provided the thread moves on from it? There's a few I would like to but I haven't and I doubt that's how it would play out if I did.

You're being deliberately obtuse here and you know it. I never suggested that you can throw out an insult and hope that the meter ticks over beyond a certain point. What I said was that in this particular instance, the mods looked at the situation in the context of there already being a later mod warning in the thread, and the thread itself having moved well beyond that point, and considered the matter resolved.

I suspect the bigger sticking point here was that you were recently given a yellow card for your 'hypothetical' situation in your opening post, rather than outrage and offense at the word 'creep'.
    The mod intervention also doesn't really work because it was one way. I didn't insult that person at all. If others were insulting each other, I missed it.

It doesn't work for you because you aren't happy with the mod decision for the reasons outlined above. Mod intervention in-thread works perfectly well the majority of the time, where a post in bold from a mod or admin is enough to get people to cop on and back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I was banned for a week from a thread for no reason made known to me.
    Also some of the posts were remover and the mod said this.

We will only allow a discussion if we agree with what you saying it seems??

I would argue that being polite should be the status quo, rather than the fear of a card or ban.

You're being deliberately obtuse here and you know it. I never suggested that you can throw out an insult and hope that the meter ticks over beyond a certain point. What I said was that in this particular instance, the mods looked at the situation in the context of there already being a later mod warning in the thread, and the thread itself having moved well beyond that point, and considered the matter resolved.

I suspect the bigger sticking point here was that you were recently given a yellow card for your 'hypothetical' situation in your opening post, rather than outrage and offense at the word 'creep'.

It doesn't work for you because you aren't happy with the mod decision for the reasons outlined above. Mod intervention in-thread works perfectly well the majority of the time, where a post in bold from a mod or admin is enough to get people to cop on and back on topic.

Right, so insult stands because... Well because. Next time I'm told "attack the post not the poster" I'll direct that mod to here.

All I asked for was equality in rule enforcement. By the way I have currently been called 'a bare assed liar' twice today and that had been allowed stand too. I am genuinely baffled by the two tier started

I was banned for a week from a thread for no reason made known to me.

The three mod warnings you ignored weren't a bit of a giveaway? :confused:

• Advertisement

Right, so insult stands because... Well because. Next time I'm told "attack the post not the poster" I'll direct that mod to here.

All I asked for was equality in rule enforcement. By the way I have currently been called 'a bare assed liar' twice today and that had been allowed stand too. I am genuinely baffled by the two tier started

The situation was dealt with fairly IMO, as was your yellow card that you seem to be using as the baseline for all other mod actions. The mod called out the poster in question who called you a creep (seriously?) and told them to cop on. As a person who has witnessed your own abrasive posting style on more than one occasion, I can tell you that a few of your posts were given plenty of latitude due to the context of the back and forth that was going on at the time.

Context is important here as is scope for the mod team to use their best judgement when applying a punitive measure, and looking again at your own yellow card, it didn't come from the ether - there was a trend of what can be at best described as condescending posts prior to the one that was issued a yellow card. I doubt you'll be happy with that answer, but not much can be done about that.

The situation was dealt with fairly IMO, as was your yellow card that you seem to be using as the baseline for all other mod actions. The mod called out the poster in question who called you a creep (seriously?) and told them to cop on. As a person who has witnessed your own abrasive posting style on more than one occasion, I can tell you that a few of your posts were given plenty of latitude due to the context of the back and forth that was going on at the time.

Context is important here as is scope for the mod team to use their best judgement when applying a punitive measure, and looking again at your own yellow card, it didn't come from the ether - there was a trend of what can be at best described as condescending posts prior to the one that was issued a yellow card. I doubt you'll be happy with that answer, but not much can be done about that.

What's the 'seriously' for? If it not an insult? You see that's the issue. You don't like my style and therefore things slide. I have 100% stayed within the rules so there's been nothing sliding for me.

I don't mind being insulted if I'm allowed respond but I'm positive that it would result in mod intervention if I did.

Anyway, you with change and I done you ever do to be honest.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just a general point, particularly for anyone who has posted in this thread but that post remains unapproved

The starting point for any enquiry like the one in the OP is to PM a forum mod to enquire why a particular post was not actioned, if you feel strongly about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement