Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid and Obesity

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What weight is considered overweight now, I thought size 12 to 14 was good but now that is seen as overweight

Covid is attacking healthy thin young individuals too

It depends on a number of factors. I'm 155cm. My BMI is 21-22, my body fat levels 20-21, I wear a 4-8 depending on manufacturer. If I fit in an average current size 10 pair of jeans I'm overweight. In a size 14, I'd be obese.

That said, I'm into month 3 of the after effects of a suspected Covid infection and I reckon that if I hadn't been so fit I'd have been better weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Cobalt17 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we’re living in times where plus-sized people are living in the same world black people where living in during Jim Crow laws.

Obesity is the leading cause of four types of cancers and a risk factor in about eleven others.
    It can also lead to type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, hypertension, osteoarthritis and more.

But yeah, equate the plight of the plus sized to racial segregation laws, that makes sense.

Fat shaming is a disgusting and reprehensible thing to do, but we do need to have a conversation, as a society, about the rise in obesity and its dangers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be quite heavy myself (though thankfully I'm still relatively fit-ish) but jesus christ, when you read some of the posts on here, you can see why no one in Ireland talks about mental health.
    Not this again. These days it seems you can't avoid hearing about mental health. It's rolled out for every damned thing as a reason, never mind the media types who can't shut up about it. Ireland and a few other western nations are apparently a bunch of neurotics.
    Agreed, people need to acknowledge that fatism is real, and should be punishable by law. Unfortunately, we’re living in times where plus-sized people are living in the same world black people where living in during Jim Crow laws.
    Fatism. Sufferin' Jesus. And then you compound it by comparing the overweight to the struggles of African Americans? So if you're fat you're more likely to be lynched, refused service, live in slums, thrown in gaol, beaten up, have dogs set on you? FFS. :rolleyes:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Large people can’t really walk in public because of attitudes towards them so you need the money and space for home walking equipment. And anyway, walking when you’re not going anywhere is a pain in the hole.

Anyway, the virus is already here to it’s basically too late for anyone to be starting now. If you’d a couple of years heads up it was coming then maybe.

If you eat to the point where you take on the dimensions of a large flightless bird don't be surprised if you're ostrich-sized in your own community.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Wibbs wrote: »

Fatism. Sufferin' Jesus. And then you compound it by comparing the overweight to the struggles of African Americans? So if you're fat you're more likely to be lynched, refused service, live in slums, thrown in gaol, beaten up, have dogs set on you? FFS. :rolleyes:

It's a spoof comment surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Unfortunately, we’re living in times where plus-sized people are living in the same world black people where living in during Jim Crow laws.

When anyone types 'false equivalence' into google this comment should be the no1 match.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

If you’ve lost weight by not exercising then you’re smaller but not necessarily all that healthier.

I think a healthier diet would have an impact on someone's health

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭kg703

Sad that we don’t learn from our mistakes.

This HAS to be a joke :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

When anyone types 'false equivalence' into google this comment should be the no1 match.

I think you need your 'whoosh' detector adjusted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Agreed, people need to acknowledge that fatism is real, and should be punishable by law. Unfortunately, we’re living in times where plus-sized people are living in the same world black people where living in during Jim Crow laws.

Sad that we don’t learn from our mistakes.

Nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Cobalt17

kg703 wrote: »
    This HAS to be a joke :O

It’s that kind of flippant attitude which dehumanises plus-sized people. I suggest you educate yourself on the topic.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not this again. These days it seems you can't avoid hearing about mental health. It's rolled out for every damned thing as a reason, never mind the media types who can't shut up about it. Ireland and a few other western nations are apparently a bunch of neurotics.

Mental Health is definitely over-used as a reason/excuse for many things. Weight, in my opinion, is directly affected to mental health, though.

People who are of sound mind, mentally stable and secure, don't sit around the house all day, never going out, binge eating. And this is exactly what you have to do to gain substantial weight.

Your attitude of rolling your eyes at someone mentioning mental health is shoddy, by the way. Things affect people differently. I can honestly say I have no issue with being house-bound for the whole covid period. But I don't knock others who claim it'll affect their mental health, as I've no idea what's going on in their lives.

Obviously I can only speak for myself, but I'll admit that i rarely go out because I am extremely conscious of my weight. It's definitely a mental health issue for me, personally.

pawdee wrote: »
    If you eat to the point where you take on the dimensions of a large flightless bird don't be surprised if you're ostrich-sized in your own community.

You’ve hit the nail on the head there but by proving many people’s points rather than the way you think you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

You’ve hit the nail on the head there but by proving many people’s points rather than the way you think you have.

You need to stop trying to play the victim. Work on self improvement

Mental Health is definitely over-used as a reason/excuse for many things. Weight, in my opinion, is directly affected to mental health, though.

People who are of sound mind, mentally stable and secure, don't sit around the house all day, never going out, binge eating. And this is exactly what you have to do to gain substantial weight.

Can't say I agree with this. Weight is gained by taking in more calories than you burn.
    With people's lifestyles become more sedentary and more over processed calorically dense foods available it's easy to think you've eaten a 'normal' amount of food during a day, but actually you're in a surplus of a couple of hundred calories.
    Do this every day over the course of a few years and you will gradually put on a significant amount of weight - possibly without even noticing.

wadacrack wrote: »
    You need to stop trying to play the victim. Work on self improvement

Not with people like that slithering around. They are one of the biggest blocks to what they preach.

Mad_Dave wrote: »
    possibly without even noticing.

Trust me, no one gains a significant amount of weight without even noticing.

Trust me, no one gains a significant amount of weight without even noticing.

I meant they might not notice the severity of what's happening due to the gradual nature of the change - also depends on the time frame and the amount of weight.
    I know from experience that I wasn't aware when I discovered my BMI was just shy of the obese catagory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I have a SIL who is morbidity obsese, her excuses and lack of self awareness is impressive tbh.
    Despite knowing the health implications even before Covid her ability to find reasons not to address her weight would try the patience of a saint. I concluded she is just a lazy waste of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

You only need to look at the photographs of the NHS staff who've sadly died from coronavirus, to see the risk to people who are overweight.

However, it's now taboo to name it; smokers are fair game (rightly so), but point out that obesity is a risk factor in an equally long list of diseases; it's body-shaming. It's bonkers. Instead of shouting stop, we now have fat mannequins in boutique windows, while the scrawny heroin-chic models of the '90's caused uproar. The big-bottom line is money, and fashion doesn't care what size you are, as long as the wheels keep turning (€€€€), so eat up everyone, big is beautiful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

You only need to look at the photographs of the NHS staff who've sadly died from coronavirus, to see the risk to people who are overweight.

However, it's now taboo to name it; smokers are fair game (rightly so), but point out that obesity is a risk factor in an equally long list of diseases; it's body-shaming. It's bonkers. Instead of shouting stop, we now have fat mannequins in boutique windows, while the scrawny heroin-chic models of the '90's caused uproar. The big-bottom line is money, and fashion doesn't care what size you are, as long as the wheels keep turning (€€€€), so eat up everyone, big is beautiful!

Body positivity and fat acceptance, straight up marketing dressed up as something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Mad_Dave wrote: »
    I meant they might not notice the severity of what's happening due to the gradual nature of the change - also depends on the time frame and the amount of weight.
    I know from experience that I wasn't aware when I discovered my BMI was just shy of the obese catagory.

Let’s be honest, most morbidly obese people have dedicated their lives to eating and most of their day revolves around food. When they come home from work they generally gorge themselves on utter crap all evening. It’s a small percentage that differ from this.

jackboy wrote: »
    Let’s be honest, most morbidly obese people have dedicated their lives to eating and most of their day revolves around food. When they come home from work they generally gorge themselves on utter crap all evening. It’s a small percentage that differ from this.

I think it's more like a vicious cycle - the more you weigh the higher your resting metabolic rate, the more you eat to feel full. If your nutrition isn't very good the more weight you gain.

Round and round until you're morbidly obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

I always have to laugh when someone is like a wandering hippopotamus and says "I have a slow metabolism and medical issues".

The reason you look that way is because you stuff your face and do no exercise.

I am prone to putting weight on very easily. I am a big guy, build wise weighing in at almost 18stone, BUT I walk everyday, swim when possible, exercise every single morning 7 days a week and try as best I can to eat only twice a day. I do NOT count calories, I do not veg out in front of the TV every night.

I can say that most people who are fat are that way simply because they are too lazy to take control of their bodies.

I used to be very heavy, yes I was lazy and in a rut, but changed when I saw how much sitting around I was doing after a walk with the kids.

Anyone can change their shape for the better, all they need is the will power and the drive to change. That doesn't mean exercising for 15 minutes then phoning domino's for a large cheese and chicken tenders combo box.

With this COVID-19 lockdown I have tried to keep up the walking with a Treadmill. It has not been easy for me, but it still does the trick. People literally sitting at home still have the options of floor exercises like push ups, planks, star jumps, sit-ups and squats to sort themselves out. OK aerobically it may be more difficult, BUT where there is a will there is a way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

What a thread.

People who are overweight know that they're overweight. You don't have to tell a black person they're black. You don't need to tell a blonde woman she's blonde. They know. It's already something they're aware of.

I'd be quite heavy myself (though thankfully I'm still relatively fit-ish) but jesus christ, when you read some of the posts on here, you can see why no one in Ireland talks about mental health. Literally ridiculing people for their weight, even though it's been long since accepted that the physical side of it is rarely why people gain substantial weight, and it's almost always directly related to mental issues or difficult prolonged life situations (hence "comfort" eating).

Have any of ye considered signing up to The Samaritans? You seem like naturals. :rolleyes:

Heavy but fit-ish, hahaha hahaha.
    I'd say you haven't seen your mickey in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Portmanteau

It has made me give up bread and beer and other foods high in yeast - and the difference is phenomenal. So much more energy, drastic reduction in stomach and sinus problems, no more aching joints.

From reading your previous posts (which start with asking how to sort your 'beer gut'), you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about other people's weight.

Almost every post is about running (guess what, by the way, I can run too! Imagine that. Although I stopped when I got to being able to do 20km as I found it boring). You must be one of those people that other's try to avoid conversation with, but pretend to your face that they actually don't mind meeting up with you at all.

You make all runners look like a tit when you write a post that could be mistaken as one done by a 6 year old in crayon.

It has made me give up bread and beer and other foods high in yeast - and the difference is phenomenal. So much more energy, drastic reduction in stomach and sinus problems, no more aching joints.

No bread and no beer would be no life at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Every now and then a thread appears on boards which allows us to see how many utterly-perfect-in-every-way people post here. This is one of them. One poster described his obese SIL as a waste of oxygen, just because she’s obese, no other reason, and 13 others liked the post. Perfect perfect people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭riddles

why not load on risk onto health insurance / life insurance premiums to reflect the increased risk similar to smoking? Once a year free medical that gives you a health rating risk and also Clearly outlines what you need to do as a program to get back on track.

More people now die from Obesity than smoking so why not address it in a similar way emphasising your personal responsibility here as is the basis of the no smoking campaign.

Why do airlines charge a premium for over luggage but not people?

It may horrify the PC brigade I suppose.

Advertisement