Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rescuing a dog following surrendering a previous one for reasons I couldnt control

• 17-05-2020 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭

Ok basically the background, I surrendered a dog a while ago as he was constantly jumping over the wall and the extra fence put up to heighten the wall. I had the dog since he was a puppy and loved him to bits, but he was from the word go an escape artist and despite thathe was the bestest boy and we loved hime to bits. Anyhows I surrendered him to a rescue after trying everything I could and he is getting on great with his new family.

My kids asked me can we get another dog. I said we might get 2 so they have company when we arent here and are small so cannot jump walls.

Would a rescue let me rescue a dog after surrendering one for reasons beyond my control?

I am nervous asking in case I get abuse but here it goes.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

khalessi wrote: »
    Ok basically the background, I surrendered a dog a while ago as he was constantly jumping over the wall and the extra fence put up to heighten the wall. I had the dog since he was a puppy and loved him to bits, but he was from the word go an escape artist and despite thathe was the bestest boy and we loved hime to bits. Anyhows I surrendered him to a rescue after trying everything I could and he is getting on great with his new family.

My kids asked me can we get another dog. I said we might get 2 so they have company when we arent here and are small so cannot jump walls.

Would a rescue let me rescue a dog after surrendering one for reasons beyond my control?

I am nervous asking in case I get abuse but here it goes.
    Thanks

All you can do is be honest with any rescue you approach. It will depend on the dog(s) and the rescue. IMO, if the reason you surrendered your past dog isn’t at least an indication that you chose to give him a chance at a better life than you could at the time and didn’t resort to punitive training measures or sent him to be euthanised, then you did the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Rehoming a dog doesn't automatically make you a bad person. You learnt from your experience and are hoping for a dog that is better suited to your situation. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to bring a new dog into your home.

Just be honest about what happened. It's not like you're trying to trade a dog for something younger/cuter because you got bored of the old one.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The main things rescues look at are is there someone home a lot of the time, is your garden secure, is the dog suitable for your family.
    There's been a huge amount of puppies brought in the shutdown, I'm guessing that sadly in the next few months some will be showing up in rescues if they aren't already.

Advertisement