Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refunded School voluntary contribution because of Covid19 closures

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

anewme wrote: »
    Probably one ouf the nastiest posts I've read on boards in a while. Begrudging a worker heating, toilet roll, furniture to do their job and somewhere to have their lunch.

Reads like something out of Oliver Twist. That people should beg for working conditions.

The real reasons for Op starting two threads are summed up in that one post.

One of those people who thinks their tax pays for EVERYTHING....

Wait until he hears about the state of the health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

No I will most certainly not ask for a refund given the expenses that might be ahead for our school.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Scruff101 wrote: »
    No I will most certainly not ask for a refund given the expenses that might be ahead for our school.
    You’re not doing this right. More indignant outrage please. And if you could remind us that you pay our wages, that’d really help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

anewme wrote: »
    Probably one ouf the nastiest posts I've read on boards in a while. Begrudging a worker heating, toilet roll, furniture to do their job and somewhere to have their lunch.

Reads like something out of Oliver Twist. That people should beg for working conditions.

The real reasons for Op starting two threads are summed up in that one post.

One of those people who thinks their tax pays for EVERYTHING....

Whats nasty about it? Did you even read the post it was replying to?
    The poster said they get nothing from the parents. They do. No point trying to say they dont. So I pointed just a few things that seem to forget that they receive form the parents of the children.
    Or do they not get anything, like the poster said?
    anewme wrote:
    Originally Posted by rainbowtrout viewpost.gif
    We pay for our own tea and biscuits. Nothing is supplied. As for the rest......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I can't believe they still get away with calling this a voluntary contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lux23 wrote: »
    I can't believe they still get away with calling this a voluntary contribution.

I was reading a paper on the ESRI research & one of its contributors from maynooth university was openly discussing in their data and classifications ‘ free’ schools with ‘voluntary contributions’ that were in fact compulsorary! If the doctors and professors doing research for state research bodies like the ESRI are openly referring to thus casual contradiction in their classifications perhaps it is time to do some ‘independent’ research on adaquet funding levels for ‘free’schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭tscul32

My kids primary has a junior and a senior school. The voluntary contribution for the junior end is €50 per family - they get it from about 40% of the families. The senior end doesn't look for one. So just because they ask for it doesn't mean they get it.
    I wouldn't personally look for a refund of any payments but if you pay a photocopying/arts and crafts supplies figure then that could be reduced in September as there should be plenty left over from the current school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

To the OP, schools were open from the start of September until the 12th of March and closed from the 13th of March to the end of June, that's 6.5/3.5. Why would you think getting 50% back was right and proper? Do you not think that if the school has money left in the coffers that it's likely they will spend it on something that is needed in the school that they might otherwise not have been able to afford such as additional/ replacement readers or library books, maybe a new coat of paint in some classrooms, new assessment materials etc. We have signed up to an online system to allow for more admin to be done remotely. It cost about €1,500, an expense that we wouldn't have had any other year but which will have to be factored in this year.

To the poster above who says there should be plenty of art/craft materials left, most teachers will tell you the money runs out well before the end of the year so this may just be the year that the teacher isn't dipping into their own pocket to pay for materials. Our art and craft charge hasn't increased in well over 10 years. Just think of how much the cost of thing has gone up in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How much is the voluntary contribution? I remember it was around 20 euro in the mid 90s, where is it at now

My Son's secondary is €400, TY is €500.
    No small chunk of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I remember during the heady days of the celtic tiger the primary school I went to sent a letter to all their past pupils looking for donations for some extension they were building or goodies to fill said extension with. On the letter it stated

No donations under €250 will be accepted.

The utter cheek of the fcukers

I get a letter like that from UCD every year. smile.png

That's very cheeky in fairness. 250 quid is a bit of an unrealistic amount to ask from a UCD graduate. That's more than a weeks dole for most of them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

nthclare wrote: »
    Maybe if teacher's engaged in Summer camp's over the summer and do biodiversity and conservation projects like a one week environmental course for the kid's who are interested in that kind of thing.

Then get their two weeks holidays like everyone else.

Isn't that a good idea ???

Good idea this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

If the government funded education properly then this would not be an issue.

Time to scrap child benefit and put that money into the education sector. Making sure schools don't have to go round begging parents for "voluntary contributions" to keep the lights on.

Advertisement