Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a quote for an application.

Options
  • 17-05-2020 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Is there a website to get a quote for someone to build me an application?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

Yes. It's called Upwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Ok. Moving on for that. I have quotes and have looked at resumes. How can I be sure any are up to the task of creating the application fully and on time? Should I ask for a demonstration? Is that a done thing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Ok. Moving on for that. I have quotes and have looked at resumes. How can I be sure any are up to the task of creating the application fully and on time? Should I ask for a demonstration? Is that a done thing?

Write an detail specification of what your application will and define a set of tests that proves to you the application meets specification. Discuss these in advance with the developer and make payment based on the application passing your tests as agreed. If you need to add to the specification or the tests as the project progresses expect to pay more and for the project to take longer. The developer may want intermediate payment milestones, where you pay a certain amount based on level of functionality reached. Again, I'd tend to define tests for this in advance of the work starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭kirving

Just a point to note. I'm not a software developer, but I work among a big team of in-house devs, most of whom are excellent.

I often need them to develop specific tools for me to complete my work. All I can really say is that you should be as specific as possible in your requirements, and in particular what do do in the case of any errors that you could envisage occurring.

If you're not specific enough, you'll hear an identical answer from a good and bad dev - "No problem, we can do that", and you end up with wildly different results.

Good guys of course will push for as much detail as they need, but it's very difficult for in you situation going in blind, to sort the wheat from the chaff. I work with guys who are practically finishing my sentences when I request something, are very familiar with what we need, and include features that they know I'd like, as a matter of course without even being asked.

You could be lucky and find someone who needs minimum direction, a produces a great result. Equally, the not-so-great guy could fulfil your basic requirements with the minimum of effort, but you end up with something more error prone and less scalable in future.

Even if you're not on the right path, or unsure how to spec a software application, the good guys will be more than happy to work with you on it, in an effort to optimise and lead you on the right path - without cutting features.

At minimum, I think you should be expecting a block diagram/flowchart of how they expect the application to function, a sample of inputs/outputs listed, and some examples of their previous work.

What is is that you're looking for the application to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

You should check the contractor's feedback from previous work they've done. Does the contractor have experience building the type of app you want? Even when you've done this, you should still follow the guidelines given by the poster above i.e. spend most of your time defining clearly what you want in a specification sheet, set milestones during the development process and pay only when the milestones are delivered. As a rule, don't operate outside of Upwork or similar service because the Contractor is bound by the service terms and conditions and fear of loss of reputation should things go bad. And things can go bad.

• Advertisement

At minimum, I think you should be expecting a block diagram/flowchart of how they expect the application to function, a sample of inputs/outputs listed, and some examples of their previous work.
    Yes. One delepoper has been right on that without being asked.

What is is that you're looking for the application to do?
    It's to have a rolling, constantly updating list of users that are online. Similar to Telegram. I'm just worried it will be the first time for some of them doing that.

smacl wrote: »
    Write an detail specification of what your application will and define a set of tests that proves to you the application meets specification. Discuss these in advance with the developer and make payment based on the application passing your tests as agreed. If you need to add to the specification or the tests as the project progresses expect to pay more and for the project to take longer. The developer may want intermediate payment milestones, where you pay a certain amount based on level of functionality reached. Again, I'd tend to define tests for this in advance of the work starting out.

Thanks for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Smiles35 wrote: »
    It's to have a rolling, constantly updating list.

Consider asking for a websockets app rather than a page auto-refreshing app. Not much more effort but it will be like gmail where screen is constantly updating without flicker... just might be nice.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement