If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDR10+ and Sony STR-DN1080 Receiver

Options
  • 17-05-2020 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I got the Sony STR-DN1080 receiver a little while back, and now while looking for an OLED TV, I have a couple of questions about HDR10+.

- It seems this receiver is not HDR10+ compatible (from googling), so is this something that could be a firmware update in the future? Or is it more of a hardware issue?

- If a receiver is Dolby Vision and/or HDR 10+ compatible, does that mean the TV also needs to be compatible in order to take advantage of these formats? Or is it enough that the receiver is compatible and the TV part is dumb.

- If my STR-DN1080 is not HDR10+ compatible, would a solution be to use Firestick and other HDMI inputs to go directly into the a TV that is HDR10+ compatible instead? and use an optical cable to send the sound to the receiver. An not use any of the HDMI inputs on the receiver.

Thanks, Tim

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

timmykgb70 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got the Sony STR-DN1080 receiver a little while back, and now while looking for an OLED TV, I have a couple of questions about HDR10+.

- It seems this receiver is not HDR10+ compatible (from googling), so is this something that could be a firmware update in the future? Or is it more of a hardware issue?

- If a receiver is Dolby Vision and/or HDR 10+ compatible, does that mean the TV also needs to be compatible in order to take advantage of these formats? Or is it enough that the receiver is compatible and the TV part is dumb.

- If my STR-DN1080 is not HDR10+ compatible, would a solution be to use Firestick and other HDMI inputs to go directly into the a TV that is HDR10+ compatible instead? and use an optical cable to send the sound to the receiver. An not use any of the HDMI inputs on the receiver.

Thanks, Tim
    Hi timmykgb70,

Thanks for the post!

I haven't heard anything about an upgrade for HDR10+ on the STRDN1080. Usually the compatibility of a particular format of HDR is down to a licencing issue (for example Samsungs will not run Dolby Vision on their screens). If you have content in Dolby Vision or HDR10+ both receiver and the TV would need to be compatible to display it. If the TV accepts both but the Receiver does not the best thing to do would be to run the sources directly into the TV and run the sound via HDMI ARC. If the TV doesn't display Dolby Vision or HDR10+ it will still show the content but only display it in standard HDR, it would not be optimised for the particular format.

I hope you have found this info helpful and if you need any further info please do not hesitate to drop e a post!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.