Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance - Unclear on why you would select "Public" hospital?

• 17-05-2020 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking into getting Health Insurance for myself (single male over 26, no dependents) and checked www.hia.ie.

I set all options in the search filter to default (except Room Type = Semi-private), and switched between "Hospital Type" of Private and Public

This gives me two results which are the cheapest...

Laya Assure Protect ... "Public" hospital

Laya Precision 600 Connect ... "Private" hospital (approx €230 more)

From what I can tell they have all the same results apart from one allowing you to go to a private hospital.

Here's where I'm confused... why would you buy health insurance for the "Public" hospital since you can get it free anyway?

What extra do you get having Public hospital health insurance that you wouldn't get just going under the public system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

OK so just generally faster? I recall having an operation on my arm done in Beaumont a few years ago and it only cost me the initial hospital entry fee (€100 I think?). Had a semi-private room and all follow-up consultation was included for free as well.

The main downside was the waiting time alright, but everything else provided appeared to be what the health insurance offers.

Also the stitching on my arm wasn't great and left a nasty scar :)

What would the benefit be of going to a private hospital for the same procedure? Similar low waiting times, maybe better stitching?
    Are the consultants better in private hospitals?

mrcheez wrote: »

Here's where I'm confused... why would you buy health insurance for the "Public" hospital since you can get it free anyway?

What extra do you get having Public hospital health insurance that you wouldn't get just going under the public system?

There are cases where you'd be far progressed in your illness by the time you'd see a consultant if you didn't have health insurance

Private cover with public only hospitals is a queue jumping insurance policy.

I've selected personal health insurance which opts for private hospitals.

If a public hospital can treat sooner though I'll go to that hospital. I make no distinction between a public nurse or private nurse in the street / talking to them.

Public medical staff are overworked though. Nothing has changed for them since these ads run in 2003 "I've had enough".

Also OP, we are that country where everybody wants to have the best services, but still pay no taxes.

And selecting private cover with private hospital essentially gives you better consultants?
    (I'm assuming no and that consultants in both public and private are equally qualified)

Or just even lower waiting times since you can select to go to either?

If they give better non-scarring stitches the next time I fall off my bike I'll go private ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement