Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revamp of tired front garden

Options
  • 17-05-2020 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a small front garden which is in need of a revamp - picture attached.

Its on a slope and curved so I estimate the total space is 39 Msq.

The plan is to add a piece of artificial grass approximately 5*4 Msq with curved edging which would reduce it to 17Msq

Then edge the grass with setts and then border 22 msq with shrubs and decorate stone.

The soil is pretty dense and then don about 15 CM its almost like hardcore.

As I have remove a layer of grass and soil for the artificial grass I was wondering if I should get a mini digger and dig out the border area with that as well and get in a load of decent soil and replace it.

If so for 22 M sq how much top soil would I need to take out?
    Also for sized area how much decorative stone would I need to get?
    Would a roller okay as an alternative to the whacker plate.

For the artificial grass I was going to dig down about 10CM and remove this layer.
    How much hardcore and sand would be needed the grass area would be 17-20 sq metre.
    Does it need a shock absorber layer? Also does it need to be infilled with sand and framed in 2*4 wood?

I was looking at sanctuary real grass https://shop.sanctuarysynthetics.ie/product/sanctuary-real/ 35€ a sq m.

I was hoping to get a 4 msq width to prevent joins. If you can recommend a similar effect grass at a similar standard I would appreciate it.

thanks
    R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

As a rough guide. 1 ton of sand/gravel etc. Will cover 10m2@ a thickness of 2 inches. For artificial grass you need timber edging go fix grass onto. So dig out area . Minidigger. Place in timbers. Backfill with sub base. 2 inches. Compact with wicker. Then 2 inches of sand or dust. Compact. Screed with a straight edge. Should be like a snooker table now. Lay grass on top. Fix onto boards. Trim to exact shape. Have a beer then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

If you were taking off a layer of soil of an existing lawn to prepare for a roll out lawn, how much would you need to remove? Would you need to rotovate the soil before laying the new turf Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

riddles wrote: »
    If you were taking off a layer of soil of an existing lawn to prepare for a roll out lawn, how much would you need to remove? Would you need to rotovate the soil before laying the new turf Thx
    Ideally spray area to remove any weeds/grass. Rotovate to a depth of about 4-6inches. The better its rotovate the easier it is to get level and prepare for roll out grass. Dep on soil you shouldn't have to remove any. If soil is very rough you can buy screened soil and a thin layer of this on top helps. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a roll out turf supplier, decorative stone and top soil supplier for the midlands area mountmellick?

Also for a shrub bed is there benefit to using mulch v decorative stone for a bed?

Thanks

R

Advertisement