Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sheep shearing FRS

• 17-05-2020 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

keep a handful of sheep here in a small field surrounding the house , bought lambs last summer and they need shearing

was just wondering if the farm relief service provide this service ?

asked a local to do it who apparently shears but he has let me down three times so far

dont mind paying a good bit per head as i only have ten hoggets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    keep a handful of sheep here in a small field surrounding the house , bought lambs last summer and they need shearing

asked a local to do it who apparently shears but he has let me down three times so far

Find a lad local to you with sheep, ask when they are shearing and could you bring yours over to be done after his...

Lad over the road from me brings his 10 or 12 ewes over to our place when we’re shearing and they got shorn here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Whereabouts are you someone here might know of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

gazahayes wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you someone here might know of one.

Just out of interest, what's the going rate?
    We pay 3 euros per sheep but cutting back on numbers so probably get cheaper for more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Shearers are flat out at the moment, they're unlikely to want to set up for a small number, as above bring them to farmers yard when they're shearing.

jfh wrote: »
    We pay 3 euros per sheep but cutting back on numbers so probably get cheaper for more

€2.50

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    €2.50

We were paying that when using a crowd from kerry that moved around the country shearing, but now it's a local lad who tips away between farming himself.
    Wrangler, did you shear yourself or get someone in?

We were paying that when using a crowd from kerry that moved around the country shearing, but now it's a local lad who tips away between farming himself.
    Wrangler, did you shear yourself or get someone in?

I used to shear for hire, my nephew does mine now, he makes great money at it.
    I think 2.50 is his price, it isn't just for me, he'd do a steady 30/hr
    I don't think there's many foreigners in this year, The irish shearers will have it all to themselves

2euro here - but you catch and turn em for the shearer...

I just have to fill his pen, being an ex shearer myself i like to make things easy for him, sheep could be in 12 -24 hrs so they're well emptied out, pen is kept full so they practically fall out of the pen on to the board when he opens the door.
    His best day here was 330 sheep shorn, 8am - 8pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

think i got someone , cheers for the answers

• Advertisement

I just have to fill his pen, being an ex shearer myself i like to make things easy for him, sheep could be in 12 -24 hrs so they're well emptied out, pen is kept full so they practically fall out of the pen on to the board when he opens the door.
    His best day here was 330 sheep shorn, 8am - 8pm

To be honest we wouldn't have super facilities here Wrangler - so there would be a certain element of dragging before turning... :(
    Its ok for the number we have, but you couldn't manage with large numbers...

330 sheep, you'd sleep after that... Good money for a days work, but no doubt its hard earned...

To be honest we wouldn't have super facilities here Wrangler - so there would be a certain element of dragging before turning... :(
    Its ok for the number we have, but you couldn't manage with large numbers...

330 sheep, you'd sleep after that... Good money for a days work, but no doubt its hard earned...

The shearer brings the pen, I put it at the race, our ewes fly up the race and into his pen he's well equipped, even brings a frame to hang the woolpack.
    Even I was knackered after the 330 and I only taking away the wool and filling the pen. He seems to be able to take the ewes out of the pen backwards by twisting their neck and with a final twist get them sitting on the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Sounds like he has it down to a fine art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Sounds like he has it down to a fine art.
    It's poetry in motion seeing a guy handle sheep properly. It's the very opposite when not done the right way. I was stuck for a shearer a few years back as my lad injured himself and I got a crew off the done deal. It was getting late in the year and had little choice but to get them. I had to give them lessons how to handle sheep and had a few choice words with them.

You can spot a lad a mile off if he is used to sheep.

kk.man wrote: »
    It's poetry in motion seeing a guy handle sheep properly. It's the very opposite when not done the right way. I was stuck for a shearer a few years back as my lad injured himself and I got a crew off the done deal. It was getting late in the year and had little choice but to get them. I had to give them lessons how to handle sheep and had a few choice words with them.

You can spot a lad a mile off if he is used to sheep.

The last year I sheared for hire I wrecked my back only a week into the season,
    I was so lucky, within a couple days a girl, an english shearer, saw my sheep and came into the yard looking for the shearing of my sheepp, I rented her my equipment, a shearing trailer with two stands and she got an australian guy to join her and they looked after my customers.
    She was only about ten stone, but she'd shear most of the rams such was her technique in handling them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I’ve to pay €3 and extra for help. That’s with a shearing trailer

I’ve to pay €3 and extra for help. That’s with a shearing trailer

Yea, the trailer is great, but you'd need help if two shearers are shearing. my shearer usually has another shearer but not here, I shear in august, main season is over and the pressure is off so he's happy to shear on his own here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Yea, the trailer is great, but you'd need help if two shearers are shearing. my shearer usually has another shearer but not here, I shear in august, main season is over and the pressure is off so he's happy to shear on his own here

Shearer normally comes here with a second...the first time he landed with a third we didnt have time to wipe

I catch & turn over for 3, getting robbed I think

To make matters worse had to give the fleeces away for zilch, 55 fleeces, got nothing for them. The wool merchant told my father he was doing him a favour taking them of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

We shear in February Just after scanning here. 3 lads with a trailer. It’s a job keeping sheep to them but he only charges me €2. He gets the winter shearing of a lot of lambs from us so charges €1 for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

got the sheep sheared a few days ago

80 euro for nine , cant argue with that , a vet would charge near that for driving out to look at a sheep

Advertisement