Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - Lassykk - The Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

In 6th place it's y0ssar1an22 with Jimmy Page - Stairway to Heaven

I struggled to place this as it's an amazing piece of music and it feels wrong to have it so low but some of the other songs offered up were just right in my wheelhouse

In 11th place it's Tusk with Metallica - To Live is To Die

Despite being a bit Metallica fan I think this track was waiting for some lyrics to kick - brilliant music but didn't hit the right note for me (see what I did there) ;)

In 5th place it's cj maxx with Theme from The Mission - Ennui Moricone

Very famous piece that I didn't know the name of so really glad to have it nominated - really enjoyable - Not as high paced a tempo as I like but a really relaxing tune nonetheless

In 12th place it's Rothko with Gnossienne No. 1 - Erik Satie

This was a bit slow paced for me and scored poorly as a result

In 4th place it's Andy125 with Nothing Else Matters - Apocalyptica

Excellent instrumental version of a song I love so couldn't not score highly

• Advertisement

In 13th place it's Sawduck with Waltz No. 2 - Dmitri Shostakovich

This wasn't to my taste I'm afraid

In 3rd place it's Mustang Shelly with Mozart - requiem for a dream

Very distinctive start - must be used in something I've watched - very enjoyable and a good tempo throughout

In 14th place it's Purple Tin with Ry Cooder - Dark was the Night

Really not for me I'm afraid - not my type of instrumental

In 2nd place it's Strawberry Milkshake with September song - Agnes obel

Excellent song which I will definitely revisit again - All Piano which I love and had a nice tempo too

I'll give people a chance to digest the above and apologies for rattling through it so quickly

There are two songs left to grade

fixXxer with Nobou Uematsu - One Winged Angel

and Greenspurs with John Butler - Ocean

I'll be back to announce once I do up the league table and work out how to format it in BBCode ;)

• Advertisement

Now I've worked out how to do BBCode Tables I'm back.

I'm pleased to announce that the winner of the instrumental section is Greenspurs with John Butler Trio - Ocean

An amazing piece of music - I absolutely loved this from start to end - I had heard it before years ago but it was a very welcome reminder of this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5vKTA4ntssIh5CKmJTNsmH4Cgy7Fn5UO

YouTube playlist for those who might want to listen to them all

After 2 rounds it's very tight at the top with 2 points separating the top 6. I think Acoustic will be next up and I'm hoping to not have as long a gap between the rounds - not promising tomorrow but hopefully not too long after that

Lassykk Walrus

Name OHW Inst Total
    y0ssar1an22 13 10 23
    ShaneU 15 6 21
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 14 7 21
    Andy125 9 12 21
    cj maxx 10 11 21
    greenspurs 6 15 21
    Strawberry Milkshake 4 14 18
    mustang shelly 3 13 16
    Rothko 12 4 16
    Tusk 11 5 16
    Necro 7 8 15
    Irish Aris 1 9 10
    fixXxer 8 1 9
    Purple Tin 5 2 7
    Sawduck 2 3 5

Again apologies for the rushed reveal in the last 30 minutes but I made a promise of today and wanted to keep to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

lassykk wrote: »
    In 3rd place it's Mustang Shelly with Mozart - requiem for a dream

Very distinctive start - must be used in something I've watched - very enjoyable and a good tempo throughout

This confused me!

It was going to be my entry, but it's Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell. Written for the film Requiem For A Dream and adapted (as Requiem for a Tower) for the trailers for LOTR:The Two Towers

It's very high on my list of favourite pieces of music and the Mozart reference really threw me... a quick Google there and I think it's wrong, I'm pretty sure it's Clint Mansell still

Cracking tune :)

(incidentally, Clint Mansell used to be in Pop Will Eat Itself :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

In 9th place we have Also Starring LeVar Burton with Kila - Double Knuckle Shuffle

Really didn't like the start of this but around 1 minute 30 seconds in it grew on me and I started to enjoy it - Might have done better without as much repetitive flute at the start which isn't my favourite instrument

Almost chose this for my list. Do love a bit of Kila.

#britsout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 9th place we have Also Starring LeVar Burton with Kila - Double Knuckle Shuffle

Really didn't like the start of this but around 1 minute 30 seconds in it grew on me and I started to enjoy it - Might have done better without as much repetitive flute at the start which isn't my favourite instrument

They say someone who isn't a fan of the sound of a flute is someone who is missing part of their soul... or else I just made that up.

Always knew this would be a bit of gamble, as with most instrumentals they're far superior if you see them live, and some of that magic is lost when listened to at home.

I'll gladly take 9th place though, keeps me in joined second for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

This confused me!

It was going to be my entry, but it's Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell. Written for the film Requiem For A Dream and adapted (as Requiem for a Tower) for the trailers for LOTR:The Two Towers

It's very high on my list of favourite pieces of music and the Mozart reference really threw me... a quick Google there and I think it's wrong, I'm pretty sure it's Clint Mansell still

Cracking tune :)

(incidentally, Clint Mansell used to be in Pop Will Eat Itself :p )

Yeah, only in the last few days found out that it's not Mozart but Clint Mansel. I've had that tune downloaded to an mp3 player for donkeys years and it was accredited to Mozart.

wow.

WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

fixXxer wrote: »
    Almost chose this for my list. Do love a bit of Kila.

#britsout

Nice. Seen them live loads. Their gigs are always fantastic.

My first choice of theirs would've been Rusty Nails, its one of my favourite pieces of music, but takes a bit to get going and is over 8 minutes, so Double Knuckle Shuffle felt like the better choice in this instance.

• Advertisement

On my BIRTHDAY WEEK.

You're a MONSTER.

Yeah, only in the last few days found out that it's not Mozart but Clint Mansel. I've had that tune downloaded to an mp3 player for donkeys years and it was accredited to Mozart.

Brilliant choice :)

I remember chasing my tail trying to find out who it was when The Two Towers came out, it's obviously got a bit mixed up out there. That's why I know such much about it, I'm not normally like this :p

I once saw The Kronos Quartet do it live, their version is incredible. It's off kilter, slightly out of tune in places (I think deliberately so!) and really creepy. You may hate it, you may love it...

Lol... I am sorry - I felt guilty after putting up the scores but singing really didn't help your cause in this round ;)

Happy Birthday :D

Phew. I thought maybe this was one I looked up the YouTube link for myself and got it wrong!

Cracking song though Mozart or not ;)

They say someone who isn't a fan of the sound of a flute is someone who is missing part of their soul... or else I just made that up.

Always knew this would be a bit of gamble, as with most instrumentals they're far superior if you see them live, and some of that magic is lost when listened to at home.

I'll gladly take 9th place though, keeps me in joined second for now.

In fairness when I heard the first minute I had it 14th but it is did grow on me and once it gets going it's enjoyable.

Still plenty to play for - currently on listen 3 for the acoustic songs so will be judging those soon :)

I really can't emphasise enough how much I loved John Butler Trio - Ocean though. It is an amazing piece of music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I really can't emphasise enough how much I loved John Butler Trio - Ocean though. It is an amazing piece of music

YES !!!!!! :D:D:D :D:D:D

If your foot isn't tapping while watching that, I think you are dead !!
    Its a stunning piece of work, played like a master !

I love it …. every single time I watch it.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Brilliant choice :)

I remember chasing my tail trying to find out who it was when The Two Towers came out, it's obviously got a bit mixed up out there. That's why I know such much about it, I'm not normally like this :p

I once saw The Kronos Quartet do it live, their version is incredible. It's off kilter, slightly out of tune in places (I think deliberately so!) and really creepy. You may hate it, you may love it...

Didn't that feature in Requiem for a Dream? Many moons since I've seen.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Didn't that feature in Requiem for a Dream? Many moons since I've seen.

Yep, written for it :)

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    YES !!!!!! :D:D:D :D:D:D

If your foot isn't tapping while watching that, I think you are dead !!
    Its a stunning piece of work, played like a master !

I love it …. every single time I watch it.

Yep I feel the exact same - just an unbelievable piece of music. I didn't know a guitar on it's own could produce something like that!

Advertisement