Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much savings do you have and what age are you?

1181920212224»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

rob316 wrote: »
    True some amount of crap posted on here.

If you can figure out how to live on 100 a week while wanting for nothing why bother working? You could have a wonderful life with that extra 120 a week on the dole.

Spendthrifts! I beg for sandwich money on my lunchbreak from my highly paid finance job, run home and then fast until the next day so I spend only €4 a week, just to get through the weekend on Koka noodles. I'm making €240,000 one year out of college and bought my first moonbase at 23. People need to work harder and start a pension with their communion money, or else they'll be shining my shoes in their dotage once automation takes their job.

How in the name of god do you survive on €100 per week if you save 20k out of 25k?

It’s not possible, ffs even in covid times with no pub I’d spend half that on beer a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cirrus Incus

It’s not possible, ffs even in covid times with no pub I’d spend half that on beer a week.

Not everyone is a frequent drinker. I only enjoy alcohol at social events. Drinking at home never appealed to me. I never drink tea or coffee either, but that's because I don't enjoy them at all, rather than it being a financial decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

True some amount of crap posted on here.

If you can figure out how to live on 100 a week while wanting for nothing why bother working? You could have a wonderful life with that extra 120 a week on the dole.

To be fair if I was mortgage free and single, only ate food that's just about hanging on for dear life, had no car, no tv, no broadband, no heating costs and my only real monthly expense is a tenner for a mobile phone bill then I reckon 100 a week would be no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Surviving on € 100 a week is very easy because I own my own home outright. I dont drink or smoke out of choice. I really enjoy home cooking with the best of ingredients bought reduced to clear and love inviting friends for dinner. I dont live on pot noodles btw. They are quite expensive and unhealthy. I actually enjoy bargain hunting. I want for nothing. I have few outgoings as I dont drive as live in the suburbs and walk to the city centre for the exercise so dont need a car. Many of the critics on here is bedgrugary. I have a fantastic smart tv and get all my channels free on satellite or saorview but dont watch much tv. My heating costs are zilch as two massive 100 year old elm trees on the grounds of my home had to be felled due to dieback disease. I burn these in my range which heats the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Surviving on € 100 a week is very easy because I own my own home outright. I dont drink or smoke out of choice. I really enjoy home cooking with the best of ingredients bought reduced to clear and love inviting friends for dinner. I dont live on pot noodles btw. They are quite expensive and unhealthy. I actually enjoy bargain hunting. I want for nothing. I have few outgoings as I dont drive as live in the suburbs and walk to the city centre for the exercise so dont need a car. Many of the critics on here is bedgrugary. I have a fantastic smart tv and get all my channels free on satellite or saorview but dont watch much tv. My heating costs are zilch as two massive 100 year old elm trees on the grounds of my home had to be felled due to dieback disease. I burn these in my range which heats the house.

Genuine curiosity here. Are you a member of a gym, sports club or have any subscriptions? Not having a dig btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭blackbox

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Under 5k for a wedding? Not a chance, even with 50 people unless you're wearing your own clothes, at home, with Spotify for music. You'd spend 5k on the dresses, the suits and the rings no bother. That's before the venue, dinners, band, priest, transport, makeup, etc etc etc.

You can have a nice wedding reception with only immediate family and a few close friends without all the BS of priest, makeup, limousines, one-time suits, dresses etc.

PHG wrote: »
    Genuine curiosity here. Are you a member of a gym, sports club or have any subscriptions? Not having a dig btw.

No I have none of these but walk quite a lot miles per day and swim in the sea when I have time. If I joined a gym I would probably hardly use it.

I prefer to save for cheap holidays abroad several times a year pre covid, staying in budget accommodation. Michael O Leary is my idol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Yyhhuuu wrote: »

I'd really like to learn from this as my expenses are a multiple of yours, despite keeping an eye on them. If you have 10 mins I'd love for you to cut and paste the following and put in your best guess for each. Thanks

Electricity
    Gas/Heating Fuel
    Phone
    Mobile
    Broadband
    Property Tax
    Refuse Collection

Supermarkets and other groceries
    Health Foods/Supplements etc
    Toiletries/Cosmetics
    Cleaning supplies
    Eating Out
    Off Licence 0
    Coffee out 0
    Pubs 0
    General Entertainment/Events
    Books/Magazines/Newspapers
    Gym Membership
    Club/Sports memberships and costs
    Hair Cutting/Beautician etc
    Sky/Virgin/Netflix/Apple etc

Clothes

Holidays - Ireland
    Holidays - Foreign
    Travel Insurance
    Health Insurance
    Medical expenses

Bus/Rail/Taxi

Car Repairs 0
    Car Tyres 0
    Car Diesel 0
    Car Insurance 0
    Car Motor Tax 0
    Motorway Tolls 0

House general maintenance
    Housekeeping
    House Insurance
    Garden expenses
    Residents Association

Charitable Donations
    Political/Cultural Subscriptions and Donations

Mortgage Repayments 0
    Loan Repayments
    HP/Finance Repayments
    Bank charges and interest

To each their own folks....... A simple frugal life doesn't mean a miserable one. House warmed by a wood burning stove, no mortgage, nice job & the sea and city nearby sounds quite pleasant to be fair. The chap isn't going hungry or neglecting himself.

• Advertisement

This is a guestimste of my monthly expenses:

Electricity 40 ( Excluding €200 welcome credit)
    Gas/Heating Fuel 0
    Phone 0 no landline
    Mobile 9.99. Go mo
    Broadband 0 (use 80+gb tethering from latter)
    Property Tax several hundred p.a. dont recall exact figure.
    Refuse Collection approx 16

Supermarkets and other groceries approx 90 ( almost all reduced to clear but top quality)
    Health Foods/Supplements etc 0 apart from vitamin D during height of Pandemic.
    Toiletries/Cosmetics approx 6 ( I have tons of shampoo etc)
    Cleaning supplies approx 3
    Eating Out 0
    Off Licence approx 50
    Coffee out approx 24 (was much higher pre -covid as daily)
    Pubs 0
    General Entertainment/Events 0
    Books/Magazines/Newspapers 0 ( online)
    Gym Membership 0
    Club/Sports memberships and costs 0
    Hair Cutting/Beautician etc 0 (DIY)
    Sky/Virgin/Netflix/Apple etc 0 (Satellite dish)

Clothes very little as have so many. Maybe 5.

Holidays - Ireland 0
    Holidays - Foreign approx 83 pre- covid
    Travel Insurance 0 ( EU travel EHIS card)
    Health Insurance 0 ( but plan to )
    Medical expenses 0

Bus/Rail/Taxi 80 pre- covid, now 0

Car Repairs 0
    Car Tyres 0
    Car Diesel 0
    Car Insurance 0
    Car Motor Tax 0
    Motorway Tolls 0

House general maintenance 0 (DIY)
    Housekeeping I'm not sure what this entails
    House Insurance 25
    Garden expenses 0 ( large gardens do it myself)
    Residents Association 0 none

Charitable Donations 0 (but will benefit under will)
    Political/Cultural Subscriptions and Donations 0

Mortgage Repayments 0
    Loan Repayments 0
    HP/Finance Repayments 0
    Bank charges and interest 1.66 BOI

I buy a new phone usually each year around christmas. Currently using Samsung A70 which I got for about €250 using discounts and Samsung offer. It cost me little over €100 net after selling my old phone to CEX who are fantastic.

Again this is a rough estimate of my expenses as I dont break down my expenses per month but annually.

I hope to increase my income in near future and loosen the purse strings. My expenses are greatly reduced by eating the best of food at sometimes 10% of full price, not eating out by choice and no pubs. I think pubs are a rip-off in Ireland. I will get health insurance in the future but have plenty of money for diagnostics or private consultation should the need arise. Should an unexpected expense arise I can pay for it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Time everyone takes a time out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement