Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

mel123 wrote: »
    Would anyone who is following travel restrictions etc care to hazzard a guess if they think Portugal will be on the safe list? We've the chance to go in September and id love to book the flights now before the announcement as im sure they will jump in price. Should i take the punt?!?

I'm in the exact same situation as you. We have our hotel booked since before this pandemic struck Europe. I've no idea what to do, rumours are that Portugal will not be included in the initial list of acceptable countries to visit. The irony is that they had been handling this better than us and most European countries but recently there have been minor outbreaks in Lisbon and a stupidly organised large party in Lagos which, crucially, is in the Algarve. I'm hoping to get there in September though, I adore the place and try to get there every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

casio4 wrote: »
    No I wasn't thinking of England.
    MULTIPLE beaches across the Balearic Islands have been closed by police due to citizens ‘failing to adhere to social distancing.’

That’s a good thing though; that shows that the authorities are paying attention to the rules. Bournemouth only too action as it got out of hand around the tow - 558 parking tickets issued - probably would have done nothing if it was just the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

casio4 wrote: »
    No I wasn't thinking of England.
    MULTIPLE beaches across the Balearic Islands have been closed by police due to citizens ‘failing to adhere to social distancing.’

That’s a good thing though; that shows that the authorities are paying attention to the rules. Bournemouth only took action as it got out of hand around the town - 558 parking tickets issued - probably would have done nothing if it was just the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

Leo said it will be co-ordinated at an EU level, meaning it will most likely be EU wide. What they do with the UK is anyone's guess but the are probably hoping it settles down there too in the next few weeks so they are saved making a tough political decision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

manniot2 wrote: »
    Leo said it will be co-ordinated at an EU level, meaning it will most likely be EU wide. What they do with the UK is anyone's guess but the are probably hoping it settles down there too in the next few weeks so they are saved making a tough political decision.

I think he was referring to non EU countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Prof Holohan going out of his way to tell us not to be planning holidays with case trends changing in 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So Mr Holohan going to force families to lose hundreds and thousands of euro, have no travel insurance and watch all of our European neighbours flying around to each other for the summer enjoying themselves...conveniently forgetting we’re an island nation.
    How many thousands of jobs will this cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Haha Holohan is obsessed with the travel - He needs to stop being provided this platform to spout his personal opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

To be fair it's not really his job to be concerned with job losses. But yeah, the damage to our economy is going to be catastrophic. We need to strike a balance somewhere and that is probably through air bridges. It's either that, or we all do a staycation, get ripped off by expensive hotels, bars and restaurants and to top it off most of us are to be hit with increased taxation for using the wage subsidy scheme.
    Not good for the mental health of our country I think.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

To be fair it's not really his job to be concerned with job losses. But yeah, the damage to our economy is going to be catastrophic. We need to strike a balance somewhere and that is probably through air bridges. It's either that, or we all do a staycation, get ripped off by expensive hotels, bars and restaurants and to top it off most of us are to be hit with increased taxation for using the wage subsidy scheme.
    Not good for the mental health of our country I think.....

We're supposed to have a Government to make the decisions about permitting travel, and of course the medical committee that Holohan leads will always be super cautious and recommend we stay put. What's happening is the HSE committees guild lines are more or less law. Ignore them if you like, that's your own concern.

I've no interest in staying in Ireland all summer and booking stays in Kerry, Donegal, wherever, I won't pay massive prices just to travel a few hours up the road. And i'm sure most people would rather stay home, save money, buy a BBQ and a few cans every weekend or whatever they're into.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    We're supposed to have a Government to make the decisions about permitting travel, and of course the medical committee that Holohan leads will always be super cautious and recommend we stay put. What's happening is the HSE committees guild lines are more or less law. Ignore them if you like, that's your own concern.

I've no interest in staying in Ireland all summer and booking stays in Kerry, Donegal, wherever, I won't pay massive prices just to travel a few hours up the road. And i'm sure most people would rather stay home, save money, buy a BBQ and a few cans every weekend or whatever they're into.

I agree and this is a key point that seems to get lost. The alternate to no foreign travel is not a staycation. Most people won’t bother and will just wait until a time they can travel. Ireland is far too expensive to holiday in. And the weather is unpredictable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

All of us staying in Ireland on staycations won't save most of these businesses, they need tourists coming in to the country more than they need us staying here, 4 million come from England to Ireland every year. So it's not just about us not leaving the country it's also about the tourists coming in spending their money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Almost as if leo and Simon are coercing with Tony behind the scenes......

They already know an impending recession is coming, so they’re gonna fcuk it for the average Joe moreso. Those boys won’t be affected. They’ll all be on their big holidays after Christmas enjoying their bonus.

faceman wrote: »
    I agree and this is a key point that seems to get lost. The alternate to no foreign travel is not a staycation. Most people won’t bother and will just wait until a time they can travel. Ireland is far too expensive to holiday in. And the weather is unpredictable

People like to go on Holidays, relax at a hotel/resort, buy meals, drinks, have entertainment for them and the kids, all for a great price and guaranteed sun... can't see them all piling into the car and driving a couple of hours down the M7 to pay thousands to stay somewhere else...

....I see a lot of people have accepted they won't go abroad and have thrown the money into painting the house, doing the Garden, buying a BBQ and a marquee tent, you can see further proof by the masses queuing at the Hard/home-ware stores every weekend....they're going no where...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Based on Dr Tony’s press conf this evening, looks like if he has his way, Spain, Italy, France & Portugal won’t be on any green list. Clearly obvious that NPHET are pissed off with the Govt’s Green List idea and came out will all guns blazing tonight. Now clearly a stand off between NPHET and the Govt and public health v economy. Has to be a middle ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

They can blaze all the guns they want, but the truth is this is well out of their hands. At the moment The Czech Republic, in their role of EU presidency, are drafting the list of safe countries, and this will apply to all EU States. NPHET can jump up and down and try and tell the Govt to opt out of the travel agreement, but there is not a hope in hell of us going it alone against the EU, especially when we will be going to them looking for our slice of the recovery fund pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know it is painful to have to forego trips to the sun this year, but speaking for myself I don't care too much, can cope for this year anyway.

Sounds like the landscape is changing by the minute, but then again it depends on where you (I) get the information from.

This year is for those who have paid and don't want to lose money that won't be covered, fair enough, or those who are brave enough to just go for it and see what happens.

I can live in my back garden for now with friends and family and have a blast (socially distancing of course).

Next year is something else though. Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I've been in Spain since February. Heading home with Ryanair on 2nd July from Malaga, hopefully.

Going back to Spain for a few months in September, again hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Looks like the UK is removing travel restriction to certain countries from 6th July. Hopefully Ireland will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Looks like the UK is removing travel restriction to certain countries from 6th July. Hopefully Ireland will follow.

Yes, they will have a traffic light system in place. Spain, Portugal, France and Italy seem to be in their Amber group. They still won’t have an quarantine requirement on return...but are we to even get this option? Interesting Leo said on Friday it would be decided at EU level, this would be great for us as they seem to have more common sense than NPHET who just want to champion their great numbers and live in a bubble for the foreseeable future.
    I’m so annoyed at the current agenda - trying to force people to fork out their hard earned money on rip off Ireland and trying to not give them a choice, despite us being citizens of the EU. Some people enjoy holidaying here and fair play to them if that’s the case. I don’t enjoy forking out the same price as going abroad with no guarantee of the weather & 105 minute restaurant sitting, no pools, no cinema, etc., still limited on what’s actually opened here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

There is no ambiguity here from Dr Holohan

https://twitter.com/CMOIreland/status/1276771286438592512

54and56 wrote: »

Not taking my main holiday in rip-off Ireland. Sorry Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

He's coming out against the Government and EU policy here, cannot believe he's given such free reign. Actually ordering people to go on a Staycation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Carol25 wrote: »
    He's coming out against the Government and EU policy here, cannot believe he's given such free reign. Actually ordering people to go on a Staycation...

Exactly. His remit is health, not economics or patriotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

As I said last night he’s coming out with all guns blazing and it’s also like that he’s sent an internal memo to all the other NPHET crew to tweet / retweet and spread his gospel far & wide. Will be interesting to see how the new govt deal with them. Now if you are considering on heading abroad you will be public enemy number 1. Some people would have the country locked down until a vaccine is found, which could be 6 months, 1 year or never. Same people that are happy being unhappy 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

That sort of behavior from Holohan really annoys me!! :mad:

He has absolutely no right whatsoever to tell people to staycation!! People have made huge sacrifices for almost four months now and telling them they must now stay in Ireland in its crappy weather and pay rip off prices for limited services is going too far.

There is also an element of do as I say but not what I do which has always been a tendency of the high and mighty in Ireland. Tony Holohan's income would be multiples of your average Joe who likes to holiday in Spain. Hence Tony has a lot more options to his staycation. He can afford the more luxurious hotel. I'm not saying that's what he'll do, that's his business but he shouldn't meddle into where others choose to holiday.

Carol25 wrote: »

I'm supposed to be getting the ferry to France with my family next Saturday and was leaning towards going in the expectation that the DFA travel advisory would be lifted and/or the proposed travel corridors would be in place either by then or soon after but I have to say Dr Holohans statement has caused me and my family to re-consider.

I get the whole annoyance at being told to staycation and my view is that holidaying in a campsite in Wexford won't be any more or less risky than a similar holiday in a campsite in France but if he thinks the risk of re-importing infections makes travelling outside Ireland too risky this summer I'm not sure I'll simply ignore that so I can have my holiday. If we don't go (and I'd say it's now more likely that we won't unless official policy changes in the next 4-5 days) we won't be replacing our French holiday with a staycation. We'll just skip the holiday all together.

I really wish there was a firm policy in place but I know its a very fluid situation.

Does anyone know when the air corridor decision / announcement is due to be made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Not all foreign leisure travel can be replaced with a staycation. A lot of people travel abroad to see family and friends and are eager to do so

I'm all for safety but I'd be happy for Ireland to adopt EU guidance about foreign travel rather than Ireland going out on our own and having a blanket restriction on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Firstly the virus is here to stay. It’s not going anywhere and there’s no guarantee of a vaccine anytime soon. Does Holohan want us to staycation indefinitely?!

Even if people go on a “staycation” the chances are the virus will be spreading around the country anyway. So i think we should chance some foreign travel and just do our best to protect ourselves.

Because the virus isn’t going to go away i fear Holohan will be spouting this for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

I'm supposed to be getting the ferry to France with my family next Saturday and was leaning towards going in the expectation that the DFA travel advisory would be lifted and/or the proposed travel corridors would be in place either by then or soon after but I have to say Dr Holohans statement has caused me and my family to re-consider.

I get the whole annoyance at being told to staycation and my view is that holidaying in a campsite in Wexford won't be any more or less risky than a similar holiday in a campsite in France but if he thinks the risk of re-importing infections makes travelling outside Ireland too risky this summer I'm not sure I'll simply ignore that so I can have my holiday. If we don't go (and I'd say it's now more likely that we won't unless official policy changes in the next 4-5 days) we won't be replacing our French holiday with a staycation. We'll just skip the holiday all together.

I really wish there was a firm policy in place but I know its a very fluid situation.

Does anyone know when the air corridor decision / announcement is due to be made?

What really annoys me about this is the rest of the EU will be allowed to travel to each other and enjoy a much needed break after a stressful lockdown with so many sacrifices made.
    These countries wouldn't make those decisions without feeling confident in doing so surely? Why are we different to say Germany and other EU countries who are travelling already?
    From an economic point of view, we cannot keep the skies here closed long term. The devastation will be colossal, NPHET's concern re imported cases and their data show they are not from EU countries as far as I'm aware but correct me if I'm wrong. They should have established and been planning protocol e.g. testing and screening, etc. at airports for weeks - not shouting as us to 'holiday at home'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

What's the point of an air bridge to somewhere like Spain when the Brits with over 10 times our new case rates this week seem to think they're going to have one there too? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    A lot of people here with short memories as to how this whole thing kicked off in Europe four months or so ago. We've all had a few difficult few months, some of us (myself included) have lost jobs and there will be a lot more to come.
    While the week in Italy in late September would have been something to look forward to, a foreign holiday is now pretty far down my list of priorities.
    I wonder how many people banging on about their god given right to a foreign holiday lost someone close to them?
    In two days time we will have a lot more freedom to do as we please compared to where we were 2 months ago but we are not out of the woods yet. Complacency is our biggest enemy.

I'm really sorry to quote you and sorry if you think I'm having a go at you but this post typifies everything that is wrong with the Irish approach and the Irish attitude.

You state that you don't think the risks are greater abroad, but because Tony Holohan tells you not to travel you decide to obey him! Would you not use your own judgement? Would you not go and just self isolate when you come back? And what is the point in not going and then not even staycationing at home? Who benefits from that? Not the Irish economy, not you and your family.

Yes there are risks of virus spikes this summer, there will be risks starting this Monday with internal travel restrictions being removed. It's summer time [though you wouldn't think it] hence there will be much more movement in all directions hence higher risks. Everywhere. Feeling guilty because you might have brought it in from abroad is ridiculous. I could bring it back to Kerry from a trip to Dublin. Risks can be minimised here and everywhere by taking sensible precautions.

People are so easily bossed and ordered here in Ireland and they follow like sheep. :(

acequion wrote: »

People are so easily bossed and ordered here in Ireland and they follow like sheep. :(

While this is true for some TBH I think there is a much bigger chunk of the population here who think that rules and reccomendations apply to everyone else but not them and cannot be told anything.

Seamai wrote: »
    TBH This is true for some but I think there is a much bigger chunk of the population here who think that rules and reccomendations apply to everyone else but not them and cannot be told anything.

Totally disagree. I have a problem with political,public health, religious,military or any kind of leader talking down to their population and treating them like children. We live in a democracy and people are highly educated and entitled to make their own decisions based on their own judgement.

Just look at what I've quoted from you! That's how we might talk about children. Who gives anybody the right to make those comments about other adults?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Not all foreign leisure travel can be replaced with a staycation. A lot of people travel abroad to see family and friends and are eager to do so

Exactly! I'm flying next week to Germany to visit family. They won't come to Ireland because of the quarantine requirements here. No such requirement in Germany so off I go.
    Hopefully the new govt will follow EU guidelines and ignore the constant scaremongering from the NPHET.

Totally disagree. I have a problem with political,public health, religious,military or any kind of leader talking down to their population and treating them like children. We live in a democracy and people are highly educated and entitled to make their own decisions based on their own judgement.

Just look at what I've quoted from you! That's how we might talk about children. Who gives anybody the right to make those comments about other adults?

Oooops, I hit a raw nerve there obviously, not even going to bother arguing it with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

One thing though is that I would be in favour of the EU closing its external borders to places like the US which are nowhere near controlling the spread of the virus. Air bridges between countries with similar R numbers seems to be the most sensible approach but based on his tweet this morning, Dr. Holohan seems to be even against that idea.

BTW, he played a major role in ensuring Ireland got through the last four months without the problems experienced in other EU countries so I think he has done a very good job in managing our response to the virus but he also needs to recognise that this "new normal" cannot include a wholesale restriction on foreign travel.

One thing though is that I would be in favour of the EU closing its external borders to places like the US which are nowhere near controlling the spread of the virus. Air bridges between countries with similar R numbers seems to be the most sensible approach but based on his tweet this morning, Dr. Holohan seems to be even against that idea.

BTW, he played a major role in ensuring Ireland got through the last four months without the problems experienced in other EU countries so I think he has done a very good job in managing our response to the virus but he also needs to recognise that this "new normal" cannot include a wholesale restriction on foreign travel.

Broadly agree. Allowing free movement to other EU countries would be sensible imo. As they are doing in the rest of the EU. This "airbridges" malarky sounds unnecessarily complicated.

Agree too re Tony Holohan. He certainly did an excellent job and is entitled to the utmost respect. But playing travel agent is a bridge too far, pun intended there.:)

Fully agree. I have relatives who buried their father in February. They all live abroad,but in the EU. Not one of them have been able to visit their mother since, even the months mind had to be cancelled. They are really hoping they'll be able to come at some point this summer but not if Holohan has his way.

And that is just not right. We're a country that have been exporting our people for centuries, our diaspora is all over the world. Everybody knows people with family abroad. Continuing to keep families apart while we keep the island locked up is plain wrong. They really have to relax those travel restrictions asap.

Seamai wrote: »
    While this is true for some TBH I think there is a much bigger chunk of the population here who think that rules and reccomendations apply to everyone else but not them and cannot be told anything.

If we all listen to Seamai and be good boys and girls we’ll maybe get a day out to wexford or somewhere next summer.

Now everyone take their spoonful of FG/FF medicine and be quiet for another 4 years.

Dr Tony knows best because he is a doctor and very important and speaks in a very firm voice. He has no conflicts of interest at all.

• Advertisement

Well, I don't remember voting for a medical expert as Taoiseach so won't be waiting for him to "allow" us good boys and girls to leave this little island..

I don't "Holiday" anyways, I Travel :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

We have said we’d see how it looks in a few weeks as well likely lose our flights in August if they run. But we’d make the call then. Tony’s plan is working cause my mam already ran today saying’now see you can’t and shouldn’t go!’
    This is the same Tony who said it was ok to keep visiting nursing homes. He pulled the presser last night to get his spoke in before new government is in.
    Stop travel from basket case areas, not EU ones. Build the air bridges, test on arrival etc. blanket ban is not the way. Also this thing will probably spike in winter it’ll be grim to not have had a bit of a break (and no Kerry doesn’t cut it)!

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Now everyone take their spoonful of FG/FF medicine and be quiet for another 4 years.

Thanks for the good belly laugh in relation to my assumed political affiliation. Wide of the mark but you know the old adage, laughter is indeed the best form of medicine 🀣

I think this may be scrutinised in the future. I have a huge trust and integrity issue with the guy given he was at the centre of the Cervical Smear Scandal. He should have been fired then.

If you look at our care homes, the issues with C19 with healthcare workers, direct provision, there are many questions to be answered.

When you look at how Spain handles the virus when things hit the fan there they did stellar work in getting numbers as low as they did. Probably the strictest in Europe. Who’s to say if we adapted similar measures we could have pulled through this sooner?

I’m not trying to say he did a bad job either. But depicted him as a superhero given his past is something that feels very Irish and something I’m not comfortable with.

Also his latest antics on travel are well outside his remit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

According to some of the treehugger morons who claim to have inside info about the Green Party will be pushing for huge green taxes on aviation once in government. If i were ye get booking lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

faceman wrote: »
    I think this may be scrutinised in the future.

I'm sure all sorts of reports will be commissioned (and more 'experts' will be paid generous consulting fees), and in the end nothing will materially change and no one will be penalised. We've all seen this before...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

GocRh wrote: »
    I'm sure all sorts of reports will be commissioned (and more 'experts' will be paid generous consulting fees), and in the end nothing will materially change and no one will be penalised. We've all seen this before...

Sometime, years in the future some "long anticipated" report will be released just before August Bank Holiday or a week before Christmas.. I'm only half joking btw

I'm really sorry to quote you and sorry if you think I'm having a go at you but this post typifies everything that is wrong with the Irish approach and the Irish attitude.

You state that you don't think the risks are greater abroad, but because Tony Holohan tells you not to travel you decide to obey him! Would you not use your own judgement? (

Cool your jets there acequion!! I'm most definitely not a thoughtless sheep, quite the contrary but I do like to think I'm a responsible civic person who doesn't put my own personal satisfaction or desires ahead of the greater good.

The key problem with your suggestion to make my own judgement is that I don't have either the knowledge, experience or objective data to make an unbiased informed decision. I want to go on my holiday so I can easily find stories and info which would allow me to somehow justify deciding to go but I know that would just be confirmation bias.

If I'm not sure why I feel ill I go to a trusted source with the skills and qualifications to diagnose the problem and prescribe a treatment. I don't use "Dr Google" to find info which supports my fear that I may have X and then look for snake oil remedies to fix it. I pay my €60, trust my Doctor and follow his advice.

In a democracy we all submit macro / policy decision making to an elected Govt and on our behalf the Govt employ experts to advise and inform on areas which impact the lives of everyone in the country.

I happily submit myself to the greater good. Dr Holohan is acting to protect us not spoil our lives. He has first hand experience of the devastating consequences for many who have caught and died from C19 and he knows the risks C19 place on healthcare workers etc. If in his professional opinion as the countries Doctor overseas travel for summer holidays poses an unnecessary risk which could ultimately lead to more cases of C19 and more deaths then despite my own amateur observation that the R rate in France is no higher than Ireland and therefore going to France poses no more risk than staying home I will defer to his professional judgement and do my bit to keep the infection rate down.

If that policy changes and I'm free to go I'll go.
    And what is the point in not going and then not even staycationing at home? Who benefits from that? Not the Irish economy, not you and your family.(

Tried staycationing a few years ago and it was a disaster, put us right off. Couped up in a hotel/apartment whilst it pi$$ed down rain for a few days in a row wasn't our idea of fun. I'd actually rather stay home and spend two weeks out golfing, cycling, BBQ'ing and exploring from home but that's just personal preference.

I am absolutely not a sheep.

I'm also not selfish and irresponsible.

I am frustrated and hoping to get some definitive clarity on when the travel corridors or reciprocal arrangements with other countries, particularly France in my case, will be announced and whether the announcement of such arrangements will automatically mean the DFA travel advisory against all but essential travel to and from those countries will also be lifted.

Cool your jets there acequion!! I'm most definitely not a thoughtless sheep, quite the contrary but I do like to think I'm a responsible civic person who doesn't put my own personal satisfaction or desires ahead of the greater good.

The key problem with your suggestion to make my own judgement is that I don't have either the knowledge, experience or objective data to make an unbiased informed decision. I want to go on my holiday so I can easily find stories and info which would allow me to somehow justify deciding to go but I know that would just be confirmation bias.

If I'm not sure why I feel ill I go to a trusted source with the skills and qualifications to diagnose the problem and prescribe a treatment. I don't use "Dr Google" to find info which supports my fear that I may have X and then look for snake oil remedies to fix it. I pay my €60, trust my Doctor and follow his advice.

In a democracy we all submit macro / policy decision making to an elected Govt and on our behalf the Govt employ experts to advise and inform on areas which impact the lives of everyone in the country.

I happily submit myself to the greater good. Dr Holohan is acting to protect us not spoil our lives. He has first hand experience of the devastating consequences for many who have caught and died from C19 and he knows the risks C19 place on healthcare workers etc. If in his professional opinion as the countries Doctor overseas travel for summer holidays poses an unnecessary risk which could ultimately lead to more cases of C19 and more deaths then despite my own amateur observation that the R rate in France is no higher than Ireland and therefore going to France poses no more risk than staying home I will defer to his professional judgement and do my bit to keep the infection rate down.

If that policy changes and I'm free to go I'll go.

Tried staycationing a few years ago and it was a disaster, put us right off. Couped up in a hotel/apartment whilst it pi$$ed down rain for a few days in a row wasn't our idea of fun. I'd actually rather stay home and spend two weeks out golfing, cycling, BBQ'ing and exploring from home but that's just personal preference.

I am absolutely not a sheep.

I'm also not selfish and irresponsible.

I am frustrated and hoping to get some definitive clarity on when the travel corridors or reciprocal arrangements with other countries, particularly France in my case, will be announced and whether the announcement of such arrangements will automatically mean the DFA travel advisory against all but essential travel to and from those countries will also be lifted.

Any other craic then?

• Advertisement

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Any other craic then?

Lots actually, thanks for asking.

You?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement