Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?

1111213141517»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

J Mysterio wrote: »
    My position is clear, and I don't think its unreasonable in any way, given we are in the midst of a pandemic. The first to truly affect us in such a way in our lifetimes.

You don't agree, that's a shame. I will continue to follow closely what the experts say, while others are determined to ignore them, or dismiss them.

Let's revisit this in a month or two.

Can we zoom call? I’ll be at the side of the pool if that suits you !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Sunshine destinations with low numbers, low Ro with social distancing and quarantine when I get back, I would have no great problem with.
    It`s the 4 to 6 hours sealed in an airtight cylinder both there and back that makes it a no-no for me at present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

charlie14 wrote: »
    Sunshine destinations with low numbers, low Ro with social distancing and quarantine when I get back, I would have no great problem with.
    It`s the 4 to 6 hours sealed in an airtight cylinder both there and back that makes it a no-no for me at present

4-6 hours???

Most destinations in Spain are less than 3 hours and that's the far south. Places like Croatia /Greece would be 4 hours tops. Not sure about the Canaries but most other popular European destinations about 2 hours.

So where is the 4-6 hours coming from? Nobody is talking about flying across the Atlantic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I wonder if air bridges will happen now at all seeing that hippie Ryan is going to be transport minister. We know he hates aviation because it’s not “green”.

acequion wrote: »
    4-6 hours???

Most destinations in Spain are less than 3 hours and that's the far south. Places like Croatia /Greece would be 4 hours tops. Not sure about the Canaries but most other popular European destinations about 2 hours.

So where is the 4-6 hours coming from? Nobody is talking about flying across the Atlantic!

Dublin to the Canaries flight time is 4 hours. Dublin to many of the Greek islands flight time is 4.5 hours.

Maybe I have been unfortunate but I have yet to board a flight to either destination where it was in the air seconds after I boarded or I was off it seconds after it landed.
    Hope that clears it up for you, but if I`m honest, with a post like that you really do appear to have way too much time on your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Flying next Saturday. I shall post pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Dublin to the Canaries flight time is 4 hours. Dublin to many of the Greek islands flight time is 4.5 hours.

Maybe I have been unfortunate but I have yet to board a flight to either destination where it was in the air seconds after I boarded or I was off it seconds after it landed.
    Hope that clears it up for you, but if I`m honest, with a post like that you really do appear to have way too much time on your hands.

Why the bitchy comment? As someone who posts a lot yourself that's a bit like pot calling the kettle black.

Besides the post was calling you out on your obvious exaggeration. Which you've reined in a bit. And yes you've been unlucky as those times quoted in my post ie 3 hours to Spain,Malaga or Alicante, would the max, including boarding and disembarking. Occasionally there are indeed delays but generally Ryanair is either right on time or early.They pride themeselves on it. This year with far fewer planes you won't have the type of take off queues that cause delays and congestion in peak periods causing more time needed in the aircraft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Let’s be honest here. 4-6 hours to any destination wasn’t the most pleasant of experiences on any Irish low fare airlines pre-Covid :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Maybe you have, I don't believe a flight with everyone wearing a mask or face covering is high risk, certainly no more of a risk than being in an Irish bar or restaurant tomorrow evening, which I won't be, usually the Canaries flight time is 3hrs40 mins in my experience. The Canaries are a low risk destination at the moment IMO, I'd suggest lower than a staycation here so I wouldn't begrudge anyone going, I'll be there late september, the way I see it & the way I'll do it is

Drive my own car to airport - zero risk
    Check in wearing a mask observing social distancing - zero risk, similar to going to the supermarket here
    Fly, sanitize my own immediate area, wear mask - low risk
    Collect bags while continuing to wear mask - zero risk (see check in above)
    Collect hire car - zero risk ( see check in above)
    Unmask & drive to hotel - zero risk
    Arrive at hotel & comply with their regulations for the duration - zero risk

I'll probably have to wear a mask for 1hr30mins a day while there for breakfast and dinner, I can live with that, I'm a beach bum so finding two square meters will be easy, in fact I'll be well able to find a lot more so no risk, I'm fine with that

I'll be pretty sensible, will confine myself to the hotel & beach, won't be venturing out into local bars & restaurants this year, I don't do shops.

I don't see the above as anymore riskier than a staycation here?

Having said that, I'll choose my destination carefully, low population density, low Covid cases, wouldn't be in a mad rush to mainland Spain's high density tourist spots although this year could be pretty quiet, I'd be more worried about next year

For those waiting for a vaccine before traveling, you may have quite the wait,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Per the above article in el pais, if there is air circulation on board a plane (which I believe is always the case?), that would surely constitute a risk?

acequion wrote: »
    Why the bitchy comment? As someone who posts a lot yourself that's a bit like pot calling the kettle black.

Besides the post was calling you out on your obvious exaggeration. Which you've reined in a bit. And yes you've been unlucky as those times quoted in my post ie 3 hours to Spain,Malaga or Alicante, would the max, including boarding and disembarking. Occasionally there are indeed delays but generally Ryanair is either right on time or early.They pride themeselves on it. This year with far fewer planes you won't have the type of take off queues that cause delays and congestion in peak periods causing more time needed in the aircraft.

Why ?
    I feel it was a reply in kind.
    I reined nothing in. I explained to you how long I have spent on planes to both the Canaries and the Greek Islands on occasions. Nothing to do with boarding or disembarking. I don`t use Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Per the above article in el pais, if there is air circulation on board a plane (which I believe is always the case?), that would surely constitute a risk?

Are you for real? You are lecturing people about the dangers of travelling and you don't even know the basics of how aircraft ventilation systems work! Cabin air is replaced once every three minutes. The onboard HEPA filters capture 99.99% of particles. The overhead air jets also provide a protective curtain of air.

Please do a little bit of study in the subject before you go telling other, more informed people what to do.

Maybe you have, I don't believe a flight with everyone wearing a mask or face covering is high risk, certainly no more of a risk than being in an Irish bar or restaurant tomorrow evening, which I won't be, usually the Canaries flight time is 3hrs40 mins in my experience. The Canaries are a low risk destination at the moment IMO, I'd suggest lower than a staycation here so I wouldn't begrudge anyone going, I'll be there late september, the way I see it & the way I'll do it is

Drive my own car to airport - zero risk
    Check in wearing a mask observing social distancing - zero risk, similar to going to the supermarket here
    Fly, sanitize my own immediate area, wear mask - low risk
    Collect bags while continuing to wear mask - zero risk (see check in above)
    Collect hire car - zero risk ( see check in above)
    Unmask & drive to hotel - zero risk
    Arrive at hotel & comply with their regulations for the duration - zero risk

I'll probably have to wear a mask for 1hr30mins a day while there for breakfast and dinner, I can live with that, I'm a beach bum so finding two square meters will be easy, in fact I'll be well able to find a lot more so no risk, I'm fine with that

I'll be pretty sensible, will confine myself to the hotel & beach, won't be venturing out into local bars & restaurants this year, I don't do shops.

I don't see the above as anymore riskier than a staycation here?

Having said that, I'll choose my destination carefully, low population density, low Covid cases, wouldn't be in a mad rush to mainland Spain's high density tourist spots although this year could be pretty quiet, I'd be more worried about next year

For those waiting for a vaccine before traveling, you may have quite the wait,

Pretty much like yourself on being a beach bum and will be doing the same myself in hopefully October all thing considered. One being how safe flights will be by then. I will be doing it exactly the same way as you. Even though I will miss the restaurant visits.
    Enjoy.
    I`ll do a break here before then as I usually do mid Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dante7 wrote: »
    Are you for real? You are lecturing people about the dangers of travelling and you don't even know the basics of how aircraft ventilation systems work! Cabin air is replaced once every three minutes. The onboard HEPA filters capture 99.99% of particles. The overhead air jets also provide a protective curtain of air.

Please do a little bit of study in the subject before you go telling other, more informed people what to do.

'The basics of aircraft ventilation'. Yeah, that's common knowledge. ;)

I am following Holohan, international news, and reading statistics sites on Covid. I never once mentioned planes hitherto. If you had noticed, I asked a question, I didnt make a statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Pretty much like yourself on being a beach bum and will be doing the same myself in hopefully October. I will be doing it exactly the same way as you. Even though I will miss the restaurant visits.
    Enjoy.

Also looking at September/October somewhere warm. No chance I'm heading for any of the main tourist spots in the short term if they're letting the Brits in. I was in Spain when this all kicked off - I'll wait and see how they handle increased numbers before I go back.

I've flights to SE Asia booked for November. I'd say that's 50/50 at this stage.

• Advertisement

Also looking at September/October somewhere warm. No chance I'm heading for any of the main tourist spots in the short term if they're letting the Brits in. I was in Spain when this all kicked off - I'll wait and see how they handle increased numbers before I go back.

I've flights to SE Asia booked for November. I'd say that's 50/50 at this stage.

Hopefully SE Asia will be ok by then. Canaries would be ok that time of the year and I have had beautiful weather in both Sicily and the Greek Islands end of September beginning of October. But it can be a matter of luck at that time.

I probably should not say this, it`s not exactly P.C. I have been avoiding Brit tourists long before Covid-19. Individually and in small groups, grand people. In packs, not for me I`m afraid when it comes to holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Whereabouts in SE Asia? I used to travel to the region a lot for business, in fact returned from my last trip in February just before all this madness.

They're certainly taking their time to allow travel, even the border between Singapore and Malaysia is still closed. In fact it seems that Europe might open up to Japan before SE Asia does.

If there's a resurgence of COVID during autumn in Europe, I think any tourism in Asia can be ruled out for the rest of the year and early 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

So my Berlin trip is just over two and a half weeks away now but looking at my facebook there is very much an anti-travel sentiment with lots of people proudly declaring they are staying at home. You add in Tony Houlihan’s tweet on top of this and it feels like those of us planning to travel abroad are thoughtless scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Yes
    To Dublin next week

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Mr rebel wrote: »
    So my Berlin trip is just over two and a half weeks away now but looking at my facebook there is very much an anti-travel sentiment with lots of people proudly declaring they are staying at home. You add in Tony Houlihan’s tweet on top of this and it feels like those of us planning to travel abroad are thoughtless scum!

It's an orchestrated campaign by the NPHET. Spinning the figures to suit their narrative - showing percentages when the overall number of cases is low so travel looks like a far bigger threat.

Here's a different graphic from the HPSC showing the actual numbers, and not percentages.

EbnFmRbX0AEVqKX?format=png&name=900x900

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I really feel this thread has served its purpose. If you'd like to discuss Covid19 I believe there's a whole forum for that now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement