Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

pinkyeye wrote: »
    As someone with an underlying condition there's no way I'd risk it this year.

If I was young and healthy I might.

But the thing only one other person has mentioned here is insurance. Be sure folks that without a doubt NO insurance company will cover you for anything Covid related.

For travel wthin the EU the EHIC is all you need for emergency health care, including covid. But you'll be out of pocket on any travel disruption expenses (extra hotel nights, re-booking flights...)
    Further afield though it could be more complicated, especially if the Department of Foreign Affairs still maintains a ban on non-essential trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pinkyeye wrote: »
    As someone with an underlying condition there's no way I'd risk it this year.

If I was young and healthy I might.

But the thing only one other person has mentioned here is insurance. Be sure folks that without a doubt NO insurance company will cover you for anything Covid related.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Most people think ah sure I'm going to EU, the EHIC will cover all of us for everything no bother. Perhaps it will. I dunno.

But why do people purchase Travel Insurance in the first place? Could it be something to do with repatriation of a person or their coffin, air ambulance, etc.?

Well I suppose EU is ok if you delete the above caveats, but nowhere else on the planet will cover for CV now. There will be so many opt outs.

Just thinking out loud, don't kill me now.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Most people think ah sure I'm going to EU, the EHIC will cover all of us for everything no bother. Perhaps it will. I dunno.

But why do people purchase Travel Insurance in the first place? Could it be something to do with repatriation of a person or their coffin, air ambulance, etc.?

Well I suppose EU is ok if you delete the above caveats, but nowhere else on the planet will cover for CV now. There will be so many opt outs.

Just thinking out loud, don't kill me now.

Reimbursement for additional travel expenses (hotels and flights) if you get sick abroad is often included in travel insurance policies. These will likely be void if the Department of Foreign Affairs still has a ban in place for international travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'll be heading away for 3 weeks on 1st August as long as no drastic changes.

Fingers crossed quarantine on arrival is finished by late August, i imagine it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

GocRh wrote: »
    Reimbursement for additional travel expenses (hotels and flights) if you get sick abroad is often included in travel insurance policies. These will likely be void if the Department of Foreign Affairs still has a ban in place for international travel.

Indeed. But people are free to make their own choices and check with their Travel Insurance (If they have any) as to what the situation is.

Many people do not have Travel Insurance. That is why (and it is rare I know) crowdfunding and Trusts like the Kevin Bell Trust help people get a loved home.

Not worth the risk for 30 odd quid. But it's the cover nowadays I'd be thinking of re Covid.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/its-about-helping-the-families-founders-of-kevin-bell-repatriation-trust-38013574.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Many people do not have Travel Insurance.
    I would have thought insurance was the norm.
    Those who go on the one week-two weeks family "flight and holiday" in the sun, tend to have insurance as part of the package.
    Those who go on the 'ferry and campsite" holiday with their own car must have insurance, surely.
    And of course those who go on sport holidays, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I'm heading off this weekend to Bavaria and then on Wednesday to South Tyrol in Italy.

Hotels, Restaurants etc are all open again here and the weather is fantastic.

:pac::pac: Can't wait !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

redcup342 wrote: »
    I'm heading off this weekend to Bavaria and then on Wednesday to South Tyrol in Italy.

Via Ireland? Or are you already in Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just booked Lanzarote for August. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I'm thinking of hiking the Atlantic Camino in early-mid September. The one from porto up to Santiago del Compostela. Any word on what the accommodation situation will be like? I know most people don't book anything and just stop off and stay in places just along the trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭dohouch

redcup342 wrote: »

Hotels, Restaurants etc are all open again here and the weather is fantastic.

:pac::pac: Can't wait !!

You sure the Germans, or Austrians will let you in if you don't have "Anmeldung"= official German residence address?

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users Posts: 5 racer1bk

Hello,

I would like to go see my family in Belgium if I can the early as possible but that requires for me to save up money. Thank god, if I can save up sometime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don’t think flying will be an enjoyable experience for the next few months.
    I intend to travel in 2021 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mr.S wrote: »
    I think the flying part will be fine. A mask is all that's required, you'll forget about it after the first 10 mins if you aren't used to them.

I think what's more of a question mark is impact of coronavirus in the place you're going to, and what happens when you return. As it stands now, I personally wouldn't bother traveling abroad if I need to worry about social distancing while going out / dining / drinking, avoiding public transport etc, and then have to self-isolate for 2 weeks when I get back, not worth it IMO. I'd imagine all that will improve fairly quickly though.

The people traveling for pleasure in June / July must really want a break ;)

I hope so, I didn’t get a holiday in 2019 either because a few things cropped up and I just didn’t have a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Huge Ryanair sale.

Just booked Malaga 17th July from Dublin €59.99 one way!

Spain accepting tourists from 1st July, if this changes, or anything happens in the meantime and Ryanair cancel, I'll take the voucher, fair enough!

Free cancellation hotel booking.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Huge Ryanair sale.

Spain accepting tourists from 1st July, if this changes, or anything happens in the meantime and Ryanair cancel, I'll take the voucher, fair enough!

Wouldn’t exactly call that groundbreaking price drops, although I acknowledge it is July.

Anytime you get a European city under €100 return is very good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Huge Ryanair sale.

Considering all that's happened and all they need to do to get consumer confidence again, I find that very high actually

Huge Ryanair sale.

You’ve been absolutely mugged there mayteeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

Can I just ask out of interest....are you living within 20 km of your departure airport?

Huge Ryanair sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Huge Ryanair sale.

Yeah, booked Cork - Lanzarote for end July to mid August for €146 pp excluding extras. As somewhat of a connoisseur of Ryanair prices, I have to say that is VERY good for peak time. Plenty of seats already taken too according to the seat map. Used some of me ****ing vouchers too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Huge Ryanair sale.

Please look in to this, it is my understanding that Malaga is in one of the areas that has been held back a stage by the Spanish government in the reopening, so your 1st July statement may not apply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Please look in to this, it is my understanding that Malaga is in one of the areas that has been held back a stage by the Spanish government in the reopening, so your 1st July statement may not apply.

A number of areas are being held back in current phase but the country is still due to reopen on July 1st. Madrid is currently a greater concern unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

We are waiting on confirmation from a campsite in north Italy for mid August.
    The risk of a holiday in a self catering chalet with the odd spin to a shop (wearing a mask) or outdoor terrace (with fresh air) of a restaurant is minimal. The capacity of the site is being reduced so the pool will be less busy than normal, but even in previous years when the site was flat out , there was plenty of space in the pools.
    We are driving there so again, self contained and only prolonged contact with anyone is within the family .
    This disease doesn’t transmit by magic. It needs conditions like badly aired stuffy rooms where a few can infect many people, or close prolonged contact with an infected person(family or hospital situation). No matter which way you look at it, a summer holiday in the fresh air should be grand
    Btw. I just read that the Bundesliga is considering opening in September for the new season with 2/3 full stadiums, which also illustrates that open air activities are now being considered as reasonably safe, even with crowds of 10s of thousands in one place. (And before anyone mentions Cheltenham or Liverpool or ski resorts, the transmissions there are likely if not proven beyond doubt that they happened indoors with people on the lash in cramped bars, not in the main event outdoors)

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Considering all that's happened and all they need to do to get consumer confidence again, I find that very high actually

It's a great price.

Malaga is usually anywhere between €150-€200 in July.

Spain is reopening from July 1st to tourists.

Haven't heard or seen anything saying Malaga is not included in this, if that's the case, I'll just change my flight to Alicante or Tenerife

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »
    Can I just ask out of interest....are you living within 20 km of your departure airport?

Sorry for writing all these answers seperate guys!

No, I'm not.

I'm expecting these travel restrictions will be eased up by then, as Ryanair are running most of their flights from dublin from July so surely the government will need to clarify that for us.

I can imagine something like 'If you feel safe to travel then you can' statement.

anyway not the end of the world if not, I can just get a voucher/refund for my plane ticket.

Not so much scared to travel as tired of the restrictions, and not keen on spending money to get more of the same in a different place. I will travel again even if this drags on, but it's not a priority to cover a massive distance just to sit on a socially distanced beach. The weather here in Dublin has been lovely and I'm looking forward to a swim in the sea, no passport required :D

Think I'll buy a car in time for a European road trip next summer, if things go well on the job front. One thing I've realised during lockdown is that I really don't miss the airport pantomime. Flying short haul when I could travel overland is something I could see giving up for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I intend to spend time in the south of Ireland as I’ve never been to the Cliffs of Moher or Killarney. I have been checking the hotel prices of late. For the price of 2 nights in some of them I could spend a full week in Portugal, flights inclusive. RIP off Ireland is still alive and kicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Was half thinking of Nice towards the end of August...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭acequion

Huge Ryanair sale.

Those who think that's expensive must have no concept of summer fares because that's a great bargain.

As someone who does the bulk of my travelling June, July and August and almost always within Europe, I would never pay less than a good €200 return, approx €100 a flight and that would be with minimal or no luggage and no extras. For luggage and extras in the summer season the average would be €250-€300 return and you would want to have booked well in advance. So I would consider €59.99 to Malaga in July a steal.

This is probably the time to book to get bargains for July and August but I'm not going to chance booking just yet. But I'm very hopeful I'll be going to Spain at some point in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

Many thanks for your courteous reply. Have a great time!
    Sorry for writing all these answers seperate guys!

No, I'm not.

I'm expecting these travel restrictions will be eased up by then, as Ryanair are running most of their flights from dublin from July so surely the government will need to clarify that for us.

I can imagine something like 'If you feel safe to travel then you can' statement.

anyway not the end of the world if not, I can just get a voucher/refund for my plane ticket.

Huge Ryanair sale.

Same for Lisbon. I think I’ll book a week there and again visit Sintra.

Same for Lisbon. I think I’ll book a week there and again visit Sintra.

Did you like sintra? I wasn’t that impressed at all. Full of Americans and not much going on. The heat was savage intense and the queues to get to the top of the hill were mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No will not travel and neither will my wider family circle. About 50 ppl.

We have no intention of traveling as too many vulnerable ppl we care about.

I would appeal to everyone NOT to travel outside of Ireland until there is a cure for this please so that the risk is kept as low as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Ok... sure thing.:rolleyes:

Do you realise how serious this virus is for ppl especially vulnerable ppl? Spare me your eye rolls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

No. Won’t be travelling abroad or having staycations this year.

'Germany’s travel warning for Europe will be lifted from tomorrow, the foreign minister, Heiko Maas, has just said. “We are preparing the cabinet to pass a decree tomorrow,” he said at a press briefing, writes Kate Connolly, the Guardian’s Berlin correspondent.

The worldwide travel warning still applies, but for the countries of the EU and associated states, the warning will be replaced by travel advice.

This will give travellers detailed information about the situation in each individual state, which should help them to decide where they can plan to go on holiday and which regions they would be advised to avoid, Maas said.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jun/02/coronavirus-live-news-dr-fauci-says-he-hasnt-spoken-to-trump-in-two-weeks-as-pakistanis-told-to-live-with-virus?page=with:block-5ed641538f087122eca540bd#block-5ed641538f087122eca540bd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Do you realise how serious this virus is for ppl especially vulnerable ppl? Spare me your eye rolls

Are you sure it’s concern for the vulnerable? Or do you hope if less people fly that airlines will go bust? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I would appeal to everyone NOT to travel outside of Ireland until there is a cure for this please so that the risk is kept as low as possible.

This drives me wild. Look around Europe. Many EU countries are in a better state than Ireland.

Stay inside. I don’t have to. Your choice. My choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭fran38

Hoping to go to Salou, Spain for the https://cataloniapoolfestival.com/. This happens late October so hopefully things clear up by then.
    Trying to get to Boston because an old friend died two days before travel restrictions came in for the USA.

You could be waiting 20 years for a vaccine. Good luck with that one...

Best thing to do is start getting on with life as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭acequion

Everyone realises how serious this virus is. Many have vulnerable people in their families, many have lost people to the virus and many know people affected by it.It really has been hard time for everyone.

But with all due respect, spare us the hysteria. Stay inside and don't travel if that is what you deem necessary for you and yours. But quit dictating to others!

The virus has been contained, the economy needs salvaging, people's lives need to get back on track, albeit very cautiously. Other countries realise this and have put the supports in place. We need to do likewise here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Quags

I was due to go to Spain in April, Bali/Singapore in a couple of weeks, Pakistan In August & Rome in October. Once travel is allowed and Ireland does not not the 14 day quarantine on return I will be looking at flights away. I have priced places in Ireland for long weekends etc and for what I would pay for a staycation I would get a week away in Spain with warmer weather and cheaper food/drink etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

When is it even possible to start traveling again?

I had flights for April to Singapore, Thailand and Philippines that I want to do this year along with a weekend in Morocco that was scheduled for next week.

I'm also hoping to fly to Austria ASAP to visit a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Will not be travelling this year outside of Ireland.
    Have not decided beyond that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Looking at booking Rome for a few nights this time next month.

Flight and hotel prices are more like October prices now and the city will be less hectic with the expected reduction of travellers.

Will book hotel with free cancellation/deferral also just in case.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Did you like sintra? I wasn’t that impressed at all. Full of Americans and not much going on. The heat was savage intense and the queues to get to the top of the hill were mental

I went in October. It was 30 degrees too. I took the bus tour and had no problems with the queues which were about 40 yards long and moving nicely.
    I really liked the Moors battlements and Pena Palace and gardens.
    I will visit more of the 12 castles next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

acequion wrote: »
    Everyone realises how serious this virus is. Many have vulnerable people in their families, many have lost people to the virus and many know people affected by it.It really has been hard time for everyone.

But with all due respect, spare us the hysteria. Stay inside and don't travel if that is what you deem necessary for you and yours. But quit dictating to others!

The virus has been contained, the economy needs salvaging, people's lives need to get back on track, albeit very cautiously. Other countries realise this and have put the supports in place. We need to do likewise here.

Our economy would benefit significantly more if Irish people had their holiday in Ireland.

It’s interesting reading some of the “virus has been contained” comments, what does this mean exactly? It’s not contained because we don’t actually know the majority of people (asymptotic) who have it , it’s just not as high as it was. We know more now then we did 4 months ago but is “going back to normalcy” the prudent approach based on best science/medical grounds or just the approach that’s most popular?

Somebody said earlier that Irish hotels are expensive, look at houses and cottages for rent, they are very affordable in Kerry etc. People really will find ways to justify what they want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Drumpot wrote: »
    Our economy would benefit significantly more if Irish people had their holiday in Ireland.

Somebody said earlier that Irish hotels are expensive, look at houses and cottages for rent, they are very affordable in Kerry etc. People really will find ways to justify what they want to do.

With the 5k, 20k limits, 2m social distance, cafe/restaurant/pubs not being opened. These are the nails in the coffin for domestic tourism in 2020 and probably 2021 also.

An RTE reporter travelled in a camper van around the West of Ireland for PT last night, he was met with Ghost-towns, and evil eyes from locals who were outside, and suspicious of any non-locals. Aran Islands still closed to all outsiders without specific authorisation from the nearest Garda station.

14 day quarantine for all arrivals to Dublin Airport.

So with all that said the 2020 tourist season is gone for Ireland, by the end of the Lockdown in August most people who are still lucky enough to have a job will be getting ready to go back to work, and families to send children back to School.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement