Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Won’t be commenting on the obvious trolls post

I don't think acequion is the troll on this thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dante7 wrote: »
    If anyone is tempted to travel to Spain in July, as well as the Aer Lingus €128 return flights to Lanzarote, Ryanair have €40 return flights to Menorca on some of their flights in July.

Tempted? Already booked! :p

Well Ryanair anyway. Aer Lingus haven’t updated their schedule yet afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

faceman wrote: »
    Tempted? Already booked! :p

Well Ryanair anyway. Aer Lingus haven’t updated their schedule yet afaik

Me too. Lanzarote 1st JULY. Princess Yaiza 5* Hotel. Sports car rental for the week. All for about one third of normal. At these prices I think I'll grab another week in Menirca at the end of summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

My Ryanair flights to Spain Aug 3 have just been cancelled, I'm very disappointed as only yesterday they emailed me of a flight time change. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

IrishHomer wrote: »
    My Ryanair flights to Spain Aug 3 have just been cancelled, I'm very disappointed as only yesterday they emailed me of a flight time change. :(

They’re doing what they did for July and reducing the flight schedule by cancelling travel on certain days. You should be able to rebook for another day at no extra cost

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭spuddy90

Hopefully get away in early or late August. Belguim on the cards. Have family there on the coast and they seem to be getting back to normal already with bars and restaurants re opened

Faro is also cheap with Aer Lingus. €40 each way. I think I'll grab a week there aw well at the end of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

My concern is for my family and friends with various underlying issues such as

Chronic Cancer
    Down’s syndrome
    Heart issue
    Asthma
    CF
    ME
    Chronic disease

Maybe just MAYBE you should “catch yourself on mate”

dont fly then simple, dont even leave the house in fact if this worries you that much

HBC08 wrote: »
    Where are you getting the plane would be 3/4 empty from? I go to Portugal every September from knock,all the flights are sold out this year.

well i would assume my flight to the UK in 2 weeks will be about 20% full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭acequion

Harris makes me laugh going on about staycations,he's so patronising! Now each to his own, but there are few things that I would hate more than being on a so called summer holiday in the kind of weather we had today. And probably paying way over the odds as well. This time of year warm weather is a must on my holiday bucket list, and if I can't have that then I'd prefer to be working. And I'm sure not the only northern European who feels like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Me too. Lanzarote 1st JULY. Princess Yaiza 5* Hotel. Sports car rental for the week. All for about one third of normal. At these prices I think I'll grab another week in Menirca at the end of summer.

I'm hanging on a bit longer before I book. Hoping to have the 14 day quarantine removed first. I know it's not mandatory but work would make me. As soon as that's sorted I will be on the booking train

Happy about the prospect of EU borders coming down in june. The missus and I are planning flying to Belgium, renting a car and going on a road trip for a couple of weeks in mid July. Not a camper, but an SUV big enough that we can sleep in it at a pinch. Through Germany, down to see family in Lucerne, perhaps into the Czech Republic if we fancy it, and then looping back up through France. Staying anywhere we fancy. My partner has fluent German, I have fluentish French. Will be great to be moving around again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Happy about the prospect of EU borders coming down in june. The missus and I are planning flying to Belgium, renting a car and going on a road trip for a couple of weeks in mid July. Not a camper, but an SUV big enough that we can sleep in it at a pinch. Through Germany, down to see family in Lucerne, perhaps into the Czech Republic if we fancy it, and then looping back up through France. Staying anywhere we fancy. My partner has fluent German, I have fluentish French. Will be great to be moving around again

Sounds fab. Ferry booked since last September, 3 weeks into and out of Bilbao, and now pushed out until late July.
    Dying to travel around the Basque Country in our motorhome.

I'm hanging on a bit longer before I book. Hoping to have the 14 day quarantine removed first. I know it's not mandatory but work would make me. As soon as that's sorted I will be on the booking train

I'm pretty much the same. I would normally do loads of travelling in the summer period but this year I'd be happy with one trip to Spain. Though in this weather I find myself fantasizing about two, but I can't really see that happening.

And before some fanatic jumps on me, I'll be going alone, to my own place and pretty much keeping to myself while there. I'll be using a mask and social distancing when out in public and on the way there and back, so the chances of me catching the virus are pretty low.

But the quarantine is clearly a big deterrent. I could do it once but not twice which is why I'll be happy to just do the one trip. But not booking anything until things are a bit clearer.

Government is talking about those airbridges thing in the media today and they’re excluding Spain and Italy for now even though many of the holiday regions there have better virus stats than Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Government is talking about those airbridges thing in the media today and they’re excluding Spain and Italy for now even though many of the holiday regions there have better virus stats than Ireland

Again these discussions are late and pointless

Europe will be open for all EU in July and air bridges with third countries will then be under discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I noticed this too, surely the Balearics and Canarys should be included.

I noticed this too, surely the Balearics and Canarys should be included.

They will be, as will all of the EU. The people will decide again and the government will follow their lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Europe is opening from July regardless of what our government says or does and Ireland will follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭fm

Looking on the Aer lingus site and you can't book flights until the 17th of august from Cork or Shannon now to most destinations in Europe,Dublin seems to be still from the 1st of July mainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Lisbon for Oct mid term looking very tempting. 4 flights for under €500. Still would be nice n warm..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Europe is opening from July regardless of what our government says or does and Ireland will follow suit.

The big question is if quarantine will still be 'required' for those returning to Ireland.
    Current rules are set to be reviewed on the 15th of June, which coincidentally is the day when most EU countries will re-open for European travelers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Western Europe looking pricey for a long term stay (60-90 days)

Any signs that Slovenia and other parts of Eastern Europe will open to Ireland by mid July?

GocRh wrote: »
    The big question is if quarantine will still be 'required' for those returning to Ireland.
    Current rules are set to be reviewed on the 15th of June, which coincidentally is the day when most EU countries will re-open for European travelers.

i thought it was the 18th June when they review it?

regardless i need to know soon as im flying week after next and havent booked a flight back yet, if you still need to self isolate for 2 weeks then ive a night,mare long journey from Liverpool to Belfast overnight ferry then bus to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

We're considering somewhere in the Algarve for late July. My other half is being forced to use annual leave but it seems like a waste just to stay home. If we can't get abroad we will go down the country somewhere.

We were supposed to me married in earlier in the year and in the Dominican Republic for a honeymoon in May, that all fell apart so we are mad to get away somewhere.

• Advertisement

Planning on flying to Florida in December for a cousins wedding. Will be booking the flights the next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

With some areas in Ireland seeming to rise the hotel prices, a trip to mainland Europe will have to be on the cards for me this year.

The one year that it would be suited to stay in Ireland and we are going to get hit by price rises instead. Nice way to entice us to stay. 100e per person per night for a few nights in Kerry in Autumn, before paying for food or drink? Scandalous.

FitzShane wrote: »
    With some areas in Ireland seeming to rise the hotel prices, a trip to mainland Europe will have to be on the cards for me this year.

The one year that it would be suited to stay in Ireland and we are going to get hit by price rises instead. Nice way to entice us to stay. 100e per person per night for a few nights in Kerry in Autumn, before paying for food or drink? Scandalous.

Lunacy :mad::mad: They really can shove their staycation. I'll staycation in my own house til I can get abroad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Kerry and Clare hotels were charging e100+ 2 years ago with/without breakfast per person/couple.Easily e125-150 this year off season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Try a holiday over a bank holiday or either wkend b4 or after and make that e160-180-200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭no.8

Dante7 wrote:
    They will be, as will all of the EU. The people will decide again and the government will follow their lead.

That they may but the virus doesnt care who decides what. Tbh ill likely be flying as well as a necessity. Not looking forward to it as i usually would. We likely will get a nasty outcome if all restrictions are eased at once. Don't care if we're all frustrated, the govt. are handling this well imo (in general).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Friend with whom I always travel with is up for traveling to Sicily in July - great deals for accommodation/flights there. Would love to go but not really sure though - my older parents are living with me. If they were not living with me I probably would go. This time last year I was in Milan/Lake Garda - have things really improved in Italy?

no.8 wrote: »
    That they may but the virus doesnt care who decides what. Tbh ill likely be flying as well as a necessity. Not looking forward to it as i usually would. We likely will get a nasty outcome if all restrictions are eased at once. Don't care if we're all frustrated, the govt. are handling this well imo (in general).

That’s fair comment. Other countries who opened earlier in Europe are not seeing nasty outcomes so the signs are positive so far

why have my posts been deleted :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Snapgal wrote: »
    Friend with whom I always travel with is up for traveling to Sicily in July - great deals for accommodation/flights there. Would love to go but not really sure though - my older parents are living with me. If they were not living with me I probably would go. This time last year I was in Milan/Lake Garda - have things really improved in Italy?

The virus is practically gone in Italy, at least until the winter, and Sicily was never that much affected in the first place.
    I think you'll be fine...

edit just for a source on the bold

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-says-idUSKBN2370OQ

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

Is it not mandatory?

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Is it not mandatory?

It's not even mandatory now, let alone in July. Airbridges will be established within the EU for the end of this month and travel should be fine for July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Snapgal wrote: »

I’ve been in Italy for the past 10 days, drove down from Germany via Austria, spent a few days at lake Garda as well. Was in Genova, then made our way along the coast towards France hitting a few small towns and beaches.

Absolutely lovely, things are even better here than in Germany. The hospitals are pretty empty now and in Genoa they were packing up the inflatable triage tent out the front.

Would recommend going sooner rather than later before the tourists are back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

redcup342 wrote: »
    I’ve been in Italy for the past 10 days, drove down from Germany via Austria, spent a few days at lake Garda as well. Was in Genova, then made our way along the coast towards France hitting a few small towns and beaches.

Absolutely lovely, things are even better here than in Germany. The hospitals are pretty empty now and in Genoa they were packing up the inflatable triage tent out the front.

Are there any intra EU border checks and what passport were you travelling on, Irish or German?

redcup342 wrote: »

Agree with this. It is an opportunity rather than something to fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

My wife loves travelling and holidays. I hate it. Long may the flights stay grounded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

It's not even mandatory now, let alone in July. Airbridges will be established within the EU for the end of this month and travel should be fine for July.

Where will the airbridges be with though? Leo seemed to exclude Italy and Spain when he mentioned them recently

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

The eu are recommending eu borders to open on June 15th to other EU states. Looks good for summer holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

josip wrote: »
    Are there any intra EU border checks and what passport were you travelling on, Irish or German?

There are no checks going to Italy but from Italy to Austria you need a reason to cross the border (Work/Transit/Resident/Visiting Family)

Italy opened their border on the 4th, Neighboring countries open on the 15th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Proudly staying put in Ireland this year for a few reasons

Prefer to spend money in the Irish economy
    English speaking location
    Better food and drink options mainly
    Prefer to stay here while C19 is killing hundreds of thousands so far and until a vaccine is found
    Out of solidarity with vulnerable family and friends

Have a groups of friends and family all signed up to stay cation this year - 96 ppl and counting.

All we need is the weather to play ball now!

For anyone travelling abroad I beg you to reconsider until a vaccine is found BUT if you insist on non essential travel then follow the 14 day quarantine guidelines when back in the jurisdiction - don’t bring the R number back up due to non essential travel !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

jonnny68 wrote: »
    well i would assume my flight to the UK in 2 weeks will be about 20% full.

Have a look at the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Proudly staying put in Ireland this year for a few reasons

Prefer to spend money in the Irish economy
    English speaking location
    Better food and drink options mainly
    Prefer to stay here while C19 is killing hundreds of thousands so far and until a vaccine is found
    Out of solidarity with vulnerable family and friends

Have a groups of friends and family all signed up to stay cation this year - 96 ppl and counting.

All we need is the weather to play ball now!

For anyone travelling abroad I beg you to reconsider until a vaccine is found BUT if you insist on non essential travel then follow the 14 day quarantine guidelines when back in the jurisdiction - don’t bring the R number back up due to non essential travel !

The 14 day quarantine is no use as they cant enforce it. Also I would stay here but everywere is after putting prices up by alot. One place we usually go is over a grand dearer than usual. No thanks. Going to lanzarote on august 1st for a week

I posted this in another thread on travel but sharing here for info too.

Some interesting developments in Europe that hasn't been reported in the Irish media today. Picked this up in a Spanish newspaper this evening.

Ylva Johnson wants borders open as soon as possible with 30th June the deadline being set to get free movement in the EU back up and running. The reopening is endorsed by the European Center for Disease Control (ECDC), which sees no reason to keep the lock on the abrupt drop in the numbers of infections and deaths. "In the last 14 days, except in some regions, the EU has reported less than 100 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants."

Proposals have been sent to all member states. While ultimately the decision lies with each country, pressure to return to a travel normality is mounting. Brussels has also set out 3 criteria that must be met for non EU countries to be admitted entry.

While Ireland hasn't been singled out, the commission listed 9 countries that don't have border restrictions as of 5th June; Italy, Greece, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Slovenia and Sweden, which means the commission considers quarantine to be a barrier to movement.

Regarding nations who dont have the virus situation in hand:
    "Denmark and Norway maintain their veto on Swedish tourism, where covid-19 has hit with much greater power due to its controversial strategy of do not confine the population . Brussels understands that differential treatment now, but does not support its extension beyond June. The same is true of the United Kingdom, a major tourist issuer, another country where the virus is more active for taking delayed measures."

The 14 day quarantine is no use as they cant enforce it. Also I would stay here but everywere is after putting prices up by alot. One place we usually go is over a grand dearer than usual. No thanks. Going to lanzarote on august 1st for a week

I would absolutely agree about price gouging in Ireland this summer. It is certainly going to be cheaper to go abroad. The 14 day quarantine doesn’t bother me as am working from home

(I don’t know that I would lock myself in the house, but I would be much more sensible, socially distanced and isolated that I might otherwise be for that 14 days, if it is still in place beyond July)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

People have to take self responsibility re the quarantine.

I have vulnerable family and friends and wouldn’t wish the virus on my worst enemy hence I follow the advice and take responsibility for my own behavior. Part of this is NO non essential travel. It’s not rocket science.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement