Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Proudly staying put in Ireland this year for a few reasons

Prefer to spend money in the Irish economy
    English speaking location
    Better food and drink options mainly
    Prefer to stay here while C19 is killing hundreds of thousands so far and until a vaccine is found
    Out of solidarity with vulnerable family and friends

Have a groups of friends and family all signed up to stay cation this year - 96 ppl and counting.

All we need is the weather to play ball now!

For anyone travelling abroad I beg you to reconsider until a vaccine is found BUT if you insist on non essential travel then follow the 14 day quarantine guidelines when back in the jurisdiction - don’t bring the R number back up due to non essential travel !

I presume that you and your 96 family/friends will heed the 14 day quarantine advice on your return from your travels around Ireland?

People have to take self responsibility re the quarantine.

I have vulnerable family and friends and wouldn’t wish the virus on my worst enemy hence I follow the advice and take responsibility for my own behavior. Part of this is NO non essential travel. It’s not rocket science.

Air bridges are being built with countries that have the same R number or lower so the risk of spread going to other countries is no more risky than touring Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Proudly staying put in Ireland this year for a few reasons

Prefer to spend money in the Irish economy
    English speaking location
    Better food and drink options mainly
    Prefer to stay here while C19 is killing hundreds of thousands so far and until a vaccine is found
    Out of solidarity with vulnerable family and friends

Have a groups of friends and family all signed up to stay cation this year - 96 ppl and counting.

All we need is the weather to play ball now!

A hell of a lot more money by the looks of it.

canaries full of english speaking people, same with most spanish resorts

better food at near twice the price alright, drink depends on what you drink

A lot less cases in the canaries and 151 deaths....safer there than here if you ask me....the airport probably the biggest risk.
    Just wait till the pubs reopen here...there'll be a free for all and they should remain closed until the deadline above any other business.

I hope you get the weather though! pretty miserable staycation if you don't.
    I won't have that problem in gran canaria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I presume that you and your 96 family/friends will heed the 14 day quarantine advice on your return from your travels around Ireland?

Yes that’s the plan

mailburner wrote: »
    A hell of a lot more money by the looks of it.

canaries full of english speaking people, same with most spanish resorts

better food at near twice the price alright, drink depends on what you drink

A lot less cases in the canaries and 151 deaths....safer there than here if you ask me....the airport probably the biggest risk.
    Just wait till the pubs reopen here...there'll be a free for all and they should remain closed until the deadline above any other business.

I hope you get the weather though! pretty miserable staycation if you don't.
    I won't have that problem in gran canaria

Off topic but Gran Canaria not my scene was there once -never again

but Just once quarantine when you come back - the country as a whole does NOT need ppl going on non essential travel and re introducing the virus back into the country.

• Advertisement

Off topic but Gran Canaria not my scene was there once -never again

but Just once quarantine when you come back - the country as a whole does NOT need ppl going on non essential travel and re introducing the virus back into the country.

The virus is in the country, it’s not going anywhere for now.

The virus is in the country, it’s not going anywhere for now.

Thanks micky My point is exactly that. We need to suppress. Not re introduce through non essential travel here there and everywhere. Which is why I’m proudly staying here for the foreseeable.

No cheap sun holiday is worth the health and well-being of my family my friends and wider community

Thanks micky My point is exactly that. We need to suppress. Not re introduce through non essential travel here there and everywhere. Which is why I’m proudly staying here for the foreseeable.

No sun holiday is worth the health and well-being of my family my friends and wider community

But you are not getting the point either. It’s not safe to be travelling around ireland on staycations either. Anyway you can’t introduce something that’s already here .

But you are not getting the point either. It’s not safe to be travelling around ireland on staycations either. Anyway you can’t introduce something that’s already here .

I’d take my chances in Ireland over foreign travel it’s called being an adult and taking self responsibility for not spreading the virus through non essential travel. But if ppl insist on leaving the country then quarantine for 14 days and just hope you don’t re introduce it to our society here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Don’t bring the R number back up due to non essential travel !
    Yes that’s the plan
    Not re introduce through non essential travel here there and everywhere.

But your 96 person staycation around Ireland will also be non essential travel.
    Can you see anything contradictory/hypocritical in your posts?

• Advertisement

I’d take my chances in Ireland over foreign travel it’s called being an adult and taking self responsibility for not spreading the virus through non essential travel. But if ppl insist on leaving the country then quarantine for 14 days and just hope you don’t re introduce it to our society here.

I have no intention flying until next year but you are talking Shyte. You realise Johnny from Dublin with a cough hops on a bus and decides to go to Galway for a week coughing and sneezing all the way. You get the picture.

Yeah i well believe 96 of ye doing 2 week quarantine.

josip wrote: »
    But your 96 person staycation around Ireland will also be non essential travel.
    Can you see anything contradictory/hypocritical in your posts?

The 96 is now 113 and counting and in case u misunderstand they are family friends and acquaintinces who are NOT travelling abroad this year. Just to be crystal clear it’s not a big group holiday. It’s just individuals saying no to foreign travel - No intention until a vaccine is found.

The 96 is now 113 and counting and in case u misunderstand they are family friends and acquaintinces who are NOT travelling abroad this year. Just to be crystal clear it’s not a big group holiday. It’s just individuals saying no to foreign travel - No intention until a vaccine is found.

So potentially 113 spreading it around Ireland, yeah ok.

Just for anyone who does decide to travel abroad for non essential travel

PLEASE do the quarantine for 14 days when u are back in the country - for the sake of the vulnerable/sick/elderly/special needs in the community who do NOT deserve to catch the bastard of a virus off anyone re introducing it into this country

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

PLEASE do the quarantine for 14 days when u are back in the country - for the sake of the vulnerable/sick/elderly/special needs in the community who do NOT deserve to catch the bastard of a virus off anyone re introducing it into this country

I’m going to Spain at the end of July and I’ll enjoy every minute of it.

I probably won’t self isolate once I’m back.

I’m going to Spain at the end of July and I’ll enjoy every minute of it.

Quarantine travel restrictions are currently in place until June 18. No word yet on extending it

I doubt there will be quarantine requirements in August and beyond anyway, so is an irrelevance. Absent a resurgence in the virus (in which case all bets are off) there will be quarantine free travel all around Europe soon enough, and I don’t see Ireland standing alone and isolating itself from that (and there’ll be additional EU pressure on Ireland to ditch the rule)

my hol is paid for and even if I wanted I can't cancel so thats as close to essential as there is for me

If a canary island resident was coming to Ireland It's obvious the threat of bringing it back to their home is far greater.

I'm going to a place with a fraction of the amount of cases that we have.
    I think you have a case of tunnel vision :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

Who gives a s**t about your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

I'm going on august 1st for a week and will be straight back to work so no quarantine for me either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You’re going on holiday in Ireland and encouraging 113 people as a mob to do the same. You’re potentially spreading the virus to areas that don’t have issues if you currently reside in Dublin

You should seriously reconsider your immoral behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

It sounds more like being incapable of critical thinking. You are going on holiday in Ireland which is non-essential travel. I am going on holiday to the Canaries, which is also non-essential, but my destination has a lower rate of covid than your destination. There is a greater chance of you encountering and catching the virus than me.

To clarify just in case it needs to be spelled out clearly for some boardsies - I am NOT planning to go on holidays with over 100 ppl.

My suspicion is that some are willfully misinterpreting the details for some reason....hmmm....

My point is that within my circle of friends family and acquaintances over 100 ppl st this stage have confirmed they will be following the advice and NOT taking non essential travel outside this country until a vaccine is found.

They have no intention of non essential travel or holidays outside the country until this is under control.

This is done in solidarity with the more vulnerable members of the community

I call upon all who are travelling outside the state to self isolation for 14 days on their return.

Take it seriously. Be an adult about it.

There are thousands of more vulnerable citizens in society depending on YOUR actions and YOUR behavior. Who knows, maybe some one who you know is in the vulnerable category?

We are in a war with this virus and everyone has to be accountable for their own behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

To clarify just in case it needs to be spelled out clearly for some boardsies - I am NOT planning to go on holidays with over 100 ppl.

My suspicion is that some are willfully misinterpreting the details for some reason....hmmm....

My point is that within my circle of friends family and acquaintances over 100 ppl st this stage have confirmed they will be following the advice and NOT taking non essential travel outside this country until a vaccine is found.

They have no intention of non essential travel or holidays outside the country until this is under control.

I call upon all who are travelling outside the state to self isolation for 14 days on their return.

There are thousands of more vulnerable citizens in society depending on YOUR actions and YOUR behavior. Who knows, maybe some one who you know is in the vulnerable category?

We are in a war with this virus and everyone has to be accountable for their own behavior.

Why would anyone take your advice? You haven't a notion what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

no.8 wrote: »
    Who gives a s**t about your holiday.

Me fein. Vamos Espana.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭gibsmedat

I was due to be going to Malta next Friday,cancelled obviously.

I highly doubt ill travel while social distancing is still required, going on holidays to q to get into shops, restaurants etc doesnt really seem worthwhile and massively takes away from the holiday experience.

don’t bring the R number back up due to non essential travel !

Very confusing altogether, so it's ok for over 100 of you to meet up somewhere in Ireland but not for others to go abroad especially to places with much fewer cases? That makes no sense at all!

You're taking it for granted a stay cation is safe and a vacation abroad is more risky regardless of facts

Please be accountable for your own behaviour!

You should be an adult about this going on holiday here with such a large group of peoople.
    It's very irresponsible to say the least!

That is very commendable of you and your friends, committing to not leaving these shores for potentially a couple of years. I, personally, will not wait for a vaccine before I travel, and nor will tens of thousands of others when one considers how far away a vaccine could be.The EU will be treated as a single travel block, with no quarantine within its borders, long before a vaccine arrives, and there will be no rational health reason to not travel within the EU/CTA/EEA

I agree that to travel to the USA or S America, for example, is very different, and quarantine I am sure will remain for arrivals from those areas into the EU for a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Are you taking a holiday in this country ?

• Advertisement

mailburner wrote: »
    Very confusing altogether, so it's ok for over 100 of you to meet up somewhere in Ireland but not for others to go abroad especially to places with much fewer cases? That makes no sense at all!

You're taking it for granted a stay cation is safe and a vacation abroad is more risky regardless of facts

Please be accountable for your own behaviour!

You should be an adult about this going on holiday here with such a large group of peoople.
    It's very irresponsible to say the least!

Refer to my previous post. I know well what you are at and it ain’t working

Maybe you should explain to some of the posters on this thread your real thoughts on aviation as a whole. Wasn’t it you that wants to see Dublin airport “ wound down” lol. Your posts will then become clear and less confusing and they might just ignore your rambling posts, problem solved ;-)

Maybe you should explain to some of the posters on this thread your real thoughts on aviation as a whole. Wasn’t it you that wants to see Dublin airport “ wound down” lol. Your posts will then become clear and less confusing and they might just ignore your rambling posts, problem solved ;-)

Yes that’s a separate issue to this.

But as you ask and again I am conscious that we are going off topic - the aviation industry in this country should be wound down as much as possible until a C-neutral solution is adopted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

But as you ask and again I am conscious that we are going off topic - the aviation industry in this country should be wound down as much as possible until a C-neutral solution is adopted.

Correct me if I’m wrong but was it not you who during Storm Ophelia (I think?) was absolutely adamant that no government advice was going to keep you indoors? I believe either you or a friend of yours was planning to take their daily swim in the local river and “**** what the man says”

Apologies if I’m confusing you with someone else but name rings a bell. If it was you why was that government advice different to this?

FWIW I don’t totally disagree with your viewpoint. If there is no quarantine upon return I will look at travelling. If there is I won’t bother. I’m happy to listen to experts and government advice.

Collie D wrote: »
    Correct me if I’m wrong but was it not you who during Storm Ophelia (I think?) was absolutely adamant that no government advice was going to keep you indoors? I believe either you or a friend of yours was planning to take their daily swim in the local river and “**** what the man says”

Apologies if I’m confusing you with someone else but name rings a bell. If it was you why was that government advice different to this?

FWIW I don’t totally disagree with your viewpoint. If there is no quarantine upon return I will look at travelling. If there is I won’t bother. I’m happy to listen to experts and government advice.

Nope - it was a friend of mine who blatantly refused to follow the advice. He went for a swim in the river to prove his point. I found his behavior regrettable. I’m out of contact with him for ages but I’d say it to him no problem.

all the above was taken from your previous post

so you won't even admit that you and 100+ others are going on a vacation in Irelend despite you saying so and that in itself isn't irresponsible.
    It's one rule for you and a different for others!

You could at least try and reply and stop going around in circles here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

It's as non essential to holiday in ireland as to go foreign so keep your opinions to your self about how the rest of us should spend our summer holidays. If the eu says to open wait for the Irish government to cancel the quarantine. Bring on august 1st

It’s not off topic it’s relevent. You’re happy to spread it around Ireland but dead against someone flying to a low risk country incase they bring back a virus that’s already here. People on the thread need to know the real reason for your objection to flying and not use the virus as an excuse, just sayin’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Jaysus

Can those of you bickering please feck off to the many threads you can do it in here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1865

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes let's keep this threat on track.

I am hoping to visit Slovenia at the end of July for 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

I can see why this issue is causing some rumpus here as its probably a sensitive issue for people who have underlying health conditions or are in contact with relatives who are elderly.

We were due to fly to Costa Del Sol next week but the flights were cancelled by RyanAir and we received vouchers. We only had a €40 deposit on the hotel and we are trying to get that back but it was non refundable so I'm not sure we will. I had paid for travel insurance in early March but was surprised to hear that I could move the dates to August provided we moved them before the original date of travel. The policy also has all the conditions as before and doesn't appear to have restrictions for Covid-19 which all new policies now seem to have (the operator in the insurance company told me so but I will have to read the terms and conditions of the new policy in detail to be sure as they are quite long).

Have paid for flights to Portugal for 10 days in early August. There were good prices going and we able to use one of our vouchers from Ryan Air and actually paid less than the original flights in June. Flights have gone up since so some people must be booking flights. Portugal has dealt with Covid-19 better than Spain and has reported less deaths than Ireland. We need two passports for our daughters but the passport office is now operating again and we have been given a date of 21st June so I was happy to book flights when I saw the passport office is opening again.

I think the 14 day quarantine period and recommendation on non essential travel will have to be changed. The government is probably trying to keep the virus numbers down as much as possible but Leo has said in recent days that Ireland will have to open its borders again as other EU countries open and because we have a border with the North. The fact that they opened the passport office shows that they expect people to travel again and if they didn't want anyone to travel this summer, they shouldn't have opened the passport office again (for non essential travel anyway). There is also the issue that many people have booked holidays but if they travel while the current travel restrictions are in place, a lot of travel insurance policies won't cover them if taken out since the restrictions came into place.

Some people will say we are taking a chance with our lives but you have to look at the numbers who have died here in Ireland. On Central Statistics website, per 1420 confirmed deaths up to 5th June, 85 aged 45-64, 397 aged between 65-79 and 921 aged 80 plus. A lot of people who died had underlying health conditions. The government needs to change the travel advice that anyone with an underlying health condition and anyone over 65 shouldn't travel and let the rest of people make up their own minds. I'm pretty sure there is going to be plenty of nurses, guards etc. looking to get away in July and August after what they've been through and a staycation with the rain pissing down on you just doesn't cut it.

• Advertisement

I am hoping to visit Slovenia at the end of July for 4 weeks.

Sounds great

Has Slovenia or similar lifted bans yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

Germany in July. Maybe Denmark, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Sounds great

Has Slovenia or similar lifted bans yet?

They've opened their borders to 17 countries but Ireland isn't on the list.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/slovenia-opens-borders-for-travellers-from-17-countries/

VG31 wrote: »
    They've opened their borders to 17 countries but Ireland isn't on the list.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/slovenia-opens-borders-for-travellers-from-17-countries/

Is Ireland really not being viewed as safe as some of these listed below? Or are they doing a Portugal and thinking "Republic Of Ireland = UK"?

The government has issued a decree, which is valid from June 8, and permits entry for the nationals of the following 17 countries considered as epidemiologically safe:
    • Austria
    • Bulgaria
    • Cyprus
    • Czech Republic
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Iceland
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Liechtenstein
    • Norway
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • Switzerland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EU to open internal borders from 1 July

Balkans opened from 15 July

Get the suncream supplies ready ....can't wait to have a 5 euro Heineken party can on my Ryanair flight to Maribor

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Is Ireland really not being viewed as safe as some of these listed below? Or are they doing a Portugal and thinking "Republic Of Ireland = UK"?

Possibly but Denmark isn't there either despite having a low number of cases.

Balkans opened from 15 July

Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Romania, Serbia, and Slovenia are all open to Irish from July 15th?

Croatia is already open to Irish. Direct flights to Zagreb are resuming with Croatia Airlines next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

They usually refer to the non-EU Balkan countries as the Western Balkans and as I understand it the EU is recommending opening up the EU to those countries on that date.
    Which in most cases would be reciprocated by those countries, if they're not already open.

Sounds like the voting for a non musical Eurovision Song Contest

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement