Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Bulgaria will remain closed to Irish tourists indefinitely

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I see TUI have cancelled all holidays until mid July now.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Is Ireland really not being viewed as safe as some of these listed below? Or are they doing a Portugal and thinking "Republic Of Ireland = UK"?

Ireland is not a Schengen country!

Now that the UK is no longer part of the EU
    Maybe Ireland should seek Schengen membership...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

d15ude wrote: »
    Ireland is not a Schengen country!

Neither is Bulgaria, yet they were still on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Bulgaria will remain closed to Irish tourists indefinitely

Absolutely no loss there. Unless you're one of the crazies who bought a "bargain" apartment in Sunny Beach in the early 2000s

The Celtic Tiger years were strange times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭acequion

It's not looking like we'll get any green light to travel any time soon, the lunatic fringe and staycation wannabes will be delighted.:(

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-air-bridge-leo-varadkar-5121464-Jun2020/

As I have no intention of spending the summer in this wet, windy and hugely over priced country I think I'll bite the bullet and book a week in Spain in early July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

acequion wrote: »
    It's not looking like we'll get any green light to travel any time soon, the lunatic fringe and staycation wannabes will be delighted.:(

As I have no intention of spending the summer in this wet, windy and hugely over priced country I think I'll bite the bullet and book a week in Spain in early July.

The quarantine requirement here will be lifted by the time you return. As long as Spain allow you in without quarantine in early July, (and they have announced that they will), then you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Glad to report that the Taoiseach has directed people not to leave Ireland for the purposes of tourism or leisure. Proper order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Great time to visit Venice without it being mobbed.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »

Why do you call the govt the lunatic fringe? Do you have some extra information on c19 virus that we need to know?

Glad to report that the Taoiseach has directed people not to leave Ireland for the purposes of tourism or leisure. Proper order

He can "direct" all he likes. Until its law people will do as they please

He can "direct" all he likes. Until its law people will do as they please

I wouldn’t bet against it becoming law if this is attitude some have

What attitude?

You really are better fecking off here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058057467

Your negativity stands out in this thread

What attitude?

You really are better fecking off here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058057467

Your negativity stands out in this thread

Sorry now but It’s realism not negativity

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

I would!

"Citizens have constitutional rights and human rights as EU citizens, which means they are free to travel, work and study anywhere in the European Union, he said."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not so glad the he didn't tackle the issue properly! Ryanair will be still running flights that a lot of us have already paid for.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Great time to visit Venice without it being mobbed.

Hopefully. The travel vlogs I've seen of it look like it's the most touristy city in all of Europe

Or maybe a draw with Rome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Do you have something against people enjoying tourism or leisure?
    I wouldn’t get too excited about the grounded planes as it will be only temporary, by July air bridges will be built with Europe.

He hasn’t said anything new at all. There are still plenty of flights to be booked, and easy access to Europe through the UK if necessary. I’m off on my road trip at the end of July irrespective of what Leo says

He hasn’t said anything new at all. There are still plenty of flights to be booked, and easy access to Europe through the UK if necessary. I’m off on my road trip at the end of July irrespective of what Leo says

Slightly off topic but related, i hope to hop on the ferry to France for a road trip in September. If things keep going the way they are should be no reason not to that goes for european flights too.

• Advertisement

Hopefully. The travel vlogs I've seen of it look like it's the most touristy city in all of Europe

Or maybe a draw with Rome

Paris would be my pick. without the hordes it will be wonderful. Accompanied by a road trip around France

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Do you have something against people enjoying tourism or leisure?
    I wouldn’t get too excited about the grounded planes as it will be only temporary, by July air bridges will be built with Europe.

The only thing I have “against” ppl travelling is that I want the c19 virus eradicated from Ireland and I certainly don’t want ppl reintroducing it back here due to unnecessary travel

The only thing I have “against” ppl travelling is that I want the c19 virus eradicated from Ireland and I certainly don’t want ppl reintroducing it back here due to unnecessary travel

Once again it can’t be reintroduced here because it’s already here. Secondly you and your mates going around Ireland potentially reintroducing the virus to counties that have eradicated it, so remember that.

I thought we established that your actual reason was that you want Dublin airport wound down and flights stopped for environmental reasons. And that COVID is a convenient excuse to push that agenda. Because some of our EU neighbours pose no more of a threat to infection that a trip down the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭acequion

Why do you call the govt the lunatic fringe? Do you have some extra information on c19 virus that we need to know?

Jeez some people are so thick they don't feel something when they get it right between the eyes.:rolleyes:

So actually no, though I'm no fan of this Govt, my lunatic fringe remark was not aimed at them. I wonder who on earth on this thread it might be aimed at??? :confused::confused:

And you'd want to modify your wishful thinking vocabulary a little, because Varadkar, aware that he's presiding over a free country, has not "DIRECTED people NOT TO leave Ireland" He has simply advised against non essential travel. BIG difference.

And in a free country citizens will follow or not follow his advice as they think fit.

I thought we established that your actual reason was that you want Dublin airport wound down and flights stopped for environmental reasons. And that COVID is a convenient excuse to push that agenda. Because some of our EU neighbours pose no more of a threat to infection that a trip down the country

No, not at all. My opposition is for public health reasons.

No, not at all. My opposition is for public health reasons.

No, if it was you’d refrain from your Ireland holiday too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

At this point you're trolling, but lets give you the benefit of the doubt for a second. You dont reply to genuine questions so I will give you an opportunity. If you dont give proper answers then its clear you're trolling and the mods can decide if it should continue or not.

1. Regardless of what Leo said, experts aren't aligned with him or Tony. The ECDC (European Centre of Disease Control) by way of their studies do not see any scientific reason for borders to remain closed.

"Border closures were implemented extensively in response to SARS-CoV-2, with the aim of reducing long-distance transmission and importation. However, available evidence does not support recommending border closures, which cause significant secondary effects and societal and economic disruption in the EU. Border closures result in substantial challenges for logistics, trade and the movement of people, particularly during a crisis period."

You can read their latest report here:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/RRA-COVID19-update10-2020-06-11.pdf

With that in mind, what evidence are you basing your plea for people not to leave the country?

2. However lets assume for a moment the experts are wrong and travelling to another country is risky even if that country has a lower rate of COVID-19 than Ireland, what scientific evidence do you have that shows that there is no risk of virus spread from Irish tourists leaving Dublin to visit other counties, as you and your 113 friends are keen to do?

You're very passionate about it so Im sure you can easily address these 2 legitimate questions.

Beechwoodspark

This thread was all positivity till you came along

Again, can you please go to the Covid forum with your woes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Play nice or we'll be locking another thread....

This forum is for travel so I think it's fair enough that people discuss travelling on this forum.

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    Play nice or we'll be locking another thread....

This forum is for travel so I think it's fair enough that people discuss travelling on this forum.

Instead of "locking another thread", here's a crazy idea:

How about some actual Modding and removal of this troll and trouble maker. This thread was all positivity till they derailed it

Might be an idea instead of the usual lazy padlocking that goes on in this Subforum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Would it not be as straightforward as Leo et al are trying to keep us in Ireland as long as possible so we can spend here and get the economy moving hence the quarantine regulation and the advice not to travel. Even though Europe is opening up.

Anyways I'm off to Lanzarote on July 20th for 8 nights with the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Merrickman95

Me and my partner are leaving after 3 months of lockdown here on Monday to Amsterdam the lockdown is over for tourism in mainland Europe and a few flights are back on. Then we fly back to Italy to her home. Hoping not to get stopped at any borders hahah

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Instead of "locking another thread", here's a crazy idea:

How about some actual Modding and removal of this troll and trouble maker. This thread was all positivity till they derailed it

Might be an idea instead of the usual lazy padlocking that goes on in this Subforum

ShineOn7 is taking a break from this forum.

Might I remind everyone that mods often have families and full time jobs and do this voluntarily. We do our best, but are busy. Again, play nice.

faceman wrote: »
    At this point you're trolling, but lets give you the benefit of the doubt for a second. You dont reply to genuine questions so I will give you an opportunity. If you dont give proper answers then its clear you're trolling and the mods can decide if it should continue or not.

1. Regardless of what Leo said, experts aren't aligned with him or Tony. The ECDC (European Centre of Disease Control) by way of their studies do not see any scientific reason for borders to remain closed.

"Border closures were implemented extensively in response to SARS-CoV-2, with the aim of reducing long-distance transmission and importation. However, available evidence does not support recommending border closures, which cause significant secondary effects and societal and economic disruption in the EU. Border closures result in substantial challenges for logistics, trade and the movement of people, particularly during a crisis period."

You can read their latest report here:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/RRA-COVID19-update10-2020-06-11.pdf

With that in mind, what evidence are you basing your plea for people not to leave the country?

2. However lets assume for a moment the experts are wrong and travelling to another country is risky even if that country has a lower rate of COVID-19 than Ireland, what scientific evidence do you have that shows that there is no risk of virus spread from Irish tourists leaving Dublin to visit other counties, as you and your 113 friends are keen to do?

You're very passionate about it so Im sure you can easily address these 2 legitimate questions.

Sorry only seeing your questions now so I will answer them as best I can

I am saying the official advice is NO travel for tourism or leisure outside the country - Varadkar reiterated that yesterday - and as long as that’s the advice I am asking everyone to follow it.

I also have a suspicion that the very act of going to dublin airport, mingling at departures there, then getting on a plane and travelling to often quite large airports and mingling with everyone there in arrivals then travelling on wards to a holiday resort is more likely to result in C19 infections than someone travelling in their own car from say newbridge to a self catering cottage in west cork.

In scenario 1 there you could easily be in contact with 1000 ppl. In scenario 2 it would be more like 10-20 depending on how much socializing you do in west cork on arrival. If you strictly stay in the cottage for the staycation you could minimize the contact even more.

Sorry now If this is seen as “negative”. Call me mad?! But that’s my calculation

Sorry only seeing your questions now so I will answer them as best I can

I am saying the official advice is no travel for tourism or leisure outside the country - Varadkar reiterated that yesterday - and as long as that’s the advice I am asking everyone to follow it.

I also have a suspicion that the very act of going to dublin airport, mingling at departures there, then getting on a plane and travelling to often quite large airports and mingling with everyone there in arrivals then travelling on wards to a holiday resort is more likely to result in C19 infections than someone travelling in their own car from say newbridge to a self catering cottage in west cork.

In scenario 1 there you could easily be in contact with 1000 ppl. In scenario 2 it would be more like 10-20 depending on how much socializing you do in west cork on arrival. If you strictly stay in the cottage for the staycation you could minimize the contact even more.

Sorry now If this is seen as “negative”. Call me mad?! But that’s my calculation

I hope you factored in to your calculations that a lot of people use public transport when holidaying in Ireland. I know people who travel on crowded buses and trains from Dublin to Galway and other destinations. I hope you are “ advising “and “asking” people not to travel within Ireland.

On your self catering holiday you will have to visit shops. You could spread it to someone in a shop who then in turn spreads it to the rest of their town, bear that in mind.

I hope you factored in to your calculations that a lot of people use public transport when holidaying in Ireland. I know people who travel on crowded buses and trains from Dublin to Galway and other destinations. I hope you are “ advising “and “asking” people not to travel within Ireland.

On your self catering holiday you will have to visit shops. You could spread it to someone in a shop who then in turn spreads it to the rest of their town, bear that in mind.

If you are going to put in all sorts of scenarios I can just counter it - 2 can play that game.

ppl could do their shopping pre arriving at west cork.

Therefore not mixing further in shops in cork.

You see Micky, it’s simple to just magic up scenarios like you did in retaliation to my post.

Maybe instead deal with the substance of my argument?

I am saying ppl who travel abroad will have a higher chance of infection and then reintroducing that infection back into Ireland.

Sorry now If that’s “negative” or you don’t want to hear it. My primary concern is vulnerable ppl in Irish society.

If you are going to put in all sorts of scenarios I can just counter it - 2 can play that game.

ppl could do their shopping pre arriving at west cork. Therefore not mixing further in shops in cork.

You see, it’s simple to just magic up scenarios like you did in retaliation to my post.

Maybe instead deal with the substance of my argument?

I am saying ppl who travel abroad will have a higher chance of infection and then reintroducing that infection back into Ireland.

Sorry now If that’s “negative” or you don’t want to hear it. My primary concern is vulnerable ppl in Irish society.

So you are not advising or asking people to refrain from travelling on crowded buses and trains throughout a country that has a virus?

So you are not advising or asking people to refrain from travelling on crowded buses and trains throughout a country that has a virus?

I said private car in my scenario

However on the issue you specifically ask IF people are travelling in public transport the advice is to maintain social distancing and wear face masks.

• Advertisement

I said private car in my scenario

However on the issue you specifically ask IF people are travelling in public transport the advice is to maintain social distancing and wear face masks.

So you aren’t advising against it. A vast majority of people use public transport to travel within Ireland

Airports now have protocols in place that will insure social distancing and boarding procedures. Also masks will be used. Passengers will only be allowed in the terminals.

You are safer on a plane than you are on a crowded bus due to it’s air conditioned filtration system. Funny how we never seen headlines of cabin crews becoming ill.

Unless you advise and ask people not to travel within Ireland you are just trolling without a doubt.

So you aren’t advising against it. A vast majority of people use public transport to travel within Ireland

Airports now have protocols in place that will insure social distancing and boarding procedures. Also masks will be used. Passengers will only be allowed in the terminals.

You are safer on a plane than you are on a crowded bus due to it’s air conditioned filtration system. Funny how we never seen headlines of cabin crews becoming ill.

Unless you advise and ask people not to travel within Ireland you are just trolling without a doubt.

Ok...deep breaths...

so Micky either willfully or not somewhere along the line you have started talking about “a vast majority” using public transport to travel within Ireland.

I am talking about actual staycations not general travel through Ireland.

Do you have data to back up your claims?

Data that shows a “a vast majority” use public transport to travel to their staycations?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

I'd say ignore the troll Micky bud. Obviously has it in for foreign trips ha.

I'd say ignore the troll Micky bud. Obviously has it in for foreign trips ha.

So I’m a troll for pointing out scenario 1 means contact with 1000 others and scenario 2 means contact with 40 ppl tops?

and then from that concluding that scenario 1 is more likely to result in infections

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

So I’m a troll for pointing out scenario 1 means contact with 1000 others and scenario 2 means contact with 40 ppl tops?

and then from that concluding that scenario 1 is more likely to result in infections

Theres social distancing in airports to all over. No way to be in contact with 1000 people ffs your bonkers

Theres social distancing in airports to all over. No way to be in contact with 1000 people ffs your bonkers

Read my scenario

travel to dublin airport
    Mingle in arrivals - airport stuffy and recycled air con
    Get on plane in close proximity to other pax and crew
    Get off plane in big airport and mingle with departures - recycled air con again
    Travel to holiday resort often in a packed bus etc

Vs

Get in own car and drive to west cork self catering cottage.

Make your own mind up

If I have some how miscalulated the infection risk between these two options let me know

• Advertisement

Ok...deep breaths...

so Micky either willfully or not somewhere along the line you have started talking about “a vast majority” using public transport to travel within Ireland.

I am talking about actual staycations not general travel through Ireland.

Do you have data to back up your claims?

Data that shows a “a vast majority” use public transport to travel to their staycations?

Oh give over. Stop trolling. What do you actually think a staycation is? If people go on a staycation they’re not going to take a holiday half a mile down the road from their house lol.

Bus Eireann is quite a busy bus transporting people across Ireland. Research it.

Unless you condemn any travel be it throughout Ireland or Europe when there’s a virus about i just can’t take you serious at all.

The overall sense I get is some ppl want to disregard all reasonable thinking and more or less say screw you to the rest of the country especially vulnerable members of the community once they get their cheap flight to costa Del Wherever for 2 weeks. It’s not worth it, seriously.

Oh give over. Stop trolling. What do you actually think a staycation is? If people go on a staycation they’re not going to take a holiday half a mile down the road from their house lol.

Bus Eireann is quite a busy bus transporting people across Ireland. Research it.

Unless you condemn any travel be it throughout Ireland or Europe when there’s a virus about i just can’t take you serious at all.

Can you please have a read of the two scenarios I have posted and tell me which, in your opinion, is the riskier for infections

Read my scenario

travel to dublin airport
    Mingle in arrivals - airport stuffy and recycled air con
    Get on plane in close proximity to other pax and crew
    Get off plane in big airport and mingle with departures - recycled air con again
    Travel to holiday resort often in a packed bus etc

Vs

Get in own car and drive to west cork self catering cottage.

Make your own mind up

If I have some how miscalulated the infection risk between these two options let me know

Once again you conveniently forgot to add stuffy public transport throughout Ireland in your scenarios.

Yes, That’s not in the scenarios I have provided to you to comment on micky

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement