Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of burning logs in chimnea

Options
  • 17-05-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

So ive been searching for the answer to this. All the laws and bylaws i find talk about backyard burning and burning garden waste and household waste but i cant seem to find the answer to burning clean untreated dried wood either off cuts from woodworking of store bought logs and kindling.
    Anyone know? I sometimes light a fire like this, maybe twice a year and produce very little smoke but my neighbour burns all kinds of things and its very annoying, today i coild smell plastic birning. My house does be stinking from it. Today we got an ash shower which was fun.
    Im not one to rat people out but ive no problem Knocking on his door(house is behind us on a different road) and telling him to cut it out.
    Anyway i was wondering are all backyard fires illegal? Or can he just say im just burning wood, How could i say otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

iamtony wrote: »
    So ive been searching for the answer to this. All the laws and bylaws i find talk about backyard burning and burning garden waste and household waste but i cant seem to find the answer to burning clean untreated dried wood either off cuts from woodworking of store bought logs and kindling.
    Anyone know? I sometimes light a fire like this, maybe twice a year and produce very little smoke but my neighbour burns all kinds of things and its very annoying, today i coild smell plastic birning. My house does be stinking from it. Today we got an ash shower which was fun.
    Im not one to rat people out but ive no problem Knocking on his door(house is behind us on a different road) and telling him to cut it out.
    Anyway i was wondering are all backyard fires illegal? Or can he just say im just burning wood, How could i say otherwise.

I would say he would tell you to f off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I would say he would tell you to f off.
    Well thats why im trying to get the facts. I know what he is doing is illegal and he is burning rubbish but im just wondering if i threatened to call the garda next time could he just say he is burning clean wood or is it all illegal to do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a useful contribution, which completely fails to answer the question.

i suspect, if there's an absence of legislation, that it's one of those cases where it's handled as a nuisance issue rather than anything else.
    if it's a dry wood fire, reaching a good heat, smoke and floating ash won't really be an issue and would be no more intrusive than a barbecue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I know what he is doing is illegal and he is burning rubbish but im just wondering if i threatened to call the garda next time
    the gardai wouldn't get involved, it'd be the council. if the fumes were problematic, they'd send an environmental officer around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Forget the legalities, just have a civil conversation and ask him if he can go easy on the plastic and things of that nature, particularly when the wind is strong or blowing your direction and I'm sure he will be see your point

Throwing out by laws or mentioning the council will just get his back up and you might end up with bigger problems.

• Advertisement

i suspect, if there's an absence of legislation, that it's one of those cases where it's handled as a nuisance issue rather than anything else.
    if it's a dry wood fire, reaching a good heat, smoke and floating ash won't really be an issue and would be no more intrusive than a barbecue.
    When i do a fire myself i make sure it very hot before i put hardwood or anything on it and do it properly like loads of people do but this chap is just plain ol' burning his rubbish. He does it at all hours. It stinks big time. I doubt he gets his bins collected at all. The annoying thing is he does it closer to my house than his.

I think it does answer the question,if you want to live in harmony with your neighbour put up with it or you may eventually be seeking a move.

I think it does answer the question,if you want to live in harmony with your neighbour put up with it or you may eventually be seeking a move.
    Its not really a neighbour just over the back wall type of neighbour. To walk to his front door would take ten minutes. I couldnt care if it started trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Report to council.

Council will usually take it seriously and provide as much evidence as possible....

Report to council.

Council will usually take it seriously and provide as much evidence as possible....

Thanks, im not one to report people it's not how i was raised but i would like to knock on his door and threaten him with the law once i know its all illegal. And if he keeps it up then ill hose his fire:D

• Advertisement

Forget the legalities, just have a civil conversation
    this, but beware 'a civil conversation' may not end in a civil manner. have been there, in relation to a barking dog.

this, but beware 'a civil conversation' may not end in a civil manner. have been there, in relation to a barking dog.

Yeah maybe its the best course of action. Still would like to know if its legal to light a garden fire in the first place. I lit one myself this year to burn a bit of hedge i had cut last year so it was dried out bit it started billowing out smoke so i put it out with the hose because I'm a decent neighbour and seen neighbours had washing on their line and knew it would smell.

Yeah maybe its the best course of action. Still would like to know if its legal to light a garden fire in the first place. I lit one myself this year to burn a bit of hedge i had cut last year so it was dried out bit it started billowing out smoke so i put it out with the hose because I'm a decent neighbour and seen neighbours had washing on their line and knew it would smell.

In certain areas it is and check out council bye laws on it....

If burning plastic or tyres then that's a toxic nightmare and totally illegal....

If it's as bad as you say I'd go council route and have nothing to do with them... Then they will know it's you...

In certain areas it is and check out council bye laws on it....

If burning plastic or tyres then that's a toxic nightmare and totally illegal....

If it's as bad as you say I'd go council route and have nothing to do with them... Then they will know it's you...
    Oh it's that bad alright. Goes on all year long. Today i got fed up with it.
    My daugher came out of the house and said dad what's all that in the air it looks like snow. I was down the end of the garden 10 feet from the sourse of it and i said(loudly) , its jist some asshole burning rubbish down the end of his garden away from his house, can you smell the plastic birnong and everything. I though this might startly him bit he kept burning for a few hours aftsr that so obviously he doesnt give a crap.
    The interesting thing is an old man used to live in the same house but moved and he did it so much that one of the neighbours called the fire brigade and it then stopped till the new neighbours started again.
    I wondered did he move at all but when you look at his house on street view at the moment, the sale agreed sign is still in the garden.

Im in Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Feckers like that neighbour are usually avoiding bin charges. They might be dumping other rubbish elsewhere too. Do they put out bins? If not, contact the Co. Council and report that they have no bins etc. They'll act.

Im in Dublin city.

Council, get onto right away, that's an environment issue and a fire hazard...

Honestly you need to sort it

deandean wrote: »
    Feckers like that neighbour are usually avoiding bin charges. They might be dumping other rubbish elsewhere too. Do they put out bins? If not, contact the Co. Council and report that they have no bins etc. They'll act.
    I wouldnt see his bins he is on a totally different road.

Council, get onto right away, that's an environment issue and a fire hazard...

Honestly you need to sort it
    Oh i know its an environmental issue my house does stink when he is at it. I just have to leave my sitting room and i know he is at it.

Oh i know its an environmental issue my house does stink when he is at it. I just have to leave my sitting room and i know he is at it.

Do up an email and send it off.. simple.....

Contact local fire station too and ask for advice, state you are afraid the ash could cause a house fire etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you haven't complained to him yet, don't.

Just report him to the council. Maintain plausible deniability.

He's burning rubbish because he doesn't like being told what to do. Threatening him with the council will not go well.

or you could do what i did. some workmen were tearing out old wardrobes from a house near me - probably chipboard faced with plastic, and burning them in a pile in the back garden. the smoke was choking. i rang the council, 'we will be able to send someone around tomorrow'. rang the gardai, they seemed disinterested. so i rang the fire brigade - but via the main switch because it was a controlled burn and i didn't want to ring 999 because it was wasn't an emergency. the chap on the other end of the line was adamant i give the address (i was playing it cautiously at first), because if i thought the smoke was bad, someone with breathing difficulties or a small child would find it even worse.

anyway, less than ten minutes later, they were on scene dousing the fire, and AFAIK would have hit the chaps with a callout charge (€500 or €1000, i think).

I wouldnt see his bins he is on a totally different road.
    You would if you walked the 10 minutes you tell us you are from his front door,i have a feeling this whole thing is a bit of a jokeshop and you are just gowling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

My in laws in Cork had a similar issue, neighbours were burning their rubbish. The council were informed and they sent an environmental officer around within 10 days. It took 3 or 4 visits over 6 weeks but the practice did stop.

You would if you walked the 10 minutes you tell us you are from his front door,i have a feeling this whole thing is a bit of a jokeshop and you are just gowling around.

Yeah ok buddy ill do you one better, ill hire a private detective to do a stake out and watch his bins collection schedule and report back.
    Whats your purpose on this thread? My bet is you burn your own rubbish and think its grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Forget the legalities, just have a civil conversation and ask him if he can go easy on the plastic and things of that nature, particularly when the wind is strong or blowing your direction and I'm sure he will be see your point

Throwing out by laws or mentioning the council will just get his back up and you might end up with bigger problems.

If he is the type to burn plastic and rubbish in a neighbourhood, then he is probably an inconsidereate bollox and probably not the type that you will get any good out of by talking to him. Take pictures and get on the the waste enforcement section in the Council and ask them to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

iamtony, meet your neighbour, zimmermania.

iamtony, meet your neighbour, zimmermania.
    Haha imagine.

Yeah ok buddy ill do you one better, ill hire a private detective to do a stake out and watch his bins collection schedule and report back.
    Whats your purpose on this thread? My bet is you burn your own rubbish and think its grand.

If you make silly bets you are sure to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Thanks, im not one to report people it's not how i was raised...

I hope you never witness anything more serious than waste burning.

Advertisement