Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road BBC 1 NI Now

Options
  • 17-05-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭

Tribute to the dunlops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Tribute to the dunlops.
    Powerful stuff. An amazing family. Never saw it in full before.
    But what a kick in the teeth at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Breezin wrote: »
    Powerful stuff. An amazing family. Never saw it in full before.
    But what a kick in the teeth at the end.

Yes it was so sad, great insight into road racing , some families passion for it,and the huge risk involved.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Yes it was so sad, great insight into road racing , some families passion for it,and the huge risk involved.
    Yeah. I'm really not convinced the risk is worth it. I think it was Michael who said if it happens, who cares. That's quite a philosophy.

They talk about the thrill of riding on the edge, but I think that they were actually over the edge most of the time and it just didn't get them.

When you have a passion for something like that, and you can see why they would, it must be hard to look past it. Kudos to those who do it, but I'd rather spectate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I eat sleep and breathe bikes but the price that family's paid... I suppose it must be a completely different mind set to be a road racer. Perhaps these kinds of folks are the ones who are first to climb that mountain or ski that slope or pilot that jet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Breezin wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm really not convinced the risk is worth it. I think it was Michael who said if it happens, who cares. That's quite a philosophy.

They talk about the thrill of riding on the edge, but I think that they were actually over the edge most of the time and it just didn't get them.

When you have a passion for something like that, and you can see why they would, it must be hard to look past it. Kudos to those who do it, but I'd rather spectate.

All racing is done at the edge, road racers don't have a safety margin when they go over it like track racers, if they were over the edge there would be more crashes. They know the risks, especially the Dunlop family, yet still choose to go out nearly every weekend and race.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    All racing is done at the edge, road racers don't have a safety margin when they go over it like track racers, if they were over the edge there would be more crashes. They know the risks, especially the Dunlop family, yet still choose to go out nearly every weekend and race.

I admire them for it. They live, and have lived, more in their lives, even if shortened by the sport they love, than many who will live to 90. I'd love to do it but I wouldn't have the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

great doc, I saw it premier in cinema when it came out with some none biking friends and they were amazed by the story & tragedy . I started watching it again but had to turn if off when William came on talking and i remembered hes passed away since too :mad:

Advertisement