Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World tour -- PEEHS go first class, SHEEP have their special day

Options
  • 17-05-2020 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Okay I will try my hand at this ... world tour begins right here, you score ten points for every unique guess and lose one for every duplicated guess (the more duplicates, the fewer points, for example, if you choose a location that nine other people choose, you get zero points).

In every case, the sole authority as to eligible locations is wikipedia lists of top thirty candidates. Choose 31st or lower and your guess automatically scores zero.

Here we go, your choices by PM to moi at Tour Central.

(1) One of the world's thirty largest fresh water lakes.

(2) One of the world's thirty longest rivers.

(3) One of the world's thirty largest islands (note, Greenland whether in the list or not is not eligible, choose any island smaller than Greenland).

(4) One of the world's thirty largest cities (by metropolitan area population).

(5) A seat at the next home game of this famous football club (no top thirty restrictions but must have won a national championship in a World Cup final four country in both cases since 2001 and or the Champions League since 2000).

(6) A cruise on this "sea" (any oceanic body of water with the name Sea attached, no inland sea accepted, e.g., Caspian Sea, what's left of the Aral Sea etc, ineligible). Must be on earth (no lunar seas etc).

(7) A visit to this famous tourist destination (note carefully, points are reversed, you must choose a popular location to score on this one).

(8) A registered airline that you will use for travel (no top thirty restriction, must fly globally and not be restricted to any one continent to qualify).

(9) A travel budget between 100,000 and 100,030 euros (to the nearest euro, no decimal, if you provide one, your guess is rounded off). (note guess can include those two limits)

(10) Your travel companion from this list -- living U.S. presidents, living U.K. prime ministers, living (British) Open (golf) champions, living actresses who have won an Oscar since 1999.

Contest closes when 30 have entered. Good luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm in!

I’m struggling to understand No5. Is it a country, city or team name you want?

I wondered as well.....a bit unclearly worded tbh. I answered with a team......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Number 5 is a bit confusing alright
    The way I interpret it is:
    we are looking for a football club.
    This football club needs to be from a league/country that has made it to the semi finals of a world cup after 2001 (so 2002-2006-2010-2014-2018)
    This football club has won the league in their country or has won the Champions League.

I will wait for Cranium to clarify before submitting my answers.

Edit: for number 7 are we looking for a city or a monument?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think there's just a few commas missing from the categories the team can be from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Woooo geography! I'm in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Number 5 is a bit confusing alright
    The way I interpret it is:
    we are looking for a football club.
    This football club needs to be from a league/country that has made it to the semi finals of a world cup after 2001 (so 2002-2006-2010-2014-2018)
    This football club has won the league in their country or has won the Champions League.

I will wait for Cranium to clarify before submitting my answers.

Edit: for number 7 are we looking for a city or a monument?

Took me several reads, but that's exactly how I went for it.

Regarding No. 7, this is a Sheep answer and no wrong answers in Sheep.

I have used a new strategy for this one.

Enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks for entries submitted so far, you were correct in your interpretation of the football club question, as long as your answer conforms to those restrictions I will consider anything easily identifiable to a given football club as valid (e.g. if somebody said Munich I would figure they meant Bayern Munich and vice versa).

The tourist destination can be anything you choose, as a "sheep" question you are trying to match others in this one case, and there again I would be generous in the inclusion of apparently similar guesses, to give an example which nobody is likely to choose, "Einstein's birthplace" and "Bern old town" would be considered the same destination but "Switzerland" would not match them.

I will check the private messages later and answer any questions in them by private message return.

Looks like this may fill up by end of the week at the rate we are going. Bring a mask, sanitizer, personal physician, and be sure to have at least two million euros in life insurance.

Just to clarify one other point, I mentioned Greenland is not eligible in the largest islands section, but you are still restricted to numbers two to thirty if in fact you find a list with Greenland at number one, number thirty-one is not eligible. If any list differs from the wikipedia list, which it shouldn't, then the wikipedia list takes precedence if they disagree on eligibility (not ranking, that won't matter).

Here's a new rule too, in the off chance of a tie overall, the winner is determined from choosing the larger (or largest) island, if that fails to break the tie, then the largest island, then the largest city.

Did you know that the largest island on a lake on an island in a lake is somewhere in northern well it doesn't really matter we're not going there.

• Advertisement

Okay so I had a look at entries, and all seems well there, except for one invalid submission in the budget category. Check your numbers against the rules (if you care). I will let all know if the invalid answer is corrected (then you won't need to check if you didn't yet).

Some of the people you choose to spend three months to three years with ... shudder.

Entries are coming in at an astounding rate, well not really, but I've already had to go to the police station twice over antics of your invited guests (one charge of impersonating a politician and one charge of grand larceny on 18th hole have been laid). Mind how you go. (my estimate is that this will fill up around Wednesday evening or Thursday, if we get a large volume I may break it into two contests).

Just a note to entrants -- I have a quick look and if I spot a guess that I know will be disqualified, I send out a PM but I don't have all the relevant info in my head and I may miss such guesses until the validation begins. So it's your responsibility ultimately to make your selections conform with the rules as shown.

Just FYI the only living U.S. presidents are Trump, Obama, Bush (Jr), Clinton and Carter. Millard Fillmore would probably be better company than me but he's been dead for about 150 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In it to mid table it!

so,I want PEEHS answers for all except the one SHEEP question, is that right??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bubblypop wrote: »
    so,I want PEEHS answers for all except the one SHEEP question, is that right??

That's what I aimed for anyways..

That's right, one SHEEP question, nine PEEHS ... sounds like me after a night out.

We are up to nearly 20 entries, will be calling it around end of the week or when we reach 30. Hurry scurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

For my sins, I'm in, MT. PM this afternoon. PM winging its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That's right, one SHEEP question, nine PEEHS ... sounds like me after a night out.

We are up to nearly 20 entries, will be calling it around end of the week or when we reach 30. Hurry scurry.

Can someone tell me, again :( , the difference between sheep and peehs?

Sheep is most popular answer (think Family Fortunes)
    Peehs is least popular answer (think Pointless)

• Advertisement

I may be calling this full soon, would ask any interested readers to submit an entry by Monday night latest, and a decision will follow about closing and revealing the results. I am guessing that people prefer a reveal on a weekend but do people ever do them mid-week evenings? Anyway, unless there's a surge we may have a few empty seats on the plane, entry count was a little over 20 last time I checked. No particular reason to wait for 30 other than the 30 available choices in some categories (29 to 31 anyway). I suppose a FAQ that is not asked is a FUQ, and here's one for sure -- any island larger than Greenland is definitely going to end up as a d.q. guess, that would be yer continent mate. And Greenland itself has been ruled out by me (the cantankerous old s.o.b.). Back when I've bailed out travel companions 5, 9, 12 and 17.

What's your beef with Greenland? :confused:

I'm intrigued!

I may be calling this full soon, would ask any interested readers to submit an entry by Monday night latest, and a decision will follow about closing and revealing the results. I am guessing that people prefer a reveal on a weekend but do people ever do them mid-week evenings?

Reveals certainly happen midweek, so you an do it whenever suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

If there's still a seat on the plane, can I board.

Will have my answers packed and stowed in overhead locker this afternoon.

No beef with Greenland, just feel it's too big to count as an island even though wikipedia lists it as the largest one. As I've mentioned to some entrants (all of whom replaced the guess) Australia is a continent not an island, the difference of course is subjective, I suppose the world's largest island is Eurasia plus Africa then there's the Americas. But all of these are (several) continents, as is Antarctica.

How about then if we close this later today and do the reveal on Wednesday at around 8 p.m.? I will need a moderator to change the tag on the original post, this could be automatic any time after 10 p.m. today which is when I would be sending a moderator a message to change the tag. So entries welcome up until this evening.

8pm Wednesday suits me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

In

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    If there's still a seat on the plane, can I board.

Will have my answers packed and stowed in overhead locker this afternoon.

Took me a while to find my flip-flops.

In.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hope I got mine in on time...

• Advertisement

Just sending a request for this thread to be tagged "closed" but all entries in my in-box are on time.

Reveal will happen Wednesday evening starting around 8 p.m. (in the usual place). Thanks for playing.

Advertisement