Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncturing airtight membrane to being electrics outside

• 18-05-2020 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi,
    I live in this development
    https://www.kingspan.com/irl/en-ie/product-groups/engineered-timber-system/engineered-timber-frame-systems/projects/residential/stepaside

When Castlethorn built these homes using the Kingspan timber frame system, they didn't put in a service conduit to allow electrics/water to be brought outside.

I wish to bring electrics/water out the back but I'm worried about the damage to the airtight membrane and possible impact on BER.

So far the few people I've spoken to have taken a "sure bit of foam and it'll be grand" attitude.

Is there a right way to do this to ensure I don't compromise the membrane which could cause dampness and other issues?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The foam wont work because IIRC there is a membrane on the outside of the OSB layer which is not accessible from behind the brickwork
    Equally there will be another membrane inside the pb over the insulation in the TF.
    So you will need to figure out how to fix them properly which foam wont do.
    Might not be the neatest but the elec should be possible to bring out through the soffit board and the water could be taken from the CW tank in the attic

Strictly speaking you are only allowed one connection from the rising main, the kitchen sink, that supplies the CW tank so intercepting the RM between the meter and the house is not permitted

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

The foam wont work because IIRC there is a membrane on the outside of the OSB layer which is not accessible from behind the brickwork
    Equally there will be another membrane inside the pb over the insulation in the TF.
    So you will need to figure out how to fix them properly which foam wont do.
    Might not be the neatest but the elec should be possible to bring out through the soffit board and the water could be taken from the CW tank in the attic

Strictly speaking you are only allowed one connection from the rising main, the kitchen sink, that supplies the CW tank so intercepting the RM between the meter and the house is not permitted

thanks Calahonda52 - hadn't considered the soffit board for the elec

Advertisement