Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of training required?

Options
  • 18-05-2020 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello,

Looking for a pointer in the right direction here if anyone can help. I tried SOLAS however didn't find what I was looking for.

I work as part of a team who build hydraulic equipment with low voltage (12V dc) electrics. The company is planning to build "high" voltage 3 phase machines 440V in replacement of the hydraulics. We are just an assembly plant the design is carried out externally.

I have been asked to find out what training would be required to up skill the team from pulling hyd pipes etc to pulling in cables, routing from point A to point B and making sure they are properly secured to the frame of the machine.

A qualified electrician will be doing the motor connections etc part of the work.

Any pointers will be great.

Thanks,

WM

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I doubt there is any official qualification required for this. Cable pullers are frequently used on large project and they a required to have no formal technical training.

I would suggest that you get a qualified electrician to supervise the installation for the first couple of times. Careful testing and termination by a suitably qualified professional is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess just some basic guidance on avoiding sharp edges and things like that when pulling the cable plus identifying which cable is going ot which motor. And yeah it will be a qualified electrician doing the termination & testing part.

WM

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

You also need to consider equipotential bonding more now than when you were dealing with hydraulics.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Out of curiosity and to ensure I'm asking the team designing the right questions what standards should they be designing to? Is there something like ISO9001 but for electrics (no doubt there are too many to chose from!)? And actually the same question for the guy doing the testing / verification of the install is there something specific he needs trained to? I assume 17th edition is not enough.

WM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

water-man wrote: »
    Out of curiosity and to ensure I'm asking the team designing the right questions what standards should they be designing to? Is there something like ISO9001 but for electrics (no doubt there are too many to chose from!)? And actually the same question for the guy doing the testing / verification of the install is there something specific he needs trained to? I assume 17th edition is not enough.

WM

I'd put good money on the Machinery Directive (EN16005, iirc) and the current regs. Don't quote me on that though, I've been known to be wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't forget quality audits of workmanship and CLCA, etc. SixSigma, or the like.

Advertisement