Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

why? it just means its a very easy course. 4 or 5 better than CSS it perfectly fine as a normal winning score with 100 or so playing.

Well the SSS should be well under par if CSS is 40+

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Any issues around the cup depth and upcoming competitions?

In our place they've made the cups shallower for obvious reasons. What I'm noticing and hearing is that putts that may drop in normal circumstances are not dropping. I know it's subjective, but I've seen it.

If I'm playing a singles comp and a putt that would normally drop doesn't, I would be annoyed, especially with the handicap on the line.

Have you noticed it?

And are clubs finding ways around this? E.g. using one of those foot devices to remove the ball safely from the normal depth hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

D Hayes wrote: »

In our place they've made the cups shallower for obvious reasons. What I'm noticing and hearing is that putts that may drop in normal circumstances are not dropping. I know it's subjective, but I've seen it.

If I'm playing a singles comp and a putt that would normally drop doesn't, I would be annoyed, especially with the handicap on the line.

Have you noticed it?

And are clubs finding ways around this? E.g. using one of those foot devices to remove the ball safely from the normal depth hole.

We've went from one of those devices to the shallow cup and no complaints here. The device was far more off putting and made much more of a difference to putting imo. They went back to the shallow cups after feedback.

D Hayes wrote: »

Have you noticed it?

You can raise and lower the plastic insert that we use, on some hole they were far too shallow and the ball wasnt even halfway in.

I much prefer them to the lever things, it seems that every second hole left me with a putt where my line was straight at the lever and I had more than one bounce out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I hate the shallow cups. Definitely had one or two pop out that you'd normally expect to stay in.

We have the attachment thing you lift with your putter, and i love them. Hope they leave them in full time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’m in 2 clubs. One club have turned the cups upside down. The style of cup has 3 kind of bars, well if you can imagine clock hands pointing at 12 4 & 8. They are quite bulky. I’ve seen a good few putts roll into the cup gently, roll over the bar, hit the pin and roll back across the bar staying out. I’ve seen others roll around the hole and staying out. Normal days 100% of these putts would have dropped 100% of the time.

In the other club we have one of those things you lift up with your putter. It adds a thicker dimension to the base of the flag. I’ve seen one putt hit that not dropping and it was quite clear the contraption kept it out.

I can’t see how we would be allowed to deem the last shots to have been held so it will make things interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Kiith wrote: »
    We have the attachment thing you lift with your putter, and i love them. Hope they leave them in full time.

We have that in ours and I've seen several putts which strike the flag pole dead centre not go in because the diameter is slightly wider than normal. Still probably better than shallow cups though

We have that in ours and I've seen several putts which strike the flag pole dead centre not go in because the diameter is slightly wider than normal. Still probably better than shallow cups though

I think this idea is the best. However I think it could be improved and instead of a sleeve over the flagstick if the lifter was down through the centre of the pole. It would mean new flagsticks though and expensive but might be better in the long run....... I mean how long will this last, possibly forever

I hate the shallow cups. Definitely had one or two pop out that you'd normally expect to stay in.

If you see a cup that looks too shallow, just poke it down a bit more (assuming you are using the plastic clip on attachment, it slides up and down the flagpole)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I saw that Saturday but they (Tullamore) have also wrapped masking tape along the bottom the the pole, this to me changes the way the ball reacts when it hits the pole, also when putting straight into the attachment you need to go up to it and face it on the blind side of the pole as hitting it will certainly not have the same ball reaction as it not being there.
    Also not liking the bunkers, I was forever ending up in either a hole or a mound behind where I strike the ball so after a few fliers I just smoothed out where the ball was with my foot and dropped the ball for a more playable lie.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

slingerz wrote: »
    42 wouldn’t get you much in our place. CSS was regularly 39/40 points last year. Not unusual so see 45/46 points come in. Highest I recall from last year was a 49

The CSS been that high to me indicates that they are artificially keeping handicaps high for team competition purposes.

Unless it is a really easy course. But what course plays 3 shots easier

gypsy79 wrote: »
    The CSS been that high to me indicates that they are artificially keeping handicaps high for team competition purposes.

Unless it is a really easy course. But what course plays 3 shots easier

It should sort itself out over time. If people keep coming in with 42 should they not be cut.

It should sort itself out over time. If people keep coming in with 42 should they not be cut.

Not if the SSS is 40 points and CSS ends up at 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

No, they will be cut to 3 higher than they would be if it the CSS was 36

Definitely very suspicious and stinks of cheating to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Playing well so looking forward to qualifying comps coming back so I can get the handicap down.

What is the story with preferred lies in bunkers and qualifying comps? Have most clubs a local rule in place now?

Pins in all the time will be a bone of contention. In most casual rounds i have played lately we agreed that any putt hitting the flag-stick, but not going in, are given. Plenty of good putts have pinged out because of leaning flag stick etc. If flag stick is obviously leaning in a way that will obstruct the ball dropping, you can't get someone to hold it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Or they might be needed for teams...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Wombatman wrote: »
    Playing well so looking forward to qualifying comps coming back so I can get the handicap down.

What is the story with preferred lies in bunkers and qualifying comps? Have most clubs a local rule in place now?

Pins in all the time will be a bone of contention. In most casual rounds i have played lately we agreed that any putt hitting the flag-stick, but not going in, are given. Plenty of good putts have pinged out because of leaning flag stick etc. If flag stick is obviously leaning in a way that will obstruct the ball dropping, you can't get someone to hold it right?

In every round I have played with the new putt buddy things, someone has had a bounce out off the putt buddy. I presume when it will come to competition it's going to be a case of tough sh1t if it happens. I can't see it being any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Phase 3 has open competitions back but looking on Golfnet and BRS there are little to no comps listed except for a few select counties. Any idea what is going on? Was hoping it would be back up and running again next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Clubs reckoning better off without maybe, which I'd be awful in favour of. This corona thing isn't gone away so if you can at all then better off without opens which just makes for more mixing. Some clubs don't need them anyway, some have got a good lot more members in the last few weeks so making up income from that side. So good enough to be back to our own comps, and settle for that for the summer months happily. I'd be happy to see no opens until next year if my club was asking, but each club can decide itself. Plus people will compete in their own clubs if there are much opens on.

Phase 3 has open competitions back but looking on Golfnet and BRS there are little to no comps listed except for a few select counties. Any idea what is going on? Was hoping it would be back up and running again next week.

Clubs have to make the entries themselves on Golfnet. Maybe Clubs haven't done so yet or aren't having any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

It's just strange that a lot of counties are just 0 and some have plenty..it seems more like an updating issue as it does not appear sporadic. For me, who is distance member in my old home club but living elsewhere, I have to rely on opens! Put off joining Dublin club in march due to the pandemic and rejoined old club..whoops!

well clubs would never list their own comps, it is only opens and they don't always list them.

i know a lot of clubs are going to restrict comps initially to members only as demand is high from their own members and it is only right and proper IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Are changing rooms, showers etc likely to be open from next week in golf clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Wombatman wrote: »

As per rules, a flag stick can be attended but once it's attended it must be taken out, I would imagine a local rule would/should be implemented so that your playing partner can straighten the flag stick using a club, we have been doing this up to now..A putt not in hole is not holed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Thinking of getting home for the summer!

What's the story with clubs and green fees?!
    Is there a date for a phase whereby you can play anywhere with an internet booking or is every club doing different things?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

June 29th

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Are changing rooms, showers etc likely to be open from next week in golf clubs?

Ours are open but no showers

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    As per rules, a flag stick can be attended but once it's attended it must be taken out, I would imagine a local rule would/should be implemented so that your playing partner can straighten the flag stick using a club, we have been doing this up to now..A putt not in hole is not holed !!

But we still can’t touch the flagstick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Am I getting this wrong, overreacting or am I right in saying that we're only one step away from no golf? As in the whole country is currently starting at level 2 of the new government covid masterplan and level 3 has no sports allowed already.

Me personally I think that couldn't possibly include golf. That would be a real 'have we learned nothing' type of kick in the balls, but I wouldn't put it past them. GUI have been on the mega conservative side with recommendations around covid and those recommendations' aren't really that anyway. 99.9% of the clubs have treated them as 'orders'.

On a side note pubs -which are still not open now - will be open with restrictions at level 3 and still open (outdoors) at level 4.

What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In fairness, Golf has been getting away with it.

If I was told you could only play at a course where you're a member for now, I'd be fine with that.

The second the door opens for Golf Clubs to allow for it, they get greedy. It's back to normal where I am with people hanging around the clubhouse but the only difference is now, it's almost fully booked out every day.

Advertisement